Pozzo Lahiri

Right off the assembly line
Will GTX 260 run ok on my pc(Especially PSU and heat issues)? I cannot afford to buy another PSU right now, I changed it just a month ago :-(
I presently have XFX 9600GT Green, I intend to replace that.
SPECS:
CPU AMD Athlon II X2 240
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA74GMT-S2
Memory Micron 2GB+Hynix 1GB DDR3
Sound Card ATI IXP SB600 High Definition
Monitor Displays AOC 931Sn
Screen Resolution 1366x768

PSU Zebronics Platinum 600w
Case Zebronics Gaming Mid-Tower
Cooling Glacialtech 90mm+Zebronics 120mm front+CoolerMaster HyperTX3
Western Digital D5000AAKX
Other Info NIC: DFE-520TX //Creative SBS A300// HP 1260i

Thanks in advance for any help, I plan to buy tomorrow.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
are you getting a new or used GTX260? & no, it may run normally at the beginning but most probably PSU will break down as soon as you switch to gaming.

OP
P

Pozzo Lahiri

1 year old card XFX..it still has its warranty of 2yrs, from a friend of mine. I am worried about the psu, some are saying that they have run it ok for a long period, but I have my doubts. But as the upgrade power is substantial (gtx 260 is a powerful card I assume) I cannot at the same time let go without some thought!!

Last edited:

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
PSU Zebronics Platinum 600w might not be as bad as we think.. since, i havent read any bad reviews for Zebronics of blowing up or melting capacitors etc like Cooler Master PSU's.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@Pozzo Lahiri, for how much are you getting the card. well to be safe, most will recommend a quality 450-500W PSU for it.

mitraark

Decrepit
It might be enough , your CPU Isn't much power hungry , and Zebronics Platinum is much better than CHeap PSUs/

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Pozzo Lahiri

That PSU might just be enough. Better ask your friend to let you test a couple of days before purchasing. I think running Furmark for an hour would be enough to get an answer.

OP
P

Pozzo Lahiri

@Pozzo Lahiri, for how much are you getting the card. well to be safe, most will recommend a quality 450-500W PSU for it.

I'm getting it for 5000 rs/-,...my Zebbie is 600w, or at least that is what they advertise.
------
So, the verdict is (more or less) it'd probably ok to run it. I'll run furmark then?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
well, for that price its bargain. but problem is PSU. anyway, check the temperature of the GPU while gaming. XFX cards are notorious for overheating like hell.

OP
P

Pozzo Lahiri

Ok,will do. If it makes trouble for me I'll have to opt for 5670, on that budget. In Kolkata, buying a decent PSU makes a hole in your pocket, and even then you don't have much of a choice...I had no other option but to go for Zebbie Platinum, as FSP Saga II, Antec are rarer here than lions in India!

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not these days. You can get almost the entire range of Corsair SMPS from Chandni. FSP is a bit harder to find though.

OP
P

Pozzo Lahiri

yes, Corsair is available here. But Antec,Saga II,Tagan -the other lot...it is damn impossible to find it even in Chandni. Some Xfx models are available, but those cost like, 6000 up:!: And I don't trust CM EP series one bit. I had one before and it took forever to boot and went up in smoke one fine morn, I even have a sneaky suspicion that it took my Xfx 8800gt with it :-x

Does anybody know what the OEM of Zebronics Platinum series is? I've trying to find out in vain.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard to find it. Never seen any Indian site/magazine to trying to establish the facts and myths behind deshi SMPSes. They should for the sake of users.

OP
P

Pozzo Lahiri

you should change ur psu........i had zebby real600 one .....it used to give me a lot of problems.

I want to, but there is no way my budget would allow a VX450 right now or in coming 5 months, I just bought the Zebbie last month (spur of the moment thing,shoulda targeted Vx450 then) :-( ...what with the GTX 260 coming up and all. I'm hoping that the platinum won't behave as bad as real600 :?:

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Are you buying the GTX260 from the other forum? Anyway the psu would be an issue.

OP
P

Pozzo Lahiri

No actually, from a friend of mine. Yes, I'm really worried about the psu issue. Why don't these manufacturers don't properly advertise the correct Wattage etc. of their products. Outright sneaky I say.

Top Bottom