Graphics Cards related queries here.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Are there still DDR2 GPUs out there? I though those were extinct.

Yup, they are still available.

For example - Some 8400GS, Palit 9500GT 1GB DDR2, Zotac 9500GT 512MB DDR2, Sapphire HD4650 DDR2 512MB and 1GB :p
WoW, a Dx10.1 gfx card is using DDR2

But I think from DX11 they will all vanish and it's for good.

@ asigh - Nice pics but I doubt they will be much hotter than custom cooler versions. So it's better wait for some custom cooler versions of those gfx cards :p

Fahd.Malik

Broken In

Hi
My 8600GT 256mb capacitors(4 caps) got blowed yesterday. Since the warranty is over, i have two options:
1. Get the 8600GT repaired
2. Get a new GPU

for the first option, i will have to buy the capacitor set for my 8600GT from bhagirath palace from new delhi. I am sure that i can get the same value if not same company capacitors(low ESR, aluminium electrolyte caps, 1500uF 6.3V). The thing i am unsure about is, will the piece get back to normal once i replace the caps? Right now it shows pixelated non refreshed screens(like an airbrush used over a wallpaper). Has anyone been successful in replacing caps and getting the gpu back to normal?

Second option is to buy a new GPU. I will be buying a vx450 anyway( i suspect my psu behind the damaged caps). Options are: 9600GT, 9800GT, 4850.

Current Specs:
E7200@ 3.1Ghz
Abit IP35P
2 GB Kingston 800mhz
WD 250GB sata HDD/ WD 1TB eads/ 80GB maxtor IDE.
Sony DVD-RW
17inch CRT monitor, but i plan to get a 22inch within 6 months.
Coolermaster 390w EP series( can this be behind my dead GPU?)
This system has been working well and stable for past 1.5 year. So I am unsure if the PSU is behind my dead gpu.

My heart goes with 4850, but my mind tells me 9600GT is more than enough for me. But then again, i feel silly to use a vx450 with 9600GT..
The price at theitwares.com , tax inclusive, for both the cards are:

Palit 9600GT: 4700/-
Powercolor 4850: 6600/-, which shop deals powercolor in NP Delhi? and is powercolor good?
why so much price different between sapphire and powercolor?

So what do you advise me over the issue.. will be waiting for the replies. By the way I managed to get my old P3 out from the box and using it for the time being till i get this problem solved. We don't realize the performance gain without benchmarks, but we can always realize the performance dip without benchmarks.. lol. This p3 is SLOW. I never said E7200 was fast :(...

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

I dont think its the SMPS problem. At what temps was ur 8600 running ? Some batches overheated a lot. Maybe thats the cause.

9600GT is quite old. Although , it might suffice for now , thinking ahead , its a far better option to get the 4850. The extra money for the 4850 is well worth it.

AFAIK , reference models of 4850 run at rather high temps.I recommend getting one with a non-reference design.

Krow

Crowman

^True. The 4850 does have a lot of heating probs. @ Fahd.Malik Try and get the 4850 with premium cooler. Instead you might also get the 4770, which you can OC a lot or the GTS 250 512MB GDDR3 @ 7.3k

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz

^^^I heard that HD4850 was hot! But my card on stock runs at 40 deg and on load 49 deg. Now that's pretty decent wouldn't you say? That too on stock!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^True. The 4850 does have a lot of heating probs. @ Fahd.Malik Try and get the 4850 with premium cooler. Instead you might also get the 4770, which you can OC a lot or the GTS 250 512MB GDDR3 @ 7.3k

Yea..it depends..what once considers..cool. But these chips can sustain 90C constant...under load, and no user is going to run his card under load -- constantly...!

Personally I think any card with a dual slot design and good fan profile is good to go. My cards ilde at 65-66C..am satisfied...!

^^^I heard that HD4850 was hot! But my card on stock runs at 40 deg and on load 49 deg. Now that's pretty decent wouldn't you say? That too on stock!

