Graphics Cards related queries here.

tkin

Back to school!!
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Better to go for 1 GB memory or greater as a standard for GPUs. Reason being down the line the user may upgrade to higher resolutions. Also via larger memory sets, the GPU has larger 'surface area' to load textures.

GDDR Memory:
It runs at 2.5V, which enables them to run at higher clock rates, but also generate more heat. But the latest GDDR3/5s make do with 1.8V - 2V. Also some difference are

1. You can activate a memory bank and issue a read request in the same clock cycle. In DDR they are each lagged by 1 clock because there is a collision.

2. In GDDR you can write and read the same memory location at the same time. This isn't as useful anymore because GPU cache is much improved over the 'old days' and you 'shouldn't' have to read the same location you are writing.

3. GDDR has hardware reset facility, which quickly enables it to flush out all memory banks and start over.

nVidia has a 512BIT memory interface vs 256BT for ATI. But since ATI is using quicker memroy as the weopon of choice, DDR5 it evens the odds.
I doubt 4670 can use 1GB memory.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

I doubt 4670 can use 1GB memory.

Thats what i said earlier... I didn't see any performance diff between the 512MB and 1GB HD4670. In GTA4, it pumps up only ~3fps....:sad:

@tikin: Not sure if HD4670 has a 1GB variant. What you mean by 'use'.

@Raj: As I mentioned, 1 GB for GDDR is the way to go, regarding future systems, and set up. As we all know, the GPU is extremely data hungry, and where is the raw data loaded, before it is fed to the processing unit..of course the RAM. The more the better...!

Why advice a 512MB board over a 1024MB board...?????

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

Thats what i said earlier... I didn't see any performance diff between the 512MB and 1GB HD4670. In GTA4, it pumps up only ~3fps....:sad:

because , it uses higher memory when the resolution goes higher - when it crosses over 1600 X 1200 then the 1GB memory will utilize fully

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

@Raj: As I mentioned, 1 GB for GDDR is the way to go, regarding future systems, and set up. As we all know, the GPU is extremely data hungry, and where is the raw data loaded, before it is fed to the processing unit..of course the RAM. The more the better...!

I never knew that all the cards were utilizing GDDR3...Thats why i prefer 512MB over 1GB....

because , it uses higher memory when the resolution goes higher - when it crosses over 1600 X 1200 then the 1GB memory will utilize fully
so upto 1440x900 its of no use...:-x

tkin

Back to school!!

I've discussed this topic before, low end GPUs with 1GB memory can't use the total available memory to it, it goes like this, to use 1GB memory the GPU must render @ 1600x900 or higher resolution(for games like Crysis this value is lower), but at those resolution the amount of data to be processed needs a large shader count(say 112+ for nVidia or 640+ for ATI), since it lacks the shaders much of the memory goes to waste. The amount of memory usable in a GPU goes up according to shader count, less shader=less data can be processed=less memory required. Then theres also RAM speed to be considered.To utilize 1GB RAM you need at least GTS250/HD4850.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
I never knew that all the cards were utilizing GDDR3...Thats why i prefer 512MB over 1GB....

so upto 1440x900 its of no use...:-x
No, crysis @ 1440x900 all maxed out with AA can use more than 512MB memory, cause I've seen it utilize the total available memory in my GPU at those settings, means it can go higher, I guess around 630MB(tested it on my friend's 8800GTX).

Last edited:

hi guys,
I wanted to confirm few things there are two cards of sapphire and MSI which one is better..
1) Sapphire
4670 1GB (new edition) attached pic
*www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=269
4670 1GB (old one) attached pic
*www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0001&pid=184
2)MSI is there any diff...
R4670-MD1G attached pic
*www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=137&prod_no=1834
R4670-2D1G/D3 (could not attach pic max 3)
*www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=137&prod_no=1715
View attachment 3162

View attachment 3163

View attachment 3164

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard

Get the Palit HD4670 512MB GDDR3 SUPER @ 4.6k

comes with a non-reference cooler, dunno if it's factory OCed too...it's a good card.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

I've discussed this topic before, low end GPUs with 1GB memory can't use the total available memory to it, it goes like this, to use 1GB memory the GPU must render @ 1600x900 or higher resolution(for games like Crysis this value is lower), but at those resolution the amount of data to be processed needs a large shader count(say 112+ for nVidia or 640+ for ATI), since it lacks the shaders much of the memory goes to waste. The amount of memory usable in a GPU goes up according to shader count, less shader=less data can be processed=less memory required. Then theres also RAM speed to be considered.To utilize 1GB RAM you need at least GTS250/HD4850.
Posted again:

No, crysis @ 1440x900 all maxed out with AA can use more than 512MB memory, cause I've seen it utilize the total available memory in my GPU at those settings, means it can go higher, I guess around 630MB(tested it on my friend's 8800GTX).

