Half-Life 2 Discussion

G

gxsaurav

1st since Doom3 is out & has become already famous, I m making this thread for all the half life 2 discussion in the foum, since we don't already have a seperate gaming section so I m starting here. All your questions & quaries about Half life should be asked here, don't start a new thread for no reason

First the System Requirment, official but they might change before the final release

Minimum

1.2 GHz P3 or Athlon
256 MB RAM
DirectX 7 based gfx card with 64 MB RAM (GeForce 4 MX)

Recomended

A 2.4 GHz or equilevent CPU
512MB RAM
Direct 9 based card with 128 MB RAM
(FX series, Radeon 9xxx series or above)

Storage requirments are not out but this game will come in both CD & DVD so I m assuming that there will be atleast 5 CD

Official Half-Life 2 Webpage
----------------------------------------------------------------

For the FX series there are rumurs that the Half Life 2 engine works at DX8or 8.1 path, this is not entirly true, some of the heavy code has been re-made for DirectX 8.x class but much of the code is still DX9, Valve has done a great Job of providing less then 10% quality difference between DX 8.1 & 9 quality level, it will look quite good even on DX 8.1 based cards like GeForce 4 Ti

Th release date is not yet announced so we will be posting here as soon as we get the newsi

borg

In the zone
The thing I hate about HL2 is this guy Gordon Freeman. He isn't going to speak in this one either. What the heck??. I don't like dumb people.

abhijeet_ghosh

Journeyman
I dont have to worry about the requirements coz I will be playing it on the Xbox (both Doom 3 and Half Life 2). No upgrade hassles... Thank God.

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
HL2 seems to be cursed ! First, it's source-code was stolen, now there are reports that the Valve guys have unknowingly shipped th HL2 dialogue script alongwith th Counterstrike source-code !! Th script contains all dialogues in th game and also gives away th game's ending. Valve better hurry up and release HL2 before something else happens ;)

OP
G

gxsaurav

One more thing I would like to add for Fanboys, NO DOOM3 vs Half Life 2 or ATI vs NVIDIA Discussion here
----------------------------------------------------

True Klaw, I think that so, may be thats because Counter Strike by ID software was what made Half Life popular, they are maried to each other , HL2 & CS made for each other, but then again, time has changed we now have many games like HL2 in the market, like Battlefield viatnam & Battle field 1942 with good multiplayer, I guess CS 2 won't be that big hit like CS1

The fragfest gendre like Quake & UT are something which has their own market, Valve has to work hard to deliver good Single Player as this is what HL2 is meant for, & CS for Multiplayer,

I have mailed Valve Support giveing one suggestion that we the end users should be given a choice weather to install the Multiplayer part or not, to save HD space for those who don't play multiplayer like me

Abijeet

Good for U even the XBOX has somethings not found on PC, no upgrade cycle & a good controller

Borg

This is in Doom3 & some other games too, but I think & say the player should talk, I mean look at MAx Payne or Sam Fisher, their dialogs & talkings add something totely new to the game

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Yeah, multiplayer support should be an optional install. In our bandwidth-starved nation, multiplayer gaming on th net is a nightmare :( I tried playing Age Of Empires 2 on MSN zone and man, I couldn't even give orders properly; such was th lag in th connection. I can only dream of playing CS2 on th net ;)

svenkat83

Journeyman
One more thing I would like to add for Fanboys, NO DOOM3 vs Half Life 2 or ATI vs NVIDIA Discussion here

All your questions & quaries about Half life should be asked here, don't start a new thread for no reason

Dude,eventhough your posts are informative,that doesn't mean you can command ppl over here.You are talking as if you are a Mod.There are better ways to ask ppl to do things you want,certainly this is not the way.

Anyway,coming to HL2 discussion,am ready for it. :p
IMO,HL2 is going to beat Doom 3 hands down coz of its story,interactivity with almost all the objects in the game and also the influence of its prequel. :)

OP
G

gxsaurav

No offance, but I don't want to start flame war here too, so I recomend only not to do that
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know what is the story of HL2 but D3 was based on Hell invading on Mars millions of years ago & now coming to earth, the OLD good vs Evil story etc, but then again, Doom is that

correct me, HL2 is based on Alien Invasion or robots gone bad, man vs machine

DKant

In the zone
OK here goes SAURAV. Hmm..nothing happened. ;-)

Ok gx, I thought XBox hadn't come to India, as it already was a loss making product :-?

Also, what graphix core is it powered by? Surely it wouldn't stand a chance against the latest cards would it? And is control in FPS'es as good as PC's?

OP
G

gxsaurav

DKant said:

Ok gx, I thought XBox hadn't come to India, as it already was a loss making product :-?

Also, what graphix core is it powered by? Surely it wouldn't stand a chance against the latest cards would it? And is control in FPS'es as good as PC's?

It is powered by a hybrid of GeForce3 & GeForce4, somthing in the middle, so it also uses pixel shader, but since it only needs to provide 640X480 resolution for TV Only it provides more performance then GeForce3 is comparision

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
DKant said:

X-Box hasn't come to India, M$ thinks India isnt ready for gaming yet ! And as for the core ........its a GF3 core, it churns out as much as the PC version only slightly more...but at 640 res thats more than enuf ........

Yeah i doesnt quite stand a chance against the latest X800 and 6800 series cards, First person shooting sucks in consoles so they have TPS for it, i had the PS1 so i know.

OP
G

gxsaurav

The tech report has done a good article on HL2 Sound Engine, go here, looks like We need a Sound Card to play well

borg

In the zone
The controls won't be as good as the PC . But they will be good enough. Halo has proved beyond doubt that FPSs can be played on consoles with controllers

Top Bottom