Graphics Cards related queries here.

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Go for single 12V rail, much better.
Ya but cant find one with , Max singlr rail i can get is worth 26A and that is the minimum forgts 250 , in intense gaming the card will eat up all the juice and there wont be any left for other parts of the pc .

tkin

Back to school!!

Go for single 12V rail, much better.
Multiple rails are always better, allows the load to be shared reducing the heat generated at each rail, provides relatively better stability, but Corsair makes their PSUs with high quality materials, so its not affected.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Multiple rails are always better, allows the load to be shared reducing the heat generated at each rail, provides relatively better stability, but Corsair makes their PSUs with high quality materials, so its not affected.

I dont think..always.is correct to say...

"With all the hype about multiple 12-volt rails (ads claim that two rails is better than one, five is better than four, etc.), you'd think it was a better design. Unfortunately, it's not!

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply's rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets "trapped" on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.

Since the maximum current from any one 12-volt rail of a multiple-rail PSU is limited to 20 amps (240VA / 12 volts = 20 amps), PCs with high-performance components that draw over 20 amps from the same rail are subject to over-current shutdowns. With power requirements for multiple processors and graphics cards continuing to grow, the multiple-rail design, with its 240VA limit per rail, is basically obsolete.

PC Power and Cooling is once again leading the industry. All of our power supplies now feature a large, single 12-volt rail. The design is favored by major processor and graphics companies, complies with EPS12V specs (the 240VA limit is not a requirement) and is approved by all major safety agencies such as UL and TUV.3"

Also these can be read here and here and here.

Overall I can say, reading the above links..even multi rail is better, as long as one calculates the PSU requirement well...!

The Corsair HX450 and VX450 both offer 33A on the 12V rails.

Last edited:

Fahd.Malik

Broken In

Hey guys..
I got Sapphire 4850 512mb(7100) and corsair vx450(4100) from NP today. :)
how good is sapphire?

There is some problem though. Do i need a fresh install of windows? I have windows 7, and it had nvidia drivers installed for 8600GT, my previous card. I uninstalled them, and installed the drivers provided by ATi. But the install always fail, as window encounter some error while installing.
What can be done to solve this problem?

Thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Uninstall your old gfx card drivers from safe mode. Turn off your comp. Instll the new gfx card. Power on the comp and install the related drivers.

If you are still facing prob then use a app called driver sweeper and clean all ATi and Nvidia gfx drivers after unistalling them. It will clean all the left behind files of gfx drivers :p

Then do a fresh install of your gfx cards drivers ( better use new drivers downloaded from net ) and remeber ATi control center requires dot net framework to install :p

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ Yes do the above mentioned.

If you have to run Driver Sweeper, please create a restoration point before you run Driver Sweeper. It once deleted some important .DLLs and I faced nightmares for days.

You can grab the latest drivers from here.

Grab the "Display Driver ATI WDM Integrated Driver Catalyst Control Center (English Language Only)" kit. As topgear mentioned you will need .NET framework. This installation package will install that. This has all you need.

Also update your system to the latest version of DirectX for your OS.

Sapphire is a decent brand. But isn't it too late to ask, you have all ready purchased..! Did you get them from SMC..?????..Any bargaining...???

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

GUYS HERE YOU GO:

THE OFFICIAL 5870 BENCHMARK REVIEWS.

1. Is fast.
2. Power efficient.
3. Runs much cooler.
4. Lots of new features.

I guess it will retail at around 20K initially in India.

Guru3d Site.
PCGamesHardware site.
HardOCP site.

Card has great/advanced architecture. See the OCP site. They disassemble it piece by piece, and explain the new features in great detail --- Tesselation, Dx11 code path execution, memory mapping.

Suddenly my GPU setup looks obsolete.

Direct head on comparision is here:
*img28.imageshack.us/img28/3220/1253589355ycmpekvjfn22l.gif

:) :)

Last edited:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

^^ Hey guys finally the day has come to buy the graphics card. I am zeroed at Palit 9600GT 512MB DDR3 @ 4.5k and dunno about PSU. I need a PSU within range of 1k - 1.5k as this much only left after buying the gfx card. Please suggest me something like Seasonic / Glacialtech / Zebronics.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^ Hey guys finally the day has come to buy the graphics card. I am zeroed at Palit 9600GT 512MB DDR3 @ 4.5k and dunno about PSU. I need a PSU within range of 1k - 1.5k as this much only left after buying the gfx card. Please suggest me something like Seasonic / Glacialtech / Zebronics.

