[Guide] Laptop Buying Guide.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hi guys,
I wish to purchase a high performance laptop. I'd really appreciate any help towards the same. And is this the best thread to post queries?

1. Budget: INR 60-75k
2. Size: Mainstream; 15.6"
3. Tasks: Gaming; building resource intensive IT projects; cloud computing
4. Config: I had the following configuration in mind.
Processor: 4th gen i7 quad core. 4700MQ
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: 2GB. Preferably Nvidia, GDDR5
Screen: 15.6"; Preferably 1920x1080(Full HD). Touch not necessary.
Optical Drive: Not necessary
5. Brands: Dell, Lenovo, HP. Though I'm open to suggestions from other brands as well.
6. ASS/ warranty are imp.
I had been eyeing this laptop:
Lenovo: Y510p [4700MQ,8GB,Full HD screen, GPU: GT750M DDR5]. Can someone elaborate on build quality, VFM; And what about ASS/ warranty.

**Also, I heard the new Maxwell architecture (Kepler's successor) for Nvidia graphic cards is going to be launched soon. Is there any point in waiting for them?

Thanks
Harsh

Go for it, it's the best out there in this budget.

Maxwell should double the performance over Kepler, it's your call entirely. If rumors are to be believed then the high end of the GTX 8xx series is going to be Kepler as well.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Good work, i look forward to that day when the 90K~1L+ section is filled with at least 5+products of very high-end gaming which again do not cross 150K pricing sanity mark. its ok as of now for its pretty decent and assuming made for people buying laptops in India only.

@OP, "At this point you either really love laptops or are filthy rich and give zero damns." really childish ! , people buying laptop at that price range have a mobility factor prioritized as they are mostly compelled to buy it for fulfilling their gaming need yet being able to carry it, they chose it as it burns hole in pocket by transport cost with associated risk for moving a giant-ass gaming rig town to cities to state to countries :D

People love games, for that they have gone as far as 4 way SLI rigs, buying an expensive laptop is pretty small compared to that.

I have two words for you, "Professionals and Amateurs".Professionals need such powerful rigs and gaming laptops because its their profession.Just like a good batsman in cricket needs a good bat.Amateurs are people who play games for pleasure, and only very few rich(people who don't care about money) amateurs would be able to afford such expensive(and thereby powerful) gaming rigs/laptops.

Most amateurs(including myself) are satisfied with mid-range hardware, and if an amateur buys a gaming rig worth 1L or above the only conclusion that we can make is. he/she is filthy rich.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I have two words for you, "Professionals and Amateurs".Professionals need such powerful rigs and gaming laptops because its their profession.Just like a good batsman in cricket needs a good bat.Amateurs are people who play games for pleasure, and only very few rich(people who don't care about money) amateurs would be able to afford such expensive(and thereby powerful) gaming rigs/laptops.

Most amateurs(including myself) are satisfied with mid-range hardware, and if an amateur buys a gaming rig worth 1L or above the only conclusion that we can make is. he/she is filthy rich.

Also professionals know what to buy and where to buy.
Anyway I will add the best of the best and some VFM laptops in the ultra high end category by the week's end.

harshbhat10

Right off the assembly line
Go for it, it's the best out there in this budget.

Maxwell should double the performance over Kepler, it's your call entirely. If rumors are to be believed then the high end of the GTX 8xx series is going to be Kepler as well.

Thanks.

Can someone comment on build quality, ASS and warranty of Lenovo.

Also, by when would laptops with Maxwell GPU be expected.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
I VOTE AS A TRIBUTE !!!.....MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOUR !!!!...

er...I mean I vote for this thread to be stickied.

Atleast now you can remove the "My dream" & the vote headings from first post

Found a nice laptop for 43k
Acer Aspire E1-572G Laptop (4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200U- 4GB RAM- 750GB HDD- 15.6 Inches Screen- Windows 8- 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 8750M Graphics) (Black) - Buy Online @ Best Price | Snapdeal.com
Review
Review Acer Aspire E1-572G-54204G75Mnkk Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Obviously its not FHD screen, but some users who bought it reported to have got 1TB HDD, Win 8.1 & AMD R7 M265

You can add "Review" word next to some laptops whose review is given in reputed websites like CNET, Thinkdigit, Notebookcheck, etc & embed the link in the Review word

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Atleast now you can remove the "My dream" & the vote headings from first post

Found a nice laptop for 43k
Acer Aspire E1-572G Laptop (4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200U- 4GB RAM- 750GB HDD- 15.6 Inches Screen- Windows 8- 2 GB AMD Radeon HD 8750M Graphics) (Black) - Buy Online @ Best Price | Snapdeal.com
Review
Review Acer Aspire E1-572G-54204G75Mnkk Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Obviously its not FHD screen, but some users who bought it reported to have got 1TB HDD, Win 8.1 & AMD R7 M265

You can add "Review" word next to some laptops whose review is given in reputed websites like CNET, Thinkdigit, Notebookcheck, etc & embed the link in the Review word

Nice Find. I'll keep on improving the format of the guide as new laptops keep on coming.

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Guys, any one here purchased HP ENVY touchsmart 15 or 17 leap motion PC?

I don't think it's even worth it. The Y510p is much better. The Leap motion laptop right? You can get the Leap Motion controller from eBay.

Top Bottom