Hard disk bad sectors.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ if it's segate drive download seatools for windows - install it - attach the external HDD and perform a long test using seatools - wait for the test to complete - it will show you the bad sectors it has found and give you an option to fix those.

helion

Broken In
even in apartments there should be a earthing option as all high rise buildings have one.have you ever called an electrician to take a look at your apartment's main power board?anyway protective earthing is simply providing a connection to earth to provide a safe path to excess electricity to safely pass through.Attach one end of a wire to the side wall(metallic) of your computer & attach the other end to a nail or something metallic and nail it in the wall.

That wont work $#!+. Earthing has to provide a direct sink for excess charge.

ie, @OP

a. Take a copper wire and connect it to the earthing socket of the wall socket and pull it directly to the ground and then have a piece of conductive metal(ie, an iron rod like they use in construction, or a GI pipe) inserted about 1.5m into the earth connected to that end of the wire. Actually even lesser will do, but that is the standard.

Alternatively find the pipe that pulls water from the ground to the over head tank. Check if it is continuously metal till your house, as since many years some builders have used plastic ones too. Find the nearest point of that pipe in your house and use that as the contact point to the earth.

Simply find the earthing wire in the house mains and check if it is continuous to the ground.

Or

b. If the house is earthed properly the other wall sockets will test good letting you know if the socket to your computer is one of the few that were not earthed.

Or

c. Leave it to the electrician :D
And about the shut down due to your hand impacting the cable, of course that slightly pulled the wire from the sockets on the wall and the PSU and cut off the connection. Totally harmless.

Last edited:

braindead

Bankaiiiii
^^ if it's segate drive download seatools for windows - install it - attach the external HDD and perform a long test using seatools - wait for the test to complete - it will show you the bad sectors it has found and give you an option to fix those.

thanks,doing that:cool:. maybe this is going to take some time:-D
"Estimated time remaining 123459:51:48" and increasing.

Ps: am i the only one who can't upload attachments?

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
k guys sorry for not posting i got a new seagate 1TB HDD as a replacement and it is working fine from last 10 days.even that 500GB HDD also got replaced.actuall the current shock was not because of earthing but it was because of the power cord cable which i got with my seasonic psu.i replaced it with a another cable which i had and everything got solved.that seasonic one doesn't have the third upper big pin in its plug.there is only a hole in that place.may be that was causing the problem because if i am right that is the ground pin in that.i don;t know why seasonic missed that.
@braindead,
you can also download seatools for DOS burn it on a cd or dvd abd boot from that DVD and you can zero write that HDD completely by selecting i guess complete format(or something like that.i do't remember it) it will reallocate all the Bad sectors but if the bad sector is because of malfunctioning of the drive then again you will see bad sectors within
some time of use and only solution is buying a new one.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ braindead - can't say why you are getting such long scan times bvut usually it takes only one and half hour for a 500GB HDD ( with sata connector ) - using a USB cable may take 6/8 hours but not 123459:51:48 hours !

if possible connect the HDD with the mobo directly with a sata cable / or use any other USB port - may be the app/windows is not detecting the right USB interface speed for the external HDD or use a friend's pc.

@ sukesh1090 - I think you are talking about this :

*upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/CEE_7-7.jpg

it's called CEE 7/7 plug which is completely safe to use - you have such issue because the plug you got may be faulty somehow.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
yes absolutely correct.that is what i am talking about.if that third pin is not important then why it is giving me electric shocks when i connect it to the psu.thanks for the help bro.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
3rd pin is not needed because earthing is provided by side clips
Schuko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also what matters is the earthing support in the socket so even if the plug has earthing support plugging it into an unearthed/incompatible socket will provide no protection.indian sockets are designed for 3 pin earthing so plugging a CEE 7/7 into indian 3 pin socket will result in no grounding.CEE 7/7 compatible socket has earthed clips which touches the side clip on CEE 7/7 plug thus resulting in earthing.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^
thanks now i got it its the incompatibility between my ups socket and the plug.btw what about those plugs which usually have only two pins(which are not triangular,just flat)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
indian sockets are designed for 3 pin earthing so plugging a CEE 7/7 into indian 3 pin socket will result in no grounding.CEE 7/7 compatible socket has earthed clips which touches the side clip on CEE 7/7 plug thus resulting in earthing.

I've plugged my spike guard to the wall socket and UPS is connected to the spike guard .. using 2 of these plugs and they are working OK.

^^
thanks now i got it its the incompatibility between my ups socket and the plug.btw what about those plugs which usually have only two pins(which are not triangular,just flat)

devices usually comes with 2 pin power plugs ( most probably ) does not need earthing.

helion

Broken In
I've plugged my spike guard to the wall socket and UPS is connected to the spike guard .. using 2 of these plugs and they are working OK.

devices usually comes with 2 pin power plugs ( most probably ) does not need earthing.

Schuko uses pins on the wall socket to achieve the earthing connection with the bare metal on the plug by means of contact. The other end of the cord will have three sockets(ie, the earthing socket receives the ground connection from the PSU and this needs to be sent across to the ground in the wall socket).

Some devices like chargers/ speakers shouldn't need earthing, but PSU must be earthed.

Top Bottom