Graphics Cards related queries here.

girish_b

Journeyman
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

1 gb is gonna be a lot useful when playing games in ultra high resolutions. I'm not much of a gamer, So I think I won't need it.

Anyway I'll go for a 4870.

Thanks!!

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

ok fine

How about E7200+XFX 630i+2GB DDR2 667MHz RAM+Palit HD4670 ? Will be better than the above and humanly priced too!

E7200 --> 5.4k
XFX 630i --> 3.4k
2GB RAM --> 1.8k
Palit HD4670 --> 5.6k

Will give u amazing gaming (considering a budget rig).

well ur config looks cool but what if i add HD4850 with my above config...:rolleyes:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

^^Ya it is. And nothing is future proof. With Nehalem on the doorstep, all these current proccys will be phased out. Right now, C2Ds are definitely more VFM. Its upto you then...

skippednote

M3TAL H3AD M3

@karan
you should mention your budget to make it easier to decide wats best for you.:)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

@Bassam: Budget is 20k w/o Gcard...also i consider multithreading...& future proof...:D

NIGHTMARE

ANGEL OF DEATH

^^If he's going to game <1680x1050 res. than 1GB of frame buffer is useless IMO.... but I can be wrong :|.

4870 needs 1GB RAM to perform free if saw the the benchmark of 4870 512MB and 4870 1Gb there is huge difference.512 is not sufficient for 4870.
1 gb is gonna be a lot useful when playing games in ultra high resolutions. I'm not much of a gamer, So I think I won't need it.

Anyway I'll go for a 4870.

Thanks!!

if u purchased 4870 !GB its future proof other wise no problem with 512MB both r value for money

Vaibhav Bishnoi

Broken In

Well guys couldn't buy 4850 Due family probs -are mad wasting 10000 on this ........ bla bla.-
So thinking to buy any thing between 6000-6500 pls suggest some graphics cards for playing new games like NFS Undercover, CRYSIS Warhead.........

Mike84

Broken In

Well, at that budget, the best card that you can get is the 9600GT. Preferably an per-overclocked one. Zotac AMP! edition or the Palit Sonic edition. Both are great VFM. Though if you really want to enjoy the beauty of the newer games, you should some how manage to get atleast a Palit Sonic 4850.
9600GT AMP/SSC/Sonic are great cards that will run anything that comes out this year or atleast till half of next year. But you cannot max out most of the current games on it. You have to play either at a lower resolution or lower detailing.
Though if you can SLI it later, it does perform near or may surpass the HD4870 in some games. That is considering you have an SLI board.
If you have a crossfire board, definitely beg with your family to get the sonic 4850. A crossfire of them will give some outrageous performance enough to last you over an year in pretty good detailing in good resolutions. ;)
If you have just one slot, i would say try and get the Palit Sonic HD4850. Its around 9.5K (i guess). If your family persists, IMO get the 9600GT AMP!/sonic. :)

Guys,

Am trying to get a good gaming PC (with tight budget). Please help me out with a configuration. I was waiting for the pujas to get the PC, but as you all know the market crashed and the prices went up. Am planning to get the PC on the Children's Day weekend (nothing special for the occasion ;), will be returning to Kolkata that time).
I need your opinion as to if it is fine to get the PC at this time? or should i wait more? :(
Market really is not showing any signs of getting up. Am a big fan on NFS and want to be ready when Undercover comes out. :cool:

Thinking of:

Proccy: E8400/E8500
Mobo: MSI P45 Zilent/Asus P5Q Pro
RAM: (2X1GB) corsair dual channel ram 800 Mhz
HDD: 500GB Seagate/WD with 32 Mb cache
PSU: dont want to spend a fortune on it but need a good one. Please suggest
Cabby: Zebronics Bijli (anything else good but cheap?) need one with good air flow
GCard: 512 MB HD4850 Sonic/HD4870 Sonic (not decided)
[PS: actually was thinking of HD4850 sonic, but it requires an 8pin PCIe connector, for which i require a costly PSU. but for HD4870 sonic, i need 2 6 pin PCIe connectors, which i can get from a PSU at a cheaper price and higher power. So in a stiff]
Mon: 19" with good contrast ratio and low response time, but not very costly. Was thinking Samsung McKinley mons, but quite confused there too.
All this plus a DVD writer.. Asus may be.

Please send recomendations to optimize my selection. Also if i should buy on 14th Nov or should wait even more?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

Well, at that budget, the best card that you can get is the 9600GT. Preferably an per-overclocked one. Zotac AMP! edition or the Palit Sonic edition. Both are great VFM. Though if you really want to enjoy the beauty of the newer games, you should some how manage to get atleast a Palit Sonic 4850.
9600GT AMP/SSC/Sonic are great cards that will run anything that comes out this year or atleast till half of next year. But you cannot max out most of the current