[Guide] Laptop Buying Guide.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
.....................||=====Go on, click it.
.....................||
.....................V
Get used to clicking this thingy.

Greetings members and guests of TDF alike. Today I decided to create a guide of my own for all those laptop lovers and buyers out there. This is my first guide so please bear with me.

Abbreviations:-
  • GPU:-Graphic Processing Unit aka Graphic Card.
  • CPU:- Central Processing Unit aka Processor.
  • SSD:- Solid State Drive.
  • HDD:- Hard Disk Drive.
  • RAM:- Random Access Memory.
  • Spec:- Specifications, ie, power of the components of the laptop.

Misconceptions:-
1. i7 is always greater than i5 = WRONG!
core i7 processors with U in their name as nearly as powerful as core i5 with M in their name.
Intel Core i7 4500U vs i5 3230M
This is because that particular i7 is undervolted , underclocked and has lower no. of cores (2 (hyperthreaded upto 4) as opposed to 4 (hyperthreaded upto 8) in i7 4xxxMQ or 3xxxQM processors.

2. More amount of memory in GPU is always better OR a 4GB GPU card is twice as fast as a 2 GB one. WRONG AGAIN!

This topic is explained better over here :-

How much graphic memory makes sense? - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Updates:-
These listings are for
Quarter 1 2015.
The laptops will be updated on a quarterly basis.
I will also do an update when Maxwell is launched in India.
Those interested in buying laptops are highly suggested to wait for Maxwell.
Oh. BTW those who don't know, Maxwell is the next generation of Nvidia GPUs.

The first thing that people have in mind while buying a laptop is the budget. I will start at a min of 20k INR because that's a good price for a budget laptop and below that one is better off buying a second hand laptop.

I will cover 4 basic demographics:-
  • The Godly Gamer:- This type of laptop buyers are buying laptops because they either have to play games on the run or want the portability of a laptop while gaming. Most important factor for this demograph is the GPU and the CPU of the laptop. Expect bulky notebooks with the best single application performance in their respective budget tier. Consumer grade notebooks.

• The Bad@$$ Businessman:- Laptops in this category are meant for business use and for very light to moderate gaming. Build Quality, Battery Life and portability are main things to consider by people in this demograph. Expect solid, lightweight and durable notebooks.

• The Great Graphics Designer :- Desktop Level Rendering capability is the only requirement of this demograph.
    Starts:- 75k+

• The Humble Human:- General laptops, basically a jack of all trades. These laptops are meant for a little bit of everything from facebook to photoshop to light gaming.
    This class is exclusive to the first budget.

Budget 1:- 20k to 30k (Super Duper Low Power Laptops)
The Humble Human
Lenovo Ideapad G50-70 (59-417086) Notebook (4th Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 500GB/ Free DOS) Rs.26890 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Ideapad G50-70 (59-417086) Notebook (4th Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 500GB/ Free DOS) Ebony Black Online - Lenovo : Flipkart.com

Reasons to Consider:-
1) core i3 proccy.

Dell Vostro 14 V3446 Notebook (4th Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Ubuntu/ 2 GB Graph) Rs.30490 Price in India - Buy Dell Vostro 14 V3446 Notebook (4th Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Ubuntu/ 2 GB Graph) Grey Online - Dell : Flipkart.com

1) core i3 proccy.
2) Dedicated GPU

Budget 2:- 30k to 40k (Leveling up!)
The Godly Gamer:-
Lenovo Z50-70 Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Free DOS) (59-429601) Rs.37200 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Z50-70 Notebook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Free DOS) (59-429601) Online - Lenovo : Flipkart.com

Reasons to consider:
Good build quality+powerful CPU for this range.

The Bad@$$ Businessman
*www.flipkart.com/lenovo-essential-...kpad&ref=355471b1-75e5-4e23-b924-84d83111bd1f

Lenovo Thinkpads are well known for their reliability. Besides in this budget a macbook is not feasible.

Budget 3:- 40- 50k (In the zone (yes this title is stolen)).
*www.flipkart.com/lenovo-z50-70-not...ee-dos-2gb-graph-59-420313/p/itmdztb4y82dgrpv

Powerful GPU but has a HD screen.

