Graphics Cards related queries here.

Query
Proc - Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHz (dual core )
card - HD 4850 512mb gddr3
will it bottleneck ??
also
current PSU - mercury 400w (came with cabinet)
is it compatible for the card ?

Last edited:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Query
Proc - Intel Pentium D 3.0 GHz (dual core )
card - HD 4850 512mb gddr3
will it bottleneck ??
also
current PSU - mercury 400w (came with cabinet)
is it compatible for the card ?

No it will not bottleneck but u hav to change the psu.Cheap local psu can't handle HD 4850 512 MB DDR3.BTW. why you're purchasing a old generation Graphics card?

it is a used one....

can u tell me the best graphics card that will not bottleneck with my cpu ???
any psu options for the same ??

Tenida

Gadget Freak
it is a used one....

I think 9600GT,9800GT and HD4850 will not bottleneck with your processor.
PSU-FSP Saga 500@2.1K will be enough.

d3p

PowerHouse
it is a used one....

Even 5670 [4.5k] or 6750 [5.7k] or even 6770 [6.5k] won't bottleneck your CPU.

For PSU either FSP Saga II 500 or Tagan Stonerock 500 will do the job.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Even 5670 [4.5k] or 6650 [5.7k] or even 6670 [6.5k] won't bottleneck your CPU.

For PSU either FSP Saga II 500 or Tagan Stonerock 500 will do the job.

I think you are trying to tell 6750 @ 5.7K and HD 6770 @ 6.5K instead of HD 6650 and HD 6670 respectively.
BTW, I guess there is slight chances of bottleneck in case of HD 6770 with Dual Core 3 GHz.

Cilus

laborare est orare
4850 or 5670
which is better ??

HD 4850 has slightly higher performance than HD 5670 but it has very high power consumption, generates more heat and does not have support for DirectX 11. On the other hand, HD 5670 has very less power requirement and runs far cooler than HD 4850 along with its DirectX 11 support. So my recommendation is HD 5670.

But if you can spend a little more then HD 6670 @ 5.4K is the best choice. It is the most powerful card among all the cards which don't require external PCI-E power connector. It is a further improvement over the HD 5000 series, resulting more efficient GPU. Performance wise it is very close to HD 5750/6750 or GTS 450. It is also better performer than HD 4850 while consuming far less power and running lot cooler.

i have to buy gfx card+psu and budget is around 5.5k

tell me price of fsp saga 500w and vx450 w ( which will be future proof ?)

BTW
from where do you get these prices ????

Cilus

laborare est orare
Within 5.5K, I don't think you can accomodate FSP SAGA and a HD 6670 card, make it 6K.
In 6K, you'll get FSP SAGA II 500W @ 2K and Sapphire HD 5670 512 MB GDDR5 @ 4.1K

Xeno

AMD - Aaja Meri Darling
Here's what I have to buy for now.
Cabinet NZXT gamma (not changing this option) + GPU + couple of 120mm fans (they aint cheap exactly :mrgreen:)

For the GPU, might be running dual screens sometime later this year. Budget not exceeding 6.5k by any means for the card.

Purpose & Requirements
-Dual screens for mainly photoshop, image processing stuff. Currently running a full HD Viewsonic 22" LED screen. Probably will get the same one.
-Gaming is optional, not really a gamer. Currently running on onboard gpu which is okaay.
-Would prefer a card that runs cool for long duration of usage and low on power consumption. Also should have two DVI connectors instead of a DVI & VGA connectors.

Current PC Specs :

PSU : Coolermaster Realpower pro 460W(80+ bronze certified)

power load

Currently have 3x1 TB WD Blue drives in the bay. Possibly will another 1 this year. Have 4 case fans running all the time. (3x80mm, 1x120mm)

Mobo : Asus M4A875TD-V-EVO

CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 620

Cabinet : Will have to get a new cabby now as the old one [Zebronics Bijli] got damaged thanks to lousy courier service while I was shifting cities :(
Thinking of getting the NZXT Gamma cause its VFM, has ample drive bays and fan mounts.

P.s thinking of ordering this from theitdepot, dunno any reliable online shippers. Hard to calculate the cost of shipping at primeabgb.

Last edited:

prvprv

Journeyman
Hello friends!!!

This is a noob question about GFX cards.

I have a c2d running at 2.53GHz.

If i add a 5450 card (1 GB DDR3) which has Engine Clock : 650 MHz and Memory Clock : 900 MHz ( 450 MHz DDR3 )....

1) Will my system's overall speed becomes 2.53GHz + 650MHz (or) 2.53GHz + 900 MHz

2) Will the gfx card reduces load from the processor while watching HD movies or video convertion tasks?

3) same question as (2) for System Memory?

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Hello friends!!!

1) Will my system's overall speed becomes 2.53GHz + 650MHz (or) 2.53GHz + 900 MHz

Did anyone tell you that? or you thought of it on your own? Processor and CPU are different components and you can add the speeds. And for that matter, unless you understand it, the core clock speed of the graphics card says nothing. the lowest end card will have a core clock speed of 650 Mhz while a very high end card may have a speed of 850 Mhz. But that doesn't mean that the 200 Mhz difference is all that causes the performance difference. In graphics cards, the more important thing is the number of stream processor, which Nvidia refers to as Cuda cores. You will find this setting written as shaders or unified shaders. The speed refers to the speed of each stream processor. Your card has 80 stream processors. For comparison purposes and from a layman's point of view, you can take 5 stream processors of AMD card equivalent to 1 Cuda core of a Nvidia card. However, that doesn't say much either.

And while we are at it, even your processor speed refers to the speed of each core. You processor has 2 cores running at 2.53 Ghz each. But they are not capable of parallel processing, so you cannot say that your processor's speed is 5.06 Ghz. It core performs separate operations.

Also, the memory installed on the graphics card is different from the system RAM, so you can neither add the speed, nor the size.

now to answer your second question,
The graphics card will take load off the CPU while playing video and encoding. But it's real use is in gaming

And if you haven't bought the card yet, take a suggestion about which card you should buy, tell your budget and requirement

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Hello friends!!!

This is a noob question about GFX cards.

I have a c2d running at 2.53GHz.

If i add a 5450 card (1 GB DDR3) which has Engine Clock : 650 MHz and Memory Clock : 900 MHz ( 450 MHz DDR3 )....

All speeds are independent. There is nothing called "Overall Speed"
CPU runs at a clock. GPU has its own clock. RAM has its own timings.

You dont/cant add them up for a "Overall Speed"
2) Will the gfx card reduces load from the processor while watching HD movies or video convertion tasks?
If you use specific software like BadaBoom (for NVIDIA) that reduce load on CPU and take load in GPU. Then definitely yes, it will

Top Bottom