Graphics Cards related queries here.

kratos5589

Broken In
I am having a weird issue with my System. After some times my screen starts behaving very strangely, I dont know if stuttering would be the the correct word but there are weird horizontal lines coming and going in the screen and if I keep running the computer for more than 10 mins it hangs and I have to restart to correct the problem. I thought it was my graphics card as when I tried running my system by uninstalling the drivers for the gfx card it ran fyn. Then I changed my gfx card but after 3-4 days I have started having the same problem again.
My config is -
CPU - Intel C2d E8400 3.0 GHz,
MOBO - MSI P7N SLI Platinum 750i
RAM - 3 GB DDR2 RAM,
GPU - MSI 8800GT (previous), Sapphire Radeon 6850,
PSU - Cooler Master eXtreme 600W.

So is it a gfx card issue, PSU issue or Mobo issue.
What do u guys think.

Could some1 help me regarding this. plzzzzzz. I dont wana buy a PSU and find out dat the problem still persists. And also the problem occurs after 2- 3 hours of PC use then if I let the PC cool down it goes away. What can be it.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Could some1 help me regarding this. plzzzzzz. I dont wana buy a PSU and find out dat the problem still persists. And also the problem occurs after 2- 3 hours of PC use then if I let the PC cool down it goes away. What can be it.

If you are not willing to change the PSU, check the GPU in some other PC with a good PSU.... Are u getting BSOD?

kratos5589

Broken In
If you are not willing to change the PSU, check the GPU in some other PC with a good PSU.... Are u getting BSOD?

Well I only got it (BSOD) once I think in a long usage of the PSU, the more prominent problem is the weird lines across the screen. & the GPU works fine as it was working for another person and I think I m not that unlucky that I will have 2 GPUs with the same problem.
So back to square 1.
Where is da problem.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Well I only got it (BSOD) once I think in a long usage of the PSU, the more prominent problem is the weird lines across the screen. & the GPU works fine as it was working for another person and I think I m not that unlucky that I will have 2 GPUs with the same problem.
So back to square 1.
Where is da problem.

So the GPU worked fine in another PC?

Check ur RAM using Memtest

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
Hi guys, One of my friends is going to purchase a new rig. He has 17k as max. budget for the gpu. I know he can get 6950 or 6970 at that price range.. But is it really worth it? I mean the HD 6770 CFX or HD 6790 CF scales much better almost double the fps. Just check on Google their reviews looks pretty awesome. So should I go for the CF or a single card? I need the max performance.. Anyone owning a CF setup (HD 6000 series) please help me out here.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ask Cilus. He has a 6870 cfx. Before proceeding with dual-GPU setup check this article from Toms Hardware:-

Micro-Stuttering And GPU Scaling In CrossFire And SLI : Micro-Stuttering, Multi-Card Scaling, And More!

Currently, it seems like cards less powerful than the Radeon HD 6950 are not well-suited for dual-card CrossFire. Even if the frame rates look decent, the slower the GPU, the more pronounced you'll see micro-stuttering during gameplay.

If you ask me, its better to get a 6970 or a OCed 6950 2gb like the Sapphire Toxic.

Cilus

laborare est orare
If you just wanna test the Crossfire setup for Micro shuttering rather that playing the game, then you may notice some issues. But beleive me, if your main objective is to play the games with really high setting then Micro Shuttering issues are really hard to notice while playing the game.
Vicky has also played and watched while I was playing game in my system and ask him whether he has experienced any such issues.

rajnusker, ask your friend that if he is having to upgrade the GPU after this purchase anytime sooner or not. If he wanna use it for little longer like 1.5 Yrs then go with the Crossfire setting. But my suggestion is get HD 6790 Crossfire setting as it is based on Northern Island architecture and uses the same but stripped down core of the bigger brother HD 6850. So it has better Crossfire scaling and performance improvement with the Catalyst 11.6 driver and Tessellation performance. The analysis has shown that with this driver, Norther Island based cards like HD 6870, HD 6850, HD 6790 and HD 6670 has almost 10% performance improvement whereas 5000 and 6900 series have less than 2% improvement.