*www.flipkart.com/lenovo-z50-70-not...=z50&ref=faadc6de-067c-4168-a17a-9018d2b8b220

Reasons to consider:-
FHD screen but less powerful screen.
The Bad@$$ business:-
Thinkpad Edge E531 (Black) - Thinkpad - Laptops | Lenovo India | The DO Store

lenovo's build quality is at par with apple. Lenovo is famous worldwide for their business laptops. These thingies are extremely reliable. The entire thing is protected with a metal cage. Rumor has it that these can survive desk level falls. Keyboard is spill resistant.

Budget 4:- 50k-70k (Metal Laptop Rising (hope you get the reference))

*www.flipkart.com/msi-gp60-2pe-leop...=MSI&ref=efad8131-0c3d-4720-907a-8525e1ec88be
Reasons to consider :-
Best gaming laptop in this range

*www.flipkart.com/lenovo-z50-70-59-...=z50&ref=faadc6de-067c-4168-a17a-9018d2b8b220
Reasons to consider :-
1080p screen+strong GPU+moderately strong CPU.

The Bad@$$ businessman:-

Here we see the advent of the first macbooks.

*www.flipkart.com/apple-md712hn-b-m...book&ref=dc73fdd6-4203-4e5a-8b0b-f764d53ffcb6
Build Quality+Extremely Portable due to extreme small size+V.Fast because of SSD+Quite Capable CPU+GPU+Superb battery life.
What else do you need?

*www.flipkart.com/apple-md101hn-a-m...book&ref=dc73fdd6-4203-4e5a-8b0b-f764d53ffcb6

Budget 5:- 75k to 1lakh (LEGEN-wait for it-DARY tier)
The Godly gamer:-
*www.flipkart.com/lenovo-y50-70-not...=Y50&ref=548cdb38-6a34-4257-afbb-8b37c832e8c6

Reasons to Consider:
Powerful gpu+cpu. sub par screen.

[*www.flipkart.com/asus-g551jk-dm053...+rog&ref=9e4fb43f-24a2-44b0-8e80-95e4c038071c

Reasons to consider:
Superb screen but slightly weaker GPU

*www.flipkart.com/msi-ge60-2pf-apac...=MSI&ref=5104fb92-e082-4d1e-801c-98231397007d

Reasons to consider:
Everything superb except the price

The Bad@$$ businessman:-
The sweet spot as there are many alternatives available

*www.flipkart.com/apple-me864hn-a-m...book&ref=fa6b01de-236d-42f0-b6cb-d7856348c941

I am starting with a superb macbook pro. This thingy provides ultimate performance(not gaming) for designers and businessmen alike along with superior build quality and reliability.

*www.flipkart.com/apple-mgx82hn-a-m...book&ref=fa6b01de-236d-42f0-b6cb-d7856348c941

The Great Graphics Designer :-

I would suggest the HP ZBOOK 15. Go to HP site and ask them directly. If you send in an email they will call you.
This one is an extremely customizable laptop with top notch components. Every damn thing can be customized as the price will change accordingly.

HP Mobile Workstation- ZBook 15 | HP® India

Try to keep the specs to a min or else the price will skyrocket.

Budget 6:- 1 lakh+ (Overkill)
At this point you either really love laptops or are filthy rich and give zero damns.

Here you have two alternatives. Either you can buy one from India which is secure or you can import one from US which will provide better performance.

*www.flipkart.com/msi-gs60-2pe-ghos...=MSI&ref=5104fb92-e082-4d1e-801c-98231397007d

Inferior to Alienware 17 and after sales service is not very good but much cheaper.

*www.flipkart.com/dell-alienware-17...e+17&ref=0bcbb8dc-63ac-4f9d-b1e7-631d5af130b6
For people who love to show off. Superb gaming performance and after sales service is good. Check official site too.

When buying a laptop in this budget, people will want the very best but unfortunately in India you can't just walk into a store and demand it because those evil CEOs , for unknown reasons, decided not to launch the best gaming machines in India.
The perfect gaming laptop will include a GTX 980M in either SOLO or in SLI mode. Those interested are advised to buy from xotic PC and ship through ppobox for minimum headaches. ebay.com is also a good option too.

