Gt 640m le?

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
8 GB stick/1600 MHz.....well I am doubtful now since the soldered RAM runs at a different frequency :/

P.S Might go with Single channel 8gb module/1333 MHz for 3.7K

Last edited:

junkyjunk

Right off the assembly line
It's not exact that the GT 640M LE with overclocking will be faster than the gt 650M. Even if you can overclock it that high, it has DDR3 memory which limits the performance + the GT 650M GDDR5 can be OC'ed too.

why the Vaio, by the way?

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
It's not exact that the GT 640M LE with overclocking will be faster than the gt 650M. Even if you can overclock it that high, it has DDR3 memory which limits the performance + the GT 650M GDDR5 can be OC'ed too.

why the Vaio, by the way?

Some of the reasons that make Vaio a good and compelling choice are:

1. Superb Design. It's got a slim profile.
2. Full HD screen, that too an IPS panel.( Main compelling point )
3. AFAIK, Sony has a good ASS (Please don't compare with Dell- They are the leaders here).

That's about it.. The OP can add more.

These will give you some comparison about the graphics cards

Comparison of Laptop Graphics Cards - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List - Notebookcheck.net Tech

junkyjunk

Right off the assembly line
Some of the reasons that make Vaio a good and compelling choice are:

1. Superb Design. It's got a slim profile.
2. Full HD screen, that too an IPS panel.( Main compelling point )
3. AFAIK, Sony has a good ASS (Please don't compare with Dell- They are the leaders here).

That's about it.. The OP can add more.

1. It's slim and also only about 2kg weight, but the design is a matter of taste.
2. It's an IPS alright, but not a great one in terms of color coverage. And it's not better than good TN in the contrast and brightness departments too. Only the viewing angles are very good.

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
1. It's slim and also only about 2kg weight, but the design is a matter of taste.
2. It's an IPS alright, but not a great one in terms of color coverage. And it's not better than good TN in the contrast and brightness departments too. Only the viewing angles are very good.

2. Yes, I am aware of that. But the screen's resolutions makes up for the issues you mentioned. It's not like there are many options for laptops with full hd screen. Even Dell has currently stopped selling the full hd 15R Se's.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
True, and to be honest, there is no laptop in that range to offer solid build and Full HD screen, lets get serious here; there exists no laptop under 80k to cover sRGB(even 90%), let alone Adobe RGB. I agree that Sony is charging a premium when compared to Dell or HP in that case, then again, what will you call alienwares' 14" "gaming" laptop? Can Dell justify the price tag with mediocre processor and graphics and a not so great screen, even inspiron 17r se with poor build is overpriced at 100k; HP produces better laptops for that range(probooks/elitebooks) or Lenovo ThinkPads....which can cover entertainment decently(and color spaces too :p)

Last edited:

randomuser111

Technomancer
Well the S15 has the best screen of any laptop below 1 lac, so no point comparing it with other laptops upto 1 lac. Color gamut is not great yes (70% sRGB) but contrast and brightness are both excellent (750:1 contrast ratio). And for a laptop viewing angles do matter a lot.

desijoker

Broken In
true...this laptop is worth the money..it has organgete problem but it is related to the display panel...I think that is the only problem in this lappy

desijoker

Broken In
What is the orangete problem, please explain?

orangegate problem means red is shown as orange color..not typical orange but u will see that as a orange color only. This is the ONLY problem in laptop. This will be a big problem only for designers or photoshop-ers, who are very specific about colors. I talked to an Sony Engineer and she said it is related to the display used in the laptop and they are working on it to solve the problem. But the solution will be implemented on other future 1080p releases of different models and not on S series.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
That....is quite serious, as far as I can remember, envy 15 shares the same problem; This means that the panels used in both are essentially same :/ . Now this has made me reconsider my decision of buying Sony S series, any recommendations now?

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
That....is quite serious, as far as I can remember, envy 15 shares the same problem; This means that the panels used in both are essentially same :/ . Now this has made me reconsider my decision of buying Sony S series, any recommendations now?

Someone in this thread mentioned that they are going to refresh the S series by the end of this month. I would highly suggest that you wait for that. I also read in other forums that the Orange gate problem will be rectified in the refreshed models.

Although I don't know when it will come to India and the difference in pricing. I think it will cost even more. If you are okay with the orange gate problem, this is the best lappy to go for. Please see the below link for more details.

Official 2012 Sony S Series Owners Thread

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
I can wait, but not for long, since I was using a Dell Ultrasharp at home, the orange gate problem will definitely trouble me....a lot. As of now, I am reconsidering all the options available(I only wish if Envy 17 was available in India). Does anyone know starting cost of Dell precision m4700 workstations?

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
I can wait, but not for long, since I was using a Dell Ultrasharp at home, the orange gate problem will definitely trouble me....a lot. As of now, I am reconsidering all the options available(I only wish if Envy 17 was available in India). Does anyone know starting cost of Dell precision m4700 workstations?

I also thought about getting the same exact model: Dell Precision M4700.
With the Full HD screen starting at: 1,099$ !!
Also add custom duty tax, as someone in your family has to bring it from the US as it is not available in India.

Yes, you can ask for a quote about this model on the Indian website here:
Precision M4700 Mobile Workstation Details | Dell India

From US:
*configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/co...odel_id=precision-m4700&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

*ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/basket.aspx?itemtype=CFG&s=bsd&l=en&cs=04&c=us&&details=false

iamzero

Broken In

I am in the same boat guys.....wanted to buy that SONY one but seriously the graphic card GT640 and the screen point of view i am seeing does not urge me to buy it...are there any chances new graphic card refresh coming for HP or sony laptops in the 80k budget..

Really those US people have loads of choices ...

I can wait till diwali probably to see if there is something new or around new year as well (if possible)..but a good laptop!!

Top Bottom