Hard Disk "Do not Cover the hole"

ankitjain1116

Broken In
Hello

I recently got my drive replaced from HP.And i also posted about the using of hdd in this enclosure Tech-Com affordable, latest, , Mobile Phones, Computer Parts, DVD, LCD Monitor, Keyboard, Speakers

I posted here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/175054-techcom-2-5-inch-sata-casing.html

Now my doubt is that hdd companies do mention do not cover the hole.No doubt i have successfully inserted the hdd into this case.Its working.Afterall TECHCOM is not a chinese.Its a branded available 2.5inch case in INDIA.There is hardly a minimum gap say for just a needle/pin like gap between hdd and surface of case.Will my hdd be malfunctioned bcoz of this?

Also if i am right the hdd's are placed in laptop upside down(hole surface down) then where this DO not cover hole goes??There is not a space between chasis and hdd surface.If we think about portable hdd also same.
I read hole is for mainting air pressure.So how does it manitains???

And please tell me will my hdd will be ok??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
your HDD should work fine but may heat up more .. monitor the temps closely and use this only as a backup solution .. don't keep it plugged in all the time with the pc/laptop.

BTW, Read more about the USB HDD monitoring feature :
*www.hdsentinel.com/compatibility_usbharddisks.php

blackpearl

The Devil
I razor thin gap between hole and chassis is enough to maintain air pressure. The hole is not for ventilation.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
@OP: FYI, the HDD is air tight. if any hole is left open for ventilation, dust will get in. dust is disastrous for the magnetic platters

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the hole is around 0.5mm and there's filter inside so that it can resist dust and blackpearl is right about the part that the hole is there for maintain air pressure so the spindle can rotate flawlessly.

OP
A

ankitjain1116

Broken In
I read hole is for mainting air pressure.So how does it manitains???

If all posters have read clearly i have also wrote the same.The hole is for maintaining air pressure.I know this.
Anyway thanks for comments

and @ Rishi they are not breather ports they are breathing holes ;)

Hrishi

If all posters have read clearly i have also wrote the same.The hole is for maintaining air pressure.I know this.
Anyway thanks for comments

and @ Rishi they are not breather ports they are breathing holes ;)

I think they are same terms. Breather ports are the only holes present on HDD surface. A filter is located below it.

Top Bottom