Yea makes sense. If there are less shaders, then 1 GB as standard memory would be of now use. Great explanation TKIN.

Crysis yes does use a lot of memory. Am trying to get Rivatuner to run on my HD4890s, it has a memory monitoring options. Will post back results.

hi guys,
I wanted to confirm few things there are two cards of sapphire and MSI which one is better..
1) Sapphire
4670 1GB (new edition) attached pic
*www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=000101&pid=269
4670 1GB (old one) attached pic
*www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0001&pid=184
2)MSI is there any diff...
R4670-MD1G attached pic
*www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=137&prod_no=1834
R4670-2D1G/D3 (could not attach pic max 3)
*www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=137&prod_no=1715

Could not get the Sapphire site to open. But regarding the MSI products..

The R4670-MD1G (first MSI link) has three direct connectors which are HDMI, DVI and standard VGA.

The R4670-2D1G/D3 (second MSI link) also has two connectors. Both being DVI . To get HDMI and VGA you will have to use adapters which connect to the DVI.

Performance wise both of the above are rated same, just connectivity options differ.

Get the cheaper one. :)

abhidev

Human Spambot

:cry:Hey guys pls help me....need ur feeds guys...wanna buy a graphics card for ASUS P5GC-MX MOBO.Pls suggest me something...m totally confused what to buy n wat not to....Pls suggest a card upto 7-8k which has the latest shader version supported so that i can play games like Assassins creed-2 , NFS shift, Splinter cell conviction, COD-MW2 ..etc Pls help guys.Feedbacks appreciated.Thanx in advance.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

:cry:Hey guys pls help me....need ur feeds guys...wanna buy a graphics card for ASUS P5GC-MX MOBO.Pls suggest me something...m totally confused what to buy n wat not to....Pls suggest a card upto 7-8k which has the latest shader version supported so that i can play games like Assassins creed-2 , NFS shift, Splinter cell conviction, COD-MW2 ..etc Pls help guys.Feedbacks appreciated.Thanx in advance.

If you have a good PSU, then go for GTS250 or HD4850 around 8k. Wise deal.

If you dont have a good PSU, then a Gigabyte Superb 460W @ 2.2k and 9800GT @ 5.5k...

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard

Sapphire/PowerColour HD4850 512MB GDDR3 @ 6.6k
or
Sapphire HD5750 1GB GDDR5 @ 9k
or
Sapphire HD4770 512MB GDDR5 @ 7.4k
or
Zotac GTS250 512MB GDDR3 @ 6.8k

^Ye'r havin' a HD5850, right budd? Awesome, eh?
Love the card, cant believe crysis maxec out at 1920x1080 with 2xAA (Using the custom ultrahigh.cfg).....it's completely smooth for playing...and the game looks more beautiful than anything else.

Last edited:

Could not get the Sapphire site to open. But regarding the MSI products..

Do not know why the site did not open but here i gave the z share url pls see it from there (for sapphire cards)
*www.zshare.net/download/68506461cf8156fe/

*www.zshare.net/download/68506461cf8156fe/

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Sapphire/PowerColour HD4850 512MB GDDR3 @ 6.6k
or
Sapphire HD5750 1GB GDDR5 @ 9k
or
Sapphire HD4770 512MB GDDR5 @ 7.4k
or
Zotac GTS250 512MB GDDR3 @ 6.8k

Love the card, cant believe crysis maxec out at 1920x1080 with 2xAA (Using the custom ultrahigh.cfg).....it's completely smooth for playing...and the game looks more beautiful than anything else.

@Comp:
Not doubting you...could you run the Warhead Benchmark tool, and show us the results. I want to see the scaling of the 5850. Keep it at enthusiast, and run Ambush and Frost Fly throughs. Also are you on the 9.10s...?

Krow

Crowman

By far the GTS 250 512MB @ 6.8k is the best choice. Unless you want to OC the GPU, go for this.

ADDED: I already asked you about your PSU and it would be better for you if you answer that.

Last edited:

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

Crysis runs smooth even in 22FPS , No problem 16:9 Resolution does FPS increase than 16:10

Run ur Crysis Benchmark tool - get the FPS

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ What you want to hear about it. Seems to be a fine set up.

You all ready have this, or are planning too...?

Top Bottom