Hard disk bad sectors.

sukesh1090

Adam young
guys today i ran ubuntu 11.04 live cd and checked my samsung spinpoint F3(HD 103SJ) 1 TB HDD.it is showing some bad sectors in it.gpart showed that there are about 607 bad sectors in one partition.so is it possible to recover those sectors?if yes then how?
thank you.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
bad sectors (physical damage to platter) can't be recovered. if its under warranty, get it replaced ASAP.

reinstalling OS should remap the bad sectors and PC should run stable. still either replace or sell (if warranty expired).

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
i got it as a replacement for my 500GB HDD.so i guess i should have the warranty but not confirm.i got it about 3 months back.is it a very big issue?can't i use this HDD considering the problem with the HDD supply.will this process continue?means will more of the sectors get corrupted?
thanking you.
here is another pic.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^
i got it as a replacement for my 500GB HDD.so i guess i should have the warranty but not confirm.i got it about 3 months back.is it a very big issue?can't i use this HDD considering the problem with the HDD supply.will this process continue?means will more of the sectors get corrupted?
thanking you.

Samsung HDD carries 3yr warranty i guess. then calculate yourself how much warranty remains.

i don't have personal experience regarding bad sectors but from what i have read here, bad sector will continue to increase. so better to get it RMA'd before OS becomes unstable.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've ran a HDD with bad sector for around 2 years but sooner or later you have to RMA it - so get it done Asap ;-)

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
which software screenshot you had taken pleese tell me

i am using ubuntu disk utility.
the os is already unstable.i am not able to boot it in to my win 7 so,i am using ubuntu 11.04 in pendrive.i will call samsung and ask them about the warranty and who will take care of it,seagate or samsung?
thank you.
guys you know how to remap or zero write the bad sectors in ubuntu?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you can zero fill bad sectors but bad sector fixing utilities just mark them unusable so the OS don't use them - the best bad sectors fixing tools should be from your HDD manufacturers ;-)

Tarun

In the zone
actually i had some what the same problem but ones the data in rewritten on the same sector after zero fill it again shows up bad sectors :(

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
I will rma it.i have warranty till sept 2014.got that error number from seatool(you guys must be knowing this rule by seagate to rma the hdd)so now i can safely rma it.how is the service of seagate?

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
k guys looks like my time is not going well.my another seagate 500GB baracuda HDD is also showing bad sectors and seatools is telling it to replace but the problem is i haven't got my first drive back and it may take around 1 month more as i have to send it to Chennai.some days before also it showed bad sectors but when i formatted it and fixed it in ubuntu it was working fine,now again it is showing bad sectors and it is increasing day by day.tried to fix it but it is not working.so i want to know why my HDD are failing?what are the reasons for it?
i get electric shock when i touch my cabby.is this could be a reason for HDD failure or i did force restart for 2 times with the restart button on cabby and three days before power of my system disconnected accidentally as the psu plug was loose and accidentally i hit the cable and system got shut down immediately.so are these could be a reason for HDD failure?bcoz i don't want to send my drives again and again for RMA.
here is a screen shot of hdtune,
[URL=*imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/08february20121843.png/]*img24.imageshack.us/img24/5251/08february20121843.th.png[/URL]

Tarun

In the zone
firstly u are getting the slight shock bcoz the plug point u are using has a open grounding or in simple word no ground. try changing ur plug point or ur spike guard/extension whatever u say. it may be cause due to it too

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
but the problem is i am staying in apartment so it is difficult to correct the grounding to whole house.btw will it get corrected if i get a good spike guard and attach it to a socket which doesn't have a correct grounding facility?
thank you.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
such errors indicate failure at hardware level & i don't think things like reset/defrag/shutdown etc can cause this except maybe some data corruption.electric shock you feel is probably due to improper earthing.your hard disk total usage is 2457 hours which is not much.try WD next time & as for now try running chkdsk /r from windows boot cd/dvd to see if it helps.

Tarun

In the zone
try changing the spike guard first secondly if can try to put the main power cord to the plug point and disconnect ur HDD just for Safety purposes and see if u are still getting the shocks

such errors indicate failure at hardware level & i don't think things like reset/defrag/shutdown etc can cause this except maybe some data corruption.electric shock you feel is probably due to improper earthing.your hard disk total usage is 2457 hours which is not much.try WD next time & as for now try running chkdsk /r from windows boot cd/dvd to see if it helps.

thats the the correct word thanx reminding :p

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
even in apartments there should be a earthing option as all high rise buildings have one.have you ever called an electrician to take a look at your apartment's main power board?anyway protective earthing is simply providing a connection to earth to provide a safe path to excess electricity to safely pass through.Attach one end of a wire to the side wall(metallic) of your computer & attach the other end to a nail or something metallic and nail it in the wall.

Last edited:
OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
will try it.btw i don't think seagate is a bad company.k next time will try to buy WD.thought seagate is a reliable company.

braindead

Bankaiiiii
Similar problem so ill post my problem here.

ive got some bad sectors on my external hard disk. out of warranty.
How do i hide or prevent the bad sectors from being visible (reallocation?) so that no data is written to it? no important stuff so i don't mind losing the data.

Top Bottom