Gt 640m le?

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Are you sure??One of my friends is going for the envy 15 with hd 7750m graphics @77K........are you sure that 640LE is better than 7750M,because in that case,I'll have to stop him ASAP.!!!

As far as I can remember.....HP Envy has some serious orangegate issues and the promised color gamut is not present(80%), otherwise, 7690M is technically fine, more than fine, and maybe equivalent to 640LE.

Last edited:
OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Cool, well he got it for even less, then again, I saw MacBook pro yesterday, and then had a fight with family, they are not concerned about the price much, but more about the confusion and inability for me to select a laptop.

Hmm...and Asus G75 houses a pure classic design.... :/ now only if Alienware was little bit cheaper. Also, is this true that newer Sony S series laptops have Orangegate issue fixed ?

I wonder if my pc looks any cooler, oh, by the way, that computer table once nearly broke down due to weight of cabinet, duct tape all the way(including some elmers).

Attachments

• DSC_0284.jpg
    DSC_0284.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

Some newer batches of Sony S15 do not have the orange-gate issue anymore. Though you cannot be 100% you will get one with no orange-gate :) Still IMO orange gate issue is way over rated. Unless you compare it side by side with IPS monitors, you won't notice anything.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Well you see, I am used to IPS monitors, that too which cover full sRGB and Adobe RGB spectrums, although I won't use laptop for applications which require utmost color accuracy, still, Sony screen has a really narrow color spectrum =/, but thanks for the info :).

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
^

Some newer batches of Sony S15 do not have the orange-gate issue anymore. Though you cannot be 100% you will get one with no orange-gate :) Still IMO orange gate issue is way over rated. Unless you compare it side by side with IPS monitors, you won't notice anything.

AFAIK, Sony has not changed any hardware parts except the HDD in the 2012 refresh. Anyway as he is already used to Dell Ultrasharp, Orage-gate is a serious problem for him.

Cool, well he got it for even less, then again, I saw MacBook pro yesterday, and then had a fight with family, they are not concerned about the price much, but more about the confusion and inability for me to select a laptop.

Hmm...and Asus G75 houses a pure classic design.... :/ now only if Alienware was little bit cheaper. Also, is this true that newer Sony S series laptops have Orangegate issue fixed ?

I wonder if my pc looks any cooler, oh, by the way, that computer table once nearly broke down due to weight of cabinet, duct tape all the way(including some elmers).

If they are not concerned about the price, please go ahead with the MBP-R, the best money can buy! Any- your PC does look cool.
But you might wanna buy a new table :p

randomuser111

Technomancer
^

Well MBP Retina is no better the Vaio S in terms of color spectrum, S has 70% of sRGB, MBP-R covers 75% of sRGB. Both are far behind "best" laptop monitors which cover 100%sRGB and 90%+ Adobe RGB gamut

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
^

Well MBP Retina is no better the Vaio S in terms of color spectrum, S has 70% of sRGB, MBP-R covers 75% of sRGB. Both are far behind "best" laptop monitors which cover 100%sRGB and 90%+ Adobe RGB gamut

Well, here is the color gamut of MBP with Retina : *www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/faf78265a1.jpg

and here is the color gamut of Sony Vaio S : *www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/35cf9be2ac.jpg

I guess its more than 75% in case of MBP with retina(although, I still don't like the nature in which Macs are un-upgradable and priced in India)

AFAIK, Sony has not changed any hardware parts except the HDD in the 2012 refresh. Anyway as he is already used to Dell Ultrasharp, Orage-gate is a serious problem for him.

If they are not concerned about the price, please go ahead with the MBP-R, the best money can buy! Any- your PC does look cool.
But you might wanna buy a new table :p

Thanks, and yup, I seriously need a new table....before this one goes down(I once had a tri monitor setup on it, and it looked awesome then). Oh, and I guess that Sony has changed processors too in the upgrade, and removed the fingerprint scanner from base.

Regardless, I will be going back to my University in Shimla on 6th of January(and no model available before then). Seems like a deadlock for me.

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
^

Yes, true. But when I meant the best, I meant overall, it's a good laptop. I know it's not VFM, but if money's not matter, then why not, right?

Well, here is the color gamut of MBP with Retina : *www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/faf78265a1.jpg

and here is the color gamut of Sony Vaio S : *www.notebookcheck.net/typo3temp/pics/35cf9be2ac.jpg

I guess its more than 75% in case of MBP with retina(although, I still don't like the nature in which Macs are un-upgradable and priced in India)

Thanks, and yup, I seriously need a new table....before this one goes down(I once had a tri monitor setup on it, and it looked awesome then). Oh, and I guess that Sony has changed processors too in the upgrade, and removed the fingerprint scanner from base.

Regardless, I will be going back to my University in Shimla on 6th of January(and no model available before then). Seems like a deadlock for me.

1. No, the processor is still the same in the i5 version, both the new Win8 model and the old has: Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Processor
2. About the fingerprint reader, most of the 2012 Sony S15 had reader at the top. This was not done in the recent refresh.

You can see the comparison here:

*www.sony.co.in/product/CompareProducts.action?site=hp_en_IN_i&models=SVS15125CN&models=SVS15115FN

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Oh, I was talking about i7 versions, the new refresh includes 3632 quad mobile, instead of 3612QM.
I have decided to take my dads' HP dv6 for two months, and wait....again =/. I will now probably buy laptop in March, hopefully manufacturers will update their lineup by then.

Honestly, I hate how manufacturers treat India, just selling old stock and refreshing inventory when it is already obsolete, also lack options really bugs me.(Dell used to let us configure laptops to our requirements, now they too offer only preconfigured units.)

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Sorry for the double post; But nearly waiting and saving for one year, and extending my budget.....well, extending to include even the highest configuration MacBook retina available in India, its finally time for me to decide the laptop, since my dad needs his HP Dv6 back...(although I started loving it......really a great build compared to recent Dells :/).

Any suggestions, and buying time is before Dussehra, also, my requirements have extended, a little bit.

Processor; I am confused , should I go with the soon to be coming(in India) fourth generation processors, or wait a little for not so soon to be coming fourth generation processors with Iris Pro 5200 graphics. Its not the graphics that lure me, but the crystalwell, which can be shared by cores for general purpose computing(128 MB of L4(like) cache is nothing small).

RAM : Should be 16GBs, not less.

GPU : Should be Nvidia chip, I dislike AMD, GTX 770M+.

Screen : Again, preferably around 15 inches, IPS, if 17, then 3D(I can't remember any IPS active 3D panel in case of laptop screens, or desktop monitors). Should cover 98%+ sRGB gamut.

Ports : A display port is required, if possible, a thunderbolt port too(not necessary though).

Top Bottom