Which card..???

Last edited:

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted

Thinking of getting a ATI 4770 for myself . What does it cost in india and which brand woul be best ? Also does it support HDMI .

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Hiiii.......friends.......This the 1st time I'm going to buy a Graphics Card. My budget is 2500/- I can maxmimum extend it by 1000/-

I dont hav broader idea about Graphics Cards. But aftr luking @ all the cards I set my mind on XFX 9500GT 1GB. Howz the card?? What r my option @ tat budget??

I want to play all the games. Even medium/low settings wud do.

My Configuration is:
Intel Pentium D(3.0Ghz)
Intel D945GCCR
Transcend 2 x 1GB RAM
19" Viewsonic LCD Monitor(VA1912w)
And SMPS is the default tat came with my cabinet. Its Techcom 450Watt.(Model : PSP 4500)

Plz suggest.

Krow

Crowman

Good card for you as any better card you buy will be hampered by your processor.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

I would pick Sapphire HD4770 and that should cost around 7k but I would rather pick GTS250 1Gb for 7.5k instead :)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

I cant extend my budget tat much. Can u provide me some links where this XFX 9500GT 1GB card is tested with known games like Crysis, FEAR etc etc. Tat 'll b very helpfull. I googled but didnt find nything interesting.

Krow

Crowman

You can go for the 4770 as it is a low power consumption GPU. You can get it for 6.5k to 7.5k depending on your dealer.

abhidev

Human Spambot

I would pick Sapphire HD4770 and that should cost around 7k but I would rather pick GTS250 1Gb for 7.5k instead :)
Hey is 9600GTS 250 same as Palit GTS 250??? Even i don't know whether my motherboard has 1.0 or 2.0 PCI-e slot...My Motherboard is ASUS P5GC-MX. Also do i compulsorily buy a new SMPS for the new card or it will work on my regular smps???

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^^WTH??

9600GTS 250??

9600GT and GTS250 are entirely different cards. In donon ko milaake bache mat paidha karvao!!!!

Krow

Crowman

Hey is 9600GTS 250 same as Palit GTS 250??? Even i don't know whether my motherboard has 1.0 or 2.0 PCI-e slot...My Motherboard is ASUS P5GC-MX. Also do i compulsorily buy a new SMPS for the new card or it will work on my regular smps???
You will need a good SMPS as your older cheap SMPS may cause damage to all other parts in your system. It will work on your cheap smps if it is 500W but you run a risk of damaging all other hardware on your system.

^^^WTH??
9600GTS 250??
9600GT and GTS250 are entirely different cards. In donon ko milaake bache mat paidha karvao!!!!
lol desii! This deserves a place in one thread on our forum, u know which one right? :lol: Also, NOTW? ;)

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted

You will need a good SMPS as your older cheap SMPS may cause damage to all other parts in your system. It will work on your cheap smps if it is 500W but you run a risk of damaging all other hardware on your system.
Even a cheap 500w smps is not any good for 4850/gts250 , i have a cheap 550w smps and i am ditching it for coolmaster 460w psu . It is clearly mentioned on the cards website that the minimum psu for running gts250 is 450w with the 12V rating greater then 26A . In most of the cheap smps , the 12V rating is way too less , mine had 18A !! and it was stated as 550w . So look at the 12V rating on smps carefully before buyig it .
The coolmaster one has two 12V rails each of 18A effective 36A , so no problem .

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Even a cheap 500w smps is not any good for 4850/gts250 , i have a cheap 550w smps and i am ditching it for coolmaster 460w psu . It is clearly mentioned on the cards website that the minimum psu for running gts250 is 450w with the 12V rating greater then 26A . In most of the cheap smps , the 12V rating is way too less , mine had 18A !! and it was stated as 550w . So look at the 12V rating on smps carefully before buyig it .
The coolmaster one has two 12V rails each of 18A effective 36A , so no problem .

Go for single 12V rail, much better.

Top Bottom