Graphics Cards related queries here.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Yup vx 450 can at best handle a 6870 efficiently. Anything more than that will be not be handled efficiently and may even be worse.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@smltngs
avoid getting that with vx450.
@skud
you know na how max007's 560 ti was bottlenecked by vx450w.

Completely forgotten about it. But as per Guru3D's analysis it should be fine.

Our test system is based on a power hungry Core i7 965 / X58 system. This setup is overclocked to 3.75 GHz. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results). On average we are using roughly 50 to 100 Watts more than a standard PC due to higher CPU clock settings, water-cooling, additional cold cathode lights etc.

We'll be calculating the GPU power consumption here, not the total PC power consumption.

Measured power consumption

Advertised TDP = 170W
System in IDLE = 173W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 321W
Difference (GPU load) = 148 W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 25W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 173 Watts

Bear in mind that the system Wattage is measured from the wall socket and is for the entire PC. Below, a chart of measured Wattages per card. Overall this is much higher than reference, this is due to an increased GPU voltage to allow easy overclocking and the standard higher clock frequencies.

But if OP wanna play safe, it's better to stick with a 6870.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Skud, on that test they just apply load to the GPU without applying any kind of load to the CPU. In real life when along with the GPu, CPU will be stressed consider another 80W to 100W extra power requirement

saswat23

Human Spambot
I would suggest you to go with HD 6850 at 9k or HD 6870 at 11k instead.
But if you really want to try NVIDIA AFAIK you should look for GTX 550Ti at 7.8k or GTX 460 at 9k.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Look at the comparisions here.

GTX 460 and HD 6850:
GeForce GTX 460 1GB vs Radeon HD 6850 – Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare
Winner -- HD 6850

GTX 550Ti and HD 6770
GeForce GTX 550 Ti vs Radeon HD 6770 – Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare
winner -- GTX 550Ti

But the best card for your budget is HD 6850 else increase your budget a bit and get the HD 6870 for 11k.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
hello guys,

I want to buy a gtx 560ti. i am specifically looking at MSI Twin Frozr II availble at SMC. I want to do gaming at 1080p at all high settings.
can my psu handle it?

Tachyon1986, is running 560ti+OCed Q6600 on VX450 w/o issues...

Cilus

laborare est orare
Tachyon1986, is running 560ti+OCed Q6600 on VX450 w/o issues...

It may run but in the borderline condition, and note not all the PSU of same model will have the same build quality and stress taking ability. In this forum a lot of people also reported that their cards, mainly 560 Ti were not underperforming while using the VX450. By just spending couple of hundred bucks more one can easily get a GS600 which can handle cards like HD 6950 or GTX 560 Ti easily. So better opt for GS600 if high end cards are in use.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
It may run but in the borderline condition, and note not all the PSU of same model will have the same build quality and stress taking ability. In this forum a lot of people also reported that their cards, mainly 560 Ti were not underperforming while using the VX450. By just spending couple of hundred bucks more one can easily get a GS600 which can handle cards like HD 6950 or GTX 560 Ti easily. So better opt for GS600 if high end cards are in use.

GS600 is recommended.. But what if someone has VX450 and want to get a 560ti/6950?

Cilus

laborare est orare
GS600 is recommended.. But what if someone has VX450 and want to get a 560ti/6950?

Steps:
1. Write the forum name in a white pad.
2. Place it at any side of the PSU
3. Take some snaps of the PSU along with the white pad with name written
4. Create a thread in the Bazar section under prefix want to Sell and attach the pictures in it.
5. Once sold, add some extra money and purchase a Corsair GS600 PSU.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Steps:
1. Write the forum name in a white pad.
2. Place it at any side of the PSU
3. Take some snaps of the PSU along with the white pad with name written
4. Create a thread in the Bazar section under prefix want to Sell and attach the pictures in it.
5. Once sold, add some extra money and purchase a Corsair GS600 PSU.

Hmmm.. OK Will do it in a couple of days...;-)

Top Bottom