Graphics Cards related queries here.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Does having 2 Gigs of onboard RAM allow games to be played with AA and other filters turned on without affecting much of the frame rates? I was tweaking my settings in BF3, but couldn't get playable framerates at 1680x1050 on high without turning off the AA completely. Currently using MSI 6850 Cyclone.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does having 2 Gigs of onboard RAM allow games to be played with AA and other filters turned on without affecting much of the frame rates? I was tweaking my settings in BF3, but couldn't get playable framerates at 1680x1050 on high without turning off the AA completely. Currently using MSI 6850 Cyclone.
yup. If you are going to use a high amount of AA, then you need more VRAM than 1 GB.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Gawd!!! dono why I want to buy a new gfx card already :lol: I should wait till April.

I see that only 7970 and 670 providing 50+ FPS on FullHD + Ultra preset
*media.bestofmicro.com/8/R/348939/original/BF3%20%201920.png

tkin

Back to school!!
For 1680x1050 1 GB is ok, its just that your shaders aren't fast enough. 7870 Should give you good FPS. Because I used to get good FPS with a HD5850 @ the same resolution.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
@RCuber
Do you mean VRAM or RAM in the system. If you mean the RAM in the system, then bf3 requires a lot of it. 4GB RAM used to bottleneck my fps till I upgraded to 8GB. (now the bottleneck is my Athlon ii x4 635 :( )

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ I was talking about VRAM (mentioned as onboard RAM) .. I already have 8 gigs. :) I think I should move to much lower resolution for getting balanced setting.

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ I was talking about VRAM (mentioned as onboard RAM) .. I already have 8 gigs. :) I think I should move to much lower resolution for getting balanced setting.
As I said, 1GB is good, its the shaders that aren't fast enough.

For eg, GTX580>7870, yet former has 1.5GB VRAM.

Myth

Cyborg Agent

Whats onboard ram ? Do you mean the memory for onboard graphics or just the system memory.
Onboard gpu has its limits. Loads of memory doesnt help if you have the clock speeds to push them.

Edit : lol. My page stopped loading after this post for some reason :D
Ignore the post XD

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Sigh.. why is it so much confusion regarding the term onboard RAM .. :confused:

for those who didnt understand my question was having 2GB VRAM based GFX would be better than 1GB VRAM it terms of AA settings.. thats all.. hope this solves the confusion.

rock2702

Padawan
I have a sapphire 7970 gpu.When disabling vsync in games,i get frames over 60 in all the games,it even goes up to 300 in few titles,but the variation in fps is immense.At one second it is 120,another second it drops to 90,then 60 again up to 150.:eek: I wanted to know whether there is some problem with my gpu as when i enable vsync i get 60fps locked and smooth gameplay.

d3p

PowerHouse
I have a sapphire 7970 gpu.When disabling vsync in games,i get frames over 60 in all the games,it even goes up to 300 in few titles,but the variation in fps is immense.At one second it is 120,another second it drops to 90,then 60 again up to 150.:eek: I wanted to know whether there is some problem with my gpu as when i enable vsync i get 60fps locked and smooth gameplay.

Dude, your card is just doing well. I too have the same card & using 12.11 Beta Drivers. Now after back to india, my PC is just being Tortured with Games like Crysis 2 with ultra dx 11 pack, Far Cry 3 with everything at Ultra Settings. I haven't check any FPS rates, but everything is smooth & sound.

So stop worrying & Start a Kickass Gaming Session....

d3p

PowerHouse
Quoting the link from other forums...

Is 12.11 Beta better than 12.10?

To some games, its favorable.

d3p

PowerHouse
Hey guys,how long do you think that the Nvidia 690 will last me for playing with 3 full hd monitors? 3 years?

If Ultra high Settings are not a priority then, surely it will last for 3-4 years. Otherwise it won't take more than two years to bite the dust. Provided we have more Graphics Hungry Games. But with the current titles, it will last easily.

vishalselvan

Broken In
If Ultra high Settings are not a priority then, surely it will last for 3-4 years. Otherwise it won't take more than two years to bite the dust. Provided we have more Graphics Hungry Games. But with the current titles, it will last easily.

okay,so im not sure of whether to get a triple monitor display and risk it getting outdated quickly or get a single nvidia 3d vision 2 monitor.Does the trend show any signs of increasing graphics demand or is it more or less the same?

amjath

Human Spambot
Getting a 7970 cfx suffice ur needs. if the games becomes more overwhelming with graphics then get another 7970 (it ll take some time to upgrade)

Top Bottom