HD 6770 is just a rebranded HD 5770 with 3D support through BIOS update. So its CF scaling is not that good.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Me too. Apparently Toms conclusion was its better to have as much powerful card as possible in CFX setup to minimize microstuttering. And with 3 cards, its almost gone even with somewhat lower-end cards.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
I am planning to buy another MSI gtx560ti tf II during dec-jan. but can corsair gs700 will be able to power gtx560ti sli along with 2600k ???

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
I am planning to buy another MSI gtx560ti tf II during dec-jan. but can corsair gs700 will be able to power gtx560ti sli along with 2600k ???

It will handle it with no problem, after all you have a 80+ certified unit, the output is decent enough. If you plan to overclock both your CPU (Which is why people buy a K series processor, lol) and Graphics card, you definitely need to change the unit.

If you just wanna test the Crossfire setup for Micro shuttering rather that playing the game, then you may notice some issues. But beleive me, if your main objective is to play the games with really high setting then Micro Shuttering issues are really hard to notice while playing the game.
Vicky has also played and watched while I was playing game in my system and ask him whether he has experienced any such issues.

rajnusker, ask your friend that if he is having to upgrade the GPU after this purchase anytime sooner or not. If he wanna use it for little longer like 1.5 Yrs then go with the Crossfire setting. But my suggestion is get HD 6790 Crossfire setting as it is based on Northern Island architecture and uses the same but stripped down core of the bigger brother HD 6850. So it has better Crossfire scaling and performance improvement with the Catalyst 11.6 driver and Tessellation performance. The analysis has shown that with this driver, Norther Island based cards like HD 6870, HD 6850, HD 6790 and HD 6670 has almost 10% performance improvement whereas 5000 and 6900 series have less than 2% improvement.

HD 6770 is just a rebranded HD 5770 with 3D support through BIOS update. So its CF scaling is not that good.

Yeah, I know that about HD 6770, but the crossfire scales rather 1.9x in most of the games. He isn't going to spend any cash later on, so I guess CrossFire is a go for him? What about GTX 480, is it available for sale? I still don't get the microshuttering part.. Can anybody explain it to me in details? Does it makes the game lag or something? Sorry this is my first time dealing with CF setup. 11.6 should support all the new games right? So I just install the two cards, place the bridge correctly, connect the cables, install the drivers (11.6) and they are ready to go? Do I need any profiles or such? Any settings to be modified or such?

P.S. What about a SLI system, is it any better than the CF in terms of microshuttering?

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
CAP or Catalyst Application Profile is published by AMD periodically. You must install the latest one for better CFX compatibility with newer games.

Regarding microstuttering, have you read the link provided earlier? I think all your queries are answered there. :)

Tenida

Gadget Freak
I found this check this out
AMD
*i.imgur.com/LG9Wj.jpg

Nvidia
*i.imgur.com/1Nto4.jpg

Good PowerSupply Brand/Model
*i.imgur.com/HLiAa.jpg

Source

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
So prima facie with dual 560Ti (that too OCed) and and an OCed CPU (taking it for granted;)), you are on the edge with GS700.

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
Nvidia Gtx 560 vs. Nvidia Gtx 560ti

Please tell me which is better in terms of price and performance. I want to play latest games like Crysis 2, Mw3etc. and want more than 35 fps on high settings. I would also run softwares like Autodesk Maya, Mudbox etc.Please also suggest a brand name like Palit, Zotac(recommend the best one). Thanks.

WHICH is better in terms of price and performance.Please suggest a brand name also.Thanks.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on how much you are willing to spend. 560Ti is definitely better. If you want something lesser then go for Radeon 6870.

560Ti (448 cores) coming on 29th this month:-

Google Translate

It will give the 570 & 6950 some good competition.

Top Bottom