Half-Life 2 Discussion

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
borg said:
What da HELL is this man?????. The load times are horrible!!!

ROTFL! :lol: Welcome to the club. You didn't think that it would feature the same "seamless level loads" as in Half-Life, didya? :D What system config are you running it on anyway?

borg

In the zone
Running it on a Athlon XP 2000+ , 640 MB RAM, 40 Gig HDD, 9600 gfx card 128 MB. I know it ain't the latest of specs, but hey do I have to buy a cray orgin 2000 supercomputer to play theses games now???? What do these game makers want us to do??. :evil:

The most shocking thing is that I played Doom3 with high settings at 800*600 res without any problems. What the hell is wrong with this HL2????. They made us wait for so many years & atlast they give us this crap???Steam- shitload of cr*p. Audio stutters, can't hear anything. What the f***???? . I am going off to bomb Valve now.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Man, thats good enough to show you a good difference between Doom 3 and HL2. Considering that your video card was one of the flagship cards for HL2. :shock: Are you using a 5.4k rpm hard disk, by any chance. Try to turn off the AV, disconnect from the network and then try running it.

There's something seriously wrong, dude. Doom 3 shouldn't run better on your card than HL2. Anyway, although I wouldn't advise it try to fiddle around with these commands and see if they help any, because it MAY offset the fast GPU/slow CPU problem.

cl_ejectbrass "0" (Disables ejecting cartridges)
cl_forcepreload "1" (Forces a preload of all game textures, loads slower but does not stutter during gameplay)
cl_show_bloodspray 0 (disables blood sprays when characters are shot. Hardly noticeable anyway)
r_occlusion 0 (Disables occlusion at the cost of image quality, but worth it if the game stutters)
sv_robust_explosions 0 (reduces the spectacular effect of the explosions and improves performance)
r_waterforceexpensive 0 (tries to improve water quality without sacrificing performance)
dsp_slow_cpu 1 (reduces the quality of DSP sound effects in the game and improves performance)
mat_bloom 0 (disables light bloom, increasing performance with minimal drop in image quality)

Its recommended that you DO NOT enter the following commands unless you want the game to look bad. Lowering the resolution is a better alternative to the following commands:

mat_bumpmap 0 (disables bump-mapping, but not worth it, the textures will look completely blocky and 2D, but improves performance)
mat_fastnobump 1 (removes bump-mapping on floor textures, and they look very unrealistic, but improves performance)
fog_enable_water_fog 0 (disables water fogging, but water will look unrealistic, but improves performance)
fog_enable 0 (Fog will be disabled and the environment will lose its charm, but can improve performance)
mat_filtertextures 0 (disables texture filtering and will make them look very unrealistic)

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Hey Prof! Doom 4???!!!!
Btw, this audio stuttering seems to be the bane for many! Wonder what good the Valve patch did then?

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Thanks, typo corrected. And when id said that it wouldn't be remaking any of their older franchises! :lol: I guess I'd have given Carmack mild heart flutters.

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ I googled but didn't found anything useful thats why I posted here. Sad that there are no news regarding this game.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
oh yes. will resume HL2 from the infected city/village from next week.

Ravenholm? :p It's a brilliant chapter. :)

Sadly Valve totally messed up HL2 while porting it to latest Source engine last year. Still quite a great game albeit buggy.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Ravenholm? :p It's a brilliant chapter. :)

Sadly Valve totally messed up HL2 while porting it to latest Source engine last year. Still quite a great game albeit buggy.

yes. ravenholm. scary but not hard (doom 3 with a twist).

and finally, finished it last night. game is quite long & even if most places are repeatedly used throughout the game, one doesn't feel it.

Top Bottom