Xotic PC:- Perhaps the best laptop reseller in the USA, these guys are extremely reliable and will test their products before shipping.

ppobox.com :- A reliable service that imports and clears customs on products for you.

The best 15.6" laptop money can buy:-

*www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8268-clevo-p150sma-p-6986.html?wconfigure=yes

1. Can beat the Indian alienware 17 any day.
2. Total cost ~1.5lakh INR(including shipping)
3. Buy GTX 980m+core i7
4.The best period.
Price :- ~1.3lakh INR
Importing+duties:-~25-30k INR

The best laptop money can buy:-

*www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt80-titan009-980m-sli-p-7869.html?wconfigure=yes

1. Nvidia GTX TITAN+ level performance.
2. Cherry MX mechanical keyboard.

The Bad@$$ business man:-
*www.flipkart.com/apple-mgxc2hn-a-m...book&ref=80430ebd-47ae-4564-9bad-6673b4ff1a52
Why not go for the best mac?

The Great Graphics Designer :-

I would suggest the HP ZBOOK 17. Go to HP site and ask them directly. If you send in an email they will call you.
This one is an extremely customizable laptop with top notch components. Every damn thing can be customized as the price will change accordingly.

HP Mobile Workstation- ZBook 17 | HP® India

Warning:- A maxed out ZBOOK 17 with core i7 4930 MX version, Quadro K5100M, SSD+HDD and Brightview screen can cost well above 5 lakh INR so choose the components wisely and try to keep them to a min.

Useful Links:-
CPU Comparison chart:-
Mobile Processors - Benchmarklist - NotebookCheck.net Tech

GPU Comparison chart:-
Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Gaming Scores:-
Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Companies that provide great after sales service (This is a debatable topic and I am talking in general):-
Dell,Lenovo,HP

Contributors:-
1.anupam_pb
2.AbhMkh
3.samudragupta

Last edited:

geek_rocker

Broken In
Good job, my friend. I'm looking to replace my ageing Dell studio 15 with something new and this definitely would help. Which brand has the best aftersale-service in India in your opinion guys?

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Good job, my friend. I'm looking to replace my ageing Dell studio 15 with something new and this definitely would help. Which brand has the best aftersale-service in India in your opinion guys?
Dell followed by lenovo. btw... Lenovo laptops don't break easily. I'll add this point about servicing tomorrow.

Great work
Some suggestion from me :

30-40k (For Gamers)
Lenovo Essential G510 (59-382843) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Rs.38999 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Essential G510 (59-382843) Laptop (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Black Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

Reasons to consider:
No OS, Great CPU + dedicated GPU for gaming

40-50k (For Gamers)
Lenovo Ideapad Z500 (59-380480) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) Rs.47111 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Ideapad Z500 (59-380480) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) Dark Chocolate Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

Reasons to consider:
Best CPU+GPU for price

Less than 55k (Gaming)
IdeaPad Z510 (Dark Chocolate) - Ideapad - Laptops | Lenovo India | The DO Store

Reasons to buy:
Upgraded CPU over Z500, Anti glare display (No FHD display, FK mentioned wrongly )

Samsung NP550P5C-S06IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Rs.58900 Price in India - Buy Samsung NP550P5C-S06IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 6GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) Silver Online - Samsung: Flipkart.com

Reasons to consider: 900p Anti glare display, Great GPU for price(better than GT740M), JBL speakers with sub woofers, Blu ray reader
Note: If costly in flipkart but available for less than 55k locally(56k in Samsung eStore)

55-60k
Add anti glare display to reasons to buy of Z510(i7)

Just add those laptops too. I think sub sections can be made like 40-46k then 46-55k, 55-65k & 65-75k
Many friends of mine ask me laptops in 45-55k range instead of 40-50k. Some people want laptops just around 40k(44-45k max). That's why this suggestion

Also add these links for CPU & GPU comparisons (or make a list from it considering which ones are available here)
Mobile Processors - Benchmarklist - NotebookCheck.net Tech
Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List - NotebookCheck.net Tech
Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Last edited:

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
very nice, high five - YouTube

But its a rip off from my post, I ought to get credit......., Also we need to dispel the misconceptions about Haswell ULV proccy's.

for eg this Intel Core i7 4500U vs i5 3230M

Last edited:
Updated. BUMP!

