Graphics Cards related queries here.

thunder.02dragon

Journeyman
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Cooling is better on Palit as I sold 4 of them and Stress Tested on them..
In CM Elite 335 it went 85deg not more than that after 1.5hrs of test..
:D
I sell full rig after good satisfactory testing only :D. All tests are done. :D(Condition Apply)
-ADIOS Seniore

Palot SONIC edition comes factory overclocked AFAIK, so it should be your buy. Where all did you look for it? Did you try :
www.primeabgb.com
www.theitwares.com
???

I enquire for palit at primeabgb..... was not available....... GTX275 was ther @14K... costly. :(
ITwares has opened their shop at LR as well (i guess)...... ll call today. lets c

muzaib

Right off the assembly line
Please suggest me a graphics card

i have ASUS PTGD1-LA (Grouper)[915G] motherboard with integrated graphics.It has One PCI Express x16 graphics PEG slot that contains what i suppose the adopter card for graphics.i want to buy a compatible graphics card with HDMI port for playing high definition videos and should be good for playing games also.More stress is on gaming.my pc configuration is Pentium4 541 (P) HT 3.2 GHz,3.25 GB RAM,160GB HDD.Budget around Rs.5000-10,000.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Re: Please suggest me a graphics card

i have ASUS PTGD1-LA (Grouper)[915G] motherboard with integrated graphics.It has One PCI Express x16 graphics PEG slot that contains what i suppose the adopter card for graphics.i want to buy a compatible graphics card with HDMI port for playing high definition videos and should be good for playing games also.More stress is on gaming.my pc configuration is Pentium4 541 (P) HT 3.2 GHz,3.25 GB RAM,160GB HDD.Budget around Rs.5000-10,000.

Weird Mobo???? BTW Even if you buy a gfx card above 5k, your CPU is going to be a bottleneck. So you wont able to use the card to its fullest. So better get a 775 socket C2D proccy(may be used) and get a HD4670/9600GT, so that you can atleast play games at modest resolution at med~high settings. Other than this will be waste of money.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Something to help us get GPU power requirements...

GPU Power Consumption

paroh

Padawan
Performance of these Four card's ATI HD 5770 HD 4890 HD4850 and Geforce GTX 260

ATI HD 5770 VS ATI HD 4890 VS HD4850 VS Geforce GTX 260 Which would be better in performance and price?

what is the normal temp of a geforce 9400M G.Its always at around 60 deg even though all four of my processors and my dual sli GTX 260's stay a temp of around 45 deg during normal non gaming use.

tkin

Back to school!!
Re: Performance of these Four card's ATI HD 5770 HD 4890 HD4850 and Geforce GTX 26

ATI HD 5770 VS ATI HD 4890 VS HD4850 VS Geforce GTX 260 Which would be better in performance and price?
HD4890 and GTX260 are equivalent and fastest, GTX260 has PhysX and HD4890 has DX10.1, GTX260 is a better option since DX11 is now obsolete.

HD5770 is a tad slower but has DX11, so scores in the future-proof division.

HD4850 slowest of all(in given choices) but very cheap, dx10.1 only.

Powercolor HD4890 @ 12.5k
Palit GTX260 @ 10.8k
Sapphire HD5770 @ 11.5k
Powercolor HD4850 @ 6.8k
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
what is the normal temp of a geforce 9400M G.Its always at around 60 deg even though all four of my processors and my dual sli GTX 260's stay a temp of around 45 deg during normal non gaming use.
Since its an IGP the temperature reporting might not work properly, also note the fact that its a passive cooled GPU, so temps should be higher, I think its OK. Try going to an AC room and see if the temp drops, if not then the temp sensor is faulty.

This thread says its ok @ 60c: *forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=419286

Last edited:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Re: Performance of these Four card's ATI HD 5770 HD 4890 HD4850 and Geforce GTX 26

Thumbs up for GTX260. Bang for buck.
4850 << 5770 << 4890.

4850 - if u have tight budget of 7k
5770 - not sure about it
4890 - for 12.5k its not that bad, so go for GTX260....

Cilus

laborare est orare

Tkin, I think performance wise HD 4890 is far better than GTX 260. There are some games which likes Nvidia cards, may be GTX 260 is having a higher score than HD 4890. But in all the other games Hd 4890 is far better than GTX 260 and neck to neck with GTX 275. Even 99% of the DirectX 10.1 games it performs better than GTX275.
For example in 1920X1024 resolution it provides (overclocked at 950 Mhz) 12 FPS greater than GTX275 (Guru3d).

2ndly HD 4890 is a better overclocker than than 275.
So HD4890 and GTX 275 is similar in performance, but my vote goes to 4890 because of DirectX 10.1. and the price point.

HD 5770 is not a pure performance card. But with the DirectX 11 support, it may be good enough for a 19" monitor. As GPGPU implementation it is showing a lot of promice. In Video encoding it is even faster than GTX 285 (31 sec Vs 59 sec).
2ndly DirectX 11 intruduced Direct3d 11 which will help greatly GPGPU architecture and CPU-GPU communication. Now ATI stream processors are 5 way stream processor. 5 units clustered to form a single Stream processor, so actually the number of stream processor in 5770 is 800/5=160. They are much more near to CPu architecture and good to handle a complex single thread than nvidia GPUs. It is true for even the 4000 series.

