Gt 640m le?

Siddharth_T

Broken In
I am planning to buy sony vaio svs15116gnb, I will upgrade the RAM to 8GB after purchase, my main concern is the gpu used in it; since I have heard that 640m LE comes in two variants, one with DDR3 memory and another with GDDR5 memory(and Fermi with die shrink or Kepler). Can anyone confirm what type of graphic memory is used in svs15116gnb. I plan to use the laptop for everyday computing and biological simulation(amber etc) and will keep laptop for minimum 4 years. Now my dilemma is that I am sort of a gamer too, maybe casual but I do like to play latest games in atleast med details, and the GPU is making me hesitate buying otherwise great laptop(my other requirements include a metal alloy body too, which is only available from Sony at the moment I guess).
Will 640M LE suffice or is there any other alternative to Sony which contains same build quality(I mean metal casing, my father owns HP dv6 and honestly, I dislike the build quality) and a better gpu in the same price range(max 80K) ?

desijoker

Broken In
it has kepler GPU...LE version can be overclocked and the performance will be slightly better than nvidia 650 after overclocking which is 100% safe in this case. Even i have ordered the same laptop and trust me it has awesome build quality :)

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Thanks for the information, does it contain DDR3 memory or GDDR5? Also is there any chance of HSPA/GSM module/ modem present in it? And how is the speaker quality?

My options are still open, although there are 70% chances for me opting Sony(the build quality.....is just unmatched in this range, Dell Precision costs way more sadly =\)

desijoker

Broken In
it has DDR3 memory..But the real good thing is that it can be overclocked and after overclocking it will be better than nvidia 650. Sadly it doesnt have any modem in it. My sister has Sony Vaio S13 Premium made up of carbon fiber :D and it has 4G module in it. Seriously man S series laptop are of best quality you can get in a laptop..Even Z series is really good..
Speaker Quality is just ok of S15...Not really good though.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
But the problem lies in quality, neither Dell or Samsung are close to Sony in terms of quality(Yes, my friends Dell Inspiron 17R feels like.....something cheap..really cheap). I am open to all options if they can provide me same build quality as of Sony(well uner 80K+/-2K) =/. Does there any option exists with best of both worlds, build quality and performence ?

P.S. I also want a decent screen(not something like full adobe rgb coverage) but something decent.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
^You have no better option tbh, go for it given you are ready to enjoy "subsidised" gaming.

I bet, Only if something like HP Envy 17 was available in India :/ My friend bought it from US and it seems to fulfil my every requirement....well only if it was available in India. Are there any chances of HP launching Envy 17 line in India? Or Envy 15....in that case.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I bet, Only if something like HP Envy 17 was available in India :/ My friend bought it from US and it seems to fulfil my every requirement....well only if it was available in India. Are there any chances of HP launching Envy 17 line in India? Or Envy 15....in that case.

IIRC Envy 15 is already here costing 80k but with much much weaker GPU.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
I see...I still don't understand that why manufacturers don't bring complete portfolio....HP DV6/7(confused) is by far HP's best laptop in India but it is nowhere compared to their flagship in US, and it still requires price premium without anything like "quality" inscribed on it. Anyways, how is Dell Inspiron 15R Special edition..in terms of build quality? (I can see my choices going nowhere now......but thanks for the help regardless :) )

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^I don't have any hands on experience with newer model, old Inspiron was average, keyboard being next to puke. But newer one seems to be pretty good.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Thanks, I guess I will go with Sony, unless something magical appears before 20th of October....still keeping options open, although in real there are no options left :/

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
I will be buying it locally, with price of nearly 77K, and additional 4400K for RAM upgrade.(atleast that is what I have planned)

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
I will be buying it locally, with price of nearly 77K, and additional 4400K for RAM upgrade.(atleast that is what I have planned)

Okay, I am interested in the i5 version of the S Series. This model: SVS15115FN : S Series : VAIO™ Laptop & Computer : Sony India
From where are you? I am in Hyd. I really have no idea on where I can buy or check out Sony laptops.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Well I am from Ujjain/Madhya Pradesh and as far as I can remember, you can buy or check it from Sony retail outlets in Hyderabad(Sony World). I am going to buy it from Sony World Indore(a really close by city).

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Prices outside are always less :/ and I don't think that they will reduce in India, atmost there can be a minor hardware refresh, nothing more.

desijoker

Broken In
new updated S series will be launched on 27th october. It will have windows 8 and lil bump in Processor with increased HDD space. rest all is almost same. So if u can wait, then it will be good.

OP
S

Siddharth_T

Broken In
Thanks for the update, I can wait, can you please give me the source of news ~
Also will it launch in retail stores in India on 27th or just a tentative "revealing" sort of launch ?

Top Bottom