Graphics Cards related queries here.

quicky008

Technomancer
i've been thinking of buying this gpu for an older rig:

Amazon.in: Buy Gainward GeForce® GT 710 2GB SilentFX DDR3 Graphics card Online at Low Prices in India | Gainward Reviews & Rating

However i've observed that the pci-e connector of this card is of significantly lesser width and contains fewer no of pins as compared to the ones that are usually found in normal pci-e gpus-so will it fit into the standard full size pci-e x16 slots that are usually built into most motherboards these days or does it require some kind of adapter or other specialized equipment/accessories in order to work?Am i likely to face any compatibility issues if i attempt to use it on my system(which has an older 945 chipset based motherboard featuring a pci-e 1.1 slot).Please advise.

quicky008

Technomancer
which one would be a better choice-a gt 630 2gb or a gt 710 2gb?I plan on using it on an older system for playing older titles like fear 2,quake 4 etc.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
which one would be a better choice-a gt 630 2gb or a gt 710 2gb?I plan on using it on an older system for playing older titles like fear 2,quake 4 etc.

GT 630 is better in performance than GT 710

- - - Updated - - -

Is Creo a CAD/CAM application? If yes then go for either AMD Firepro or nVidia Quadro.

lol no. Maybe if your monthly salary from using it is much higher than the card then its reasonable.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
ok,but gt 710 appears to have 192 CUDA cores whereas gt 630 has merely 96 of them-will the gt 710 have any advantage over the gt 630 due to this as far as its performance is concerned?
No. Specs doesn't matter in overall performance. See benchmarks. What you probably should be looking for is the connectivity -HDMI, DVI, Displayport, etc

quicky008

Technomancer
No. Specs doesn't matter in overall performance. See benchmarks. What you probably should be looking for is the connectivity -HDMI, DVI, Displayport, etc

For connectivity only a vga port would suffice for me,although the inclusion of other ports like DVI,hdmi etc would definitely be an added bonus.I just want to ensure that there should be no stuttering or frame rate drops while running older games like Doom 3 at higher settings at 900p or 720p.Do you think gt 630 will be a better choice for that?

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
lol no. Maybe if your monthly salary from using it is much higher than the card then its reasonable.

Didn't get your point dude. Anyways alps2577 asked for cards suited for CAD/CAM applications hence suggested Quadro or FirePro. I really doubt GeForce and RX series will be of any use in such applications.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
^^ Second this. Makes sense to go for a Firepro or Quadro GPU for a workstation rig. Yes the gaming performance isn't good on those cards but CAD etc is where the excel.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
The cost of Quadro , Firepro cards are way too high compared to the consumer cards. So basically unless you are making a lot of money by using it, it is pointless to use those cards. The consumer cards will be VFM.

This might help:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Professional Application Result

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
Again the consumer cards are of little to no use in CAD/CAM applications. Anyways alps2577 hasn't mentioned anything about the price restraint so its not our place to suggest cheaper cards which, again let me reiterate the MOST important point, are of NO HELP in CAD/CAM applications.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Again the consumer cards are of little to no use in CAD/CAM applications. Anyways alps2577 hasn't mentioned anything about the price restraint so its not our place to suggest cheaper cards which, again let me reiterate the MOST important point, are of NO HELP in CAD/CAM applications.

Well your important point is wrong, and that is my point:

*media.bestofmicro.com/R/G/581596/original/01-AutoCAD-3D.png

ssb1551

Technomancer
Well here goes my counter post :

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Professional Application Result

The problem with your post is that you only accounted for 1 of the CAD/CAM Applications - which is very misleading.
There are a host of other applications too & if Creao 3 is anything like Solidworks then GTX series is of absolutely NO USE ergo workstation cards will always workstation cards and gaming cards for gaming and general use with the exception of TITAN X.

BTW alps2577 please go through the page (there are other pages in Anandtech and other sites with almost the same finding) as major CAD/CAM applications are listed on the page. There is mention of Creo 2 too (not sure about the difference between Creo 2 and 3) and GTX cards are ok-ish in performance. If you plan to use Solidworks then do yourself a favour and STAY AWAY from GTX series.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
The problem with your post is that you only accounted for 1 of the CAD/CAM Applications - which is very misleading.

Same can be said about this statement:

Again the consumer cards are of little to no use in CAD/CAM applications.

- - - Updated - - -

For connectivity only a vga port would suffice for me,although the inclusion of other ports like DVI,hdmi etc would definitely be an added bonus.I just want to ensure that there should be no stuttering or frame rate drops while running older games like Doom 3 at higher settings at 900p or 720p.Do you think gt 630 will be a better choice for that?

Between GT 630 and GT 710 , GT 630 is definitely better. Overall if i had to recommend a card it would be GT 730.
Buy Online | Zotac GeForce GT 730 2GB LP Graphics Card ZT-71101-10L | Price in Indi
Also if you plan on upgrading the CPU remember that Intel HD graphics 4600 is better than GT 710.

Last edited:

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Thats why I mentioned "applications" - with an 's'. hehe :D . I wanted to encompass all the applications used in the CAD/CAM domain.

No you said consumer cards are of "little to no use" which isn't the case. Those professional cards are truly for professional people. The Quadro M6000 costs something like 4 lakh INR or something. If the user is using it for critical purposes like designing a plane which eventually will be used in constructing a real plane then it's reasonable(and hence earning more money out of using the card). Cause Quadro is more stable and has ECC memory. You don't want errors in usage scenarios like that. But if the user only needs to save time and isn't a critical usage scenario then consumer cards will suffice.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Please go through the link I have shared - Tomshardware and Anandtech have clearly mentioned that gaming graphics card like GTX and RX series (especially GTX) are of no use in CAD/CAM applications like Creo and Solidworks. Especially in Solidworks where GTX cards are a BIG DUD. Since we don't know the budget constraint of alps2577 (who knows maybe he earns enough to buy one or he might have saved up over the years) it wouldn't be wise to suggest GTX especially when he has mentioned Creo 3 since its already established that workstation graphics card are way better in Creo (again taking into consideration the application alps2577 has mentioned).

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Please go through the link I have shared - Tomshardware and Anandtech have clearly mentioned that gaming graphics card like GTX and RX series (especially GTX) are of no use in CAD/CAM applications like Creo and Solidworks. Especially in Solidworks where GTX cards are a BIG DUD. Since we don't know the budget constraint of alps2577 (who knows maybe he earns enough to buy one or he might have saved up over the years) it wouldn't be wise to suggest GTX especially when he has mentioned Creo 3 since its already established that workstation graphics card are way better in Creo (again taking into consideration the application alps2577 has mentioned).

I shared the link first :p

Top Bottom