So you can get a lot of benifit in other applications also while using a 5000 series card.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

+1

I would suggest to go for the HD4890, it is good and beefy. And propels all games great even at high resolutions. In a lot of the reviews I saw the HD4890 beat the GTX275 or be at par. It is the highest end 48xx part. Plus it overclocks like crazy. Even when I had it as single card it ran all games at full setting maxed. Even Crysis. I play at 1400x900.

The HD5770 will not do too much good as a single card. In Xfire they are whooping fast. But Xfire has it headaches. HD5xxx are too over-priced as of now, due to the low availability of the cores.

@The Architect:
Update your signature man...!

Last edited:

piyush2202

The Tech Enthusiast

I have a Palit GTS 250 which has 2 6-pin power connectors on it. I have been running it with no issues while plugging in only one power connector from my power supply (Cooler Master Extreme Power 500W) for the last 3 months.

I want to connect the second 6-pin power connector to the card using the 4-pin to 6-pin converter provided with the card. The converter has one end which has the 6-pin connector and the the other end having 2 seperate 4-pin connectors. Do I have to connect both the 4-pin connectors to the power supply or just one will suffice?

My second question is will it make a difference if i connect both the 6-pin connectors or should I leave the card the way it is?
Posted again:
I have a Palit GTS 250 which has 2 6-pin power connectors on it. I have been running it with no issues while plugging in only one power connector from my power supply (Cooler Master Extreme Power 500W) for the last 3 months.

I want to connect the second 6-pin power connector to the card using the 4-pin to 6-pin converter provided with the card. The converter has one end which has the 6-pin connector and the the other end having 2 seperate 4-pin connectors. Do I have to connect both the 4-pin connectors to the power supply or just one will suffice?

My second question is will it make a difference if i connect both the 6-pin connectors or should I leave the card the way it is?

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ you should connect both the 4-pin connectors to the power supply of that converter and you should also connect both 6-pin connectors otherwise your gpu may behave weirdly in the long run :p

damngoodman999

damnbadman666

+1

I would suggest to go for the HD4890, it is good and beefy. And propels all games great even at high resolutions. In a lot of the reviews I saw the HD4890 beat the GTX275 or be at par. It is the highest end 48xx part. Plus it overclocks like crazy. Even when I had it as single card it ran all games at full setting maxed. Even Crysis. I play at 1400x900.

The HD5770 will not do too much good as a single card. In Xfire they are whooping fast. But Xfire has it headaches. HD5xxx are too over-priced as of now, due to the low availability of the cores.

@The Architect:
Update your signature man...!

Offcourse HD 4890 beats GTX 260 80% percentage of games but not more than 10FPS in all - but since HD4890 has no physx so that it process 15%-20% FPS more than Nvidia cards like GTX 260 or GTX 275

Crysis & Farcry 2 GTX 260 holds the hands above HD4890

Please if u r buying graphics card look after physx - the most wanted eyecandy graphics

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Posted again:

From day one you should have connected both power lines to the GPU. Yes, connect both ends of the converter to the power supply -- and the 6 PIN to the 2nd 6 PIN socket on your GPU. This way at load, your card will pull full power from the rails. You are supplying 75W from three points to the card -- 1xPCI Express lane + 2x6 PIN connectors. The two ends of the converter -- if you can keep them on separate PSU rails, and closest to the PSU.

Offcourse HD 4890 beats GTX 260 80% percentage of games but not more than 10FPS in all - but since HD4890 has no physx so that it process 15%-20% FPS more than Nvidia cards like GTX 260 or GTX 275

Crysis & Farcry 2 GTX 260 holds the hands above HD4890

Please if u r buying graphics card look after physx - the most wanted eyecandy graphics

DGMAN:
You cannot say, that because HD4890 does not have Physics it is beating similiar offering from nVidia. Physics is done via the driver and rendered on the GPU. It is some more calculations that the core is capable of. nVidia is being childesh by holding this technology to their chest, and specifically disabling it for ATI GPUs. There are many factors to be seen when comparing card --- memory, bandwidth, channel rates, GPU clocks, TMU, ROPs. These are the critical parameters, that define the ability of the GPU to be fast, faster, fastest. Physics is hardly there as a deciding parameter to differentiate the processing speed of a card.

piyush2202

The Tech Enthusiast

^^ you should connect both the 4-pin connectors to the power supply of that converter and you should also connect both 6-pin connectors otherwise your gpu may behave weirdly in the long run :p
thanks! i connected the second 6-pin. btw, what weird behaviour can one expect if one does NOT connect both pins?? just curious. :mrgreen:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ At full load the card is not getting enough power. It can stall and cause the 3D to run. You are stressing the components but not supplying adequate power.

Run a FURMARK benchmark, with one connector ...?

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

DGMAN:
You cannot say, that because HD4890 does not have Physics it is beating similiar offering from nVidia. Physics is done via the driver and rendered on the GPU. It is some more calculations that the core is capable of. nVidia is being childesh by holding this technology to their chest, and specifically disabling it for ATI GPUs. There are many factors to be seen when comparing card --- memory, bandwidth, channel rates, GPU clocks, TMU, ROPs. These are the critical parameters, that define the ability of the GPU to be fast, faster, fastest. Physics is hardly there as a deciding parameter to differentiate the processing speed of a card.

Ofcourse PhysX is a rare part, but the eye-candy is compromising.

nVIDIA stands tall with PhysX.

Top Bottom