Good
I think Samsung NP550P5C S06IN deserves a line about its speakers in the reasons to consider because it has the second best laptop speakers in a laptop that I've heard(Didn't check speakers of any laptop which costs 1lakh+, except macbook pro). The best speakers were JBL 2.1 system in 2years old Dell XPS laptop (one of my friends has an i5+GT540M XPS), it has better bass & loudness than even JBL 2.1 of Samsung series 5

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Good
I think Samsung NP550P5C S06IN deserves a line about its speakers in the reasons to consider because it has the second best laptop speakers in a laptop that I've heard(Didn't check speakers of any laptop which costs 1lakh+, except macbook pro). The best speakers were JBL 2.1 system in 2years old Dell XPS laptop (one of my friends has an i5+GT540M XPS), it has better bass & loudness than even JBL 2.1 of Samsung series 5

Can you please elaborate what all to add? I don't have much knowledge about speakers. What about the JBL in Y500? :O

Can you please elaborate what all to add? I don't have much knowledge about speakers. What about the JBL in Y500? :O

Our Y500 doesn't have sub woofers(music device which gives better bass). Our lappy has JBL 2.0 system. JBL 2.1 means 2 JBL speakers with one sub woofer.

In the reasons to buy of Samsung S06, add : "JBL speakers with sub woofer". It should suffice. Its the best speaker under 60k

The 1lakh+ laptops which you mentioned might have better speakers. Also i don't know about the speakers of new HP laptops(ones with 4th gen i5 & i7 M processors)

OP
seamon

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Our Y500 doesn't have sub woofers(music device which gives better bass). Our lappy has JBL 2.0 system. JBL 2.1 means 2 JBL speakers with one sub woofer.

In the reasons to buy of Samsung S06, add : "JBL speakers with sub woofer". It should suffice. Its the best speaker under 60k

The 1lakh+ laptops which you mentioned might have better speakers. Also i don't know about the speakers of new HP laptops(ones with 4th gen i5 & i7 M processors)

I think the Y500 has a subwoofer, look under the laptop and you'll find it. It's altogether a different story it doesn't work. xD

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Good work, i look forward to that day when the 90K~1L+ section is filled with at least 5+products of very high-end gaming which again do not cross 150K pricing sanity mark. its ok as of now for its pretty decent and assuming made for people buying laptops in India only.

@OP, "At this point you either really love laptops or are filthy rich and give zero damns." really childish ! , people buying laptop at that price range have a mobility factor prioritized as they are mostly compelled to buy it for fulfilling their gaming need yet being able to carry it, they chose it as it burns hole in pocket by transport cost with associated risk for moving a giant-ass gaming rig town to cities to state to countries :D

People love games, for that they have gone as far as 4 way SLI rigs, buying an expensive laptop is pretty small compared to that.

Last edited:

harshbhat10

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys,
I wish to purchase a high performance laptop. I'd really appreciate any help towards the same. And is this the best thread to post queries?

1. Budget: INR 60-75k
2. Size: Mainstream; 15.6"
3. Tasks: Gaming; building resource intensive IT projects; cloud computing
4. Config: I had the following configuration in mind.
Processor: 4th gen i7 quad core. 4700MQ
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: 2GB. Preferably Nvidia, GDDR5
Screen: 15.6"; Preferably 1920x1080(Full HD). Touch not necessary.
Optical Drive: Not necessary
5. Brands: Dell, Lenovo, HP. Though I'm open to suggestions from other brands as well.
6. ASS/ warranty are imp.
I had been eyeing this laptop:
Lenovo: Y510p [4700MQ,8GB,Full HD screen, GPU: GT750M DDR5]. Can someone elaborate on build quality, VFM; And what about ASS/ warranty.

**Also, I heard the new Maxwell architecture (Kepler's successor) for Nvidia graphic cards is going to be launched soon. Is there any point in waiting for them?

Thanks
Harsh

Top Bottom