Honestly I would suggest wait, and when you have more cash..get a better PSU. Else buy the GPU but dont use it. No use going for an el cheapo PSU. It is the heart of your computer....! If the PSU fails, it can burn any component of your computer.

Krow

Crowman

^Yeah... Waitfor launch of HD 58xx and see the prices of all other cards fall. Then buy PSU + GFX.

Fahd.Malik

Broken In

^^ Yes do the above mentioned.

If you have to run Driver Sweeper, please create a restoration point before you run Driver Sweeper. It once deleted some important .DLLs and I faced nightmares for days.

You can grab the latest drivers from here.

Grab the "Display Driver ATI WDM Integrated Driver Catalyst Control Center (English Language Only)" kit. As topgear mentioned you will need .NET framework. This installation package will install that. This has all you need.

Also update your system to the latest version of DirectX for your OS.

Sapphire is a decent brand. But isn't it too late to ask, you have all ready purchased..! Did you get them from SMC..?????..Any bargaining...???

Well i tried everything. The above worked on XP, but on window 7, i am unable to install the drivers. So i think i will have to fresh install window 7...

SMC did not had any of the product in stock. He had MSI, which was 7.5k.. He called Aditya infotech and tirupati enterprises for the card and PSU respectively. Had i bought the devices from the distributors directly, i would have got them for Rs 100-200 less.

salman06p0020

Broken In

Radeon HD 5870 Released - Priced $379.99

*www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=5870

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Hope they trickle down to India soon....!!!

Hey...how can I sell my cards..if I want to...2 x 4890..?? Any ideas..suggestions..?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@ asigh - thanks for the HD5850 review and links :p

@ rajkumar_pb - for 1-1.5 you can get Colorsit 450W psu Rs. 1K. VIP 400 or zebronics platinum psu 450 or 500W which should be Rs. 1.5K.

Zotac has a 9600GT eco edition gfx card which does not need external power source. It's some Rs. 5-5.2K. You can go for that but it's clocked 50MHz lower that original 9600GT.

BTW, you you are not desperate enough to use the gfx card then you can wait and get a better PSU letter

Krow

Crowman

Hope they trickle down to India soon....!!!
Hey...how can I sell my cards..if I want to...2 x 4890..?? Any ideas..suggestions..?

Bazaar section in TDF. Or better, go to other forums like TE and sell there as there are a lot more active members there.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

Honestly I would suggest wait, and when you have more cash..get a better PSU. Else buy the GPU but dont use it. No use going for an el cheapo PSU. It is the heart of your computer....! If the PSU fails, it can burn any component of your computer.

I heard that the prices of 9600GT will be reduced further, and even my friend want me to wait for a week or two(till the price drop). I too think the same, but what i want to tell you guys is, i am having 5.5k in hand and can spend 500 bucks more. Thats is. Say Palit 9600GT for 4.5k and a PSU for 1.5k. Not even a penny should be ditched into this.

@ rajkumar_pb - for 1-1.5 you can get Colorsit 450W psu Rs. 1K. VIP 400 or zebronics platinum psu 450 or 500W which should be Rs. 1.5K.

Zotac has a 9600GT eco edition gfx card which does not need external power source. It's some Rs. 5-5.2K. You can go for that but it's clocked 50MHz lower that original 9600GT.

BTW, you you are not desperate enough to use the gfx card then you can wait and get a better PSU letter

Colorsit??? Never heard about this. And Zebronics Platinum 450W - 1.4k and 500W - 1.9k here in Chennai. Is that a bit high? And the price of Palit 9600GT is around 4.8k here.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Hi guys.....I'm planning to buy a XFX 9500GT 1GB. I'm currently using my default SMPS tat came with my cabinet. Its Tech-com(PSP-4500) 450Watt.

The output in SMPS stated as....
+5v 25A
-5v 0.5A
+12v 10A
-12v 0.5A
+3.3v 14A
+5VSB 1.5A

And the input is stated as....
230v/50Hz/3A

My current config is:
Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz
Intel D945GCCR
2x1GB Transcend DDR2 RAM
WD 160GB sata HDD
LG DVD Writer

Now my ques is.......Can I buy tat card?? I mean will it run on my SMPS without ny prblm?? If yes then can I ever upgrade my proccy to C2D or add some more HDD's later???