Gt 640m le?

randomuser111

Technomancer
Orange Gate isn't an issue unless you are used to a professional grade desktop monitor or a laptop with a Full HD screen costing 1 lac +. The Red on S15 will still be more red than 720p screen laptops in the market. And it's not that you can't differentiate red and orange. Just that Red is not perfect. Most laptop screens perform worse than S15 displaying red accurately.

You can go to Sony world and check it out yourself. I've seen it quite a few times and orange gate is a non issue unless you're gonna use it for professional grade photo editing.

desijoker

Broken In
Orangegate Is not that serious issue. I did mention in this thread that new updated S series with Windows 8 will be launched but they won't be updating the screen. So the problem will still be dere. If you can deal with Orangegate problem then go for it man. It's not tat orangish.. At present you don't have much options for 1080p.. Either go for this or settle with 900p screen..

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
If you are worried about this issue, one way is to get a FHD laptop from the US or to wait for Dell to resume selling their FHD 15R SE.
I know that you don't want to wait, but no other choice.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Well, I am restarting this thread, since last post, I have waited.........technically waited for a long time.....well now, I have kind of decided to go with Asus G75VW....it is not quite comparable to Sony S series laptop of my choice, but then, Laptop manufacturers have restricted my liberty of "choice". So is this laptop practical ?

Practical as practical, can I use this laptop for normal work, and how is the screen(.....its not IPS, so not so high expectations), gaming is not my prime criteria, its more on scientific side(the dell precision m4700 were insanely expensive.....).

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Well, I am restarting this thread, since last post, I have waited.........technically waited for a long time.....well now, I have kind of decided to go with Asus G75VW....it is not quite comparable to Sony S series laptop of my choice, but then, Laptop manufacturers have restricted my liberty of "choice". So is this laptop practical ?

Practical as practical, can I use this laptop for normal work, and how is the screen(.....its not IPS, so not so high expectations), gaming is not my prime criteria, its more on scientific side(the dell precision m4700 were insanely expensive.....).

Have you doubled your budget? The Asus costs close to 1.5 lac.
It's not portable- 17" and heavy build- 4.5kg

It's not practical for normal usage but it's definitely good for gaming.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Not exactly, I am getting it for 96000, I think because Asus is clearing up windows 7 stock, also...yeah, this piece is heavy, but do I have a choice ?

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Not exactly, I am getting it for 96000, I think because Asus is clearing up windows 7 stock, also...yeah, this piece is heavy, but do I have a choice ?

Yes, it's a good price. And if you are okay with the weight, then I suggest you go for it.
There are many reviews on this particular laptop, you can know more about the screen's quality.

First, if it's possible try to get a demo of the piece. If portability of the laptop is one of your concern, then strictly don't go for this.
One more thing, battery life will be a hassle- 17" full hd screen, graphic card are power hungry features and you'll be searching for a power socket much faster than you expect.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Yes, it's a good price. And if you are okay with the weight, then I suggest you go for it.
There are many reviews on this particular laptop, you can know more about the screen's quality.

First, if it's possible try to get a demo of the piece. If portability of the laptop is one of your concern, then strictly don't go for this.
One more thing, battery life will be a hassle- 17" full hd screen, graphic card are power hungry features and you'll be searching for a power socket much faster than you expect.

Exactly, well I will use it in a typical university scenario, therefore it will mostly stay in my room, and will go out only if I need to make presentations or live demonstrate any script/queue on my hardware only. I hope the 3 hour battery life as stated by reviews is enough for it. And then there is this thing about weight, this is main concern really...4+ kgs is really much(I feel inspiron 15r se is little heavy....). Screen as stated by reviews, covers fairly 90% of sRGB gamut, so it will suffice(it covers more than Sony IPS panel), and viewing angles...as stated by reviews are "good" for a TN panel...which I doubt, can a TN panel be good in terms of viewing angles ? The GPU is Fermi based, but it is still quite powerful for CUDA related tasks, and is more powerful than Quadro K2000 available in Dell Precision m4700, albeit with gaming oriented drivers. One thing that is bugging me though is the presence of GTX 670MX in another model, which is not available in India(Asus G75VW is available, there is another model Asus G75VX). Is the difference between GTX 670MX and GTX670M in terms of performance large (gaming performance is nearly identical, nearly...)?

Edit : Also, I did a live comparison of my friends' newly brought Sony with my Dads HP Pavilion DV6(which is a terrible laptop par se when compared to S15 in every angle), and found that orange gate issue is...really serious.

Last edited:
OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
+1. But if you are completely okay with the weight, go for it. At that price point, it's a good deal.
I know this is too much, but if you can stretch your budget, you can go for the Mac book Pro (Retina-display).

Well, I like MacBook pro with retina display.... but it is seriously out of budget, considering no possibilities to expand and toned down configuration, I don't think it will suit my wallet. Oh, and I got to know the Asus G75.., and 4+ kgs, well I thought I could handle it, was really too much, considering it takes me nearly 300 stairs to reach my lecture hall early in morning.

So back to the question, is there any jack of all trades laptop available under one lakh ?

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Check these out:

Hp EliteBook Pro Series:

Each model has many variants, and they also have FHD options. Try to get it locally. I don't think these laptops will be readily available in shops, but you can ask the shopkeeper to place an order and get it for you.

Both the below laptops cost ~ 1lac.

HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation | HP® India

HP EliteBook 8570w Mobile Workstation | HP® India

Last edited:
OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Check these out:

Hp EliteBook Pro Series:

Each model has many variants, and they also have FHD options. Try to get it locally. I don't think these laptops will be readily available in shops, but you can ask the shopkeeper to place an order and get it for you.

Both the below laptops cost ~ 1lac.

HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation | HP® India

HP EliteBook 8570w Mobile Workstation | HP® India

Thanks, I checked out EliteBook 8570w, well according to press release "The HP EliteBook 8770w, 8570w, 8470w Mobile Workstations start at approximately Rs. 1,79,999/-, Rs. 1,49,999/-, and Rs. 1,29,999/-" it costs above 1 lakh mark, but I will try to contact local dealer about absolute market price, which I hope is near 1 lakh mark. By the way, is Asus U500VZ going to be available in India anytime soon ?

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
Thanks, I checked out EliteBook 8570w, well according to press release "The HP EliteBook 8770w, 8570w, 8470w Mobile Workstations start at approximately Rs. 1,79,999/-, Rs. 1,49,999/-, and Rs. 1,29,999/-" it costs above 1 lakh mark, but I will try to contact local dealer about absolute market price, which I hope is near 1 lakh mark. By the way, is Asus U500VZ going to be available in India anytime soon ?

Yes, definitely try to get a quote from a local dealer. No idea about new releases, but don't play the waiting game, once you start, there is no end. Just buy whatever is available in the market right now.

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
IIRC Envy 15 is already here costing 80k but with much much weaker GPU.

Are you sure??One of my friends is going for the envy 15 with hd 7750m graphics @77K........are you sure that 640LE is better than 7750M,because in that case,I'll have to stop him ASAP.!!!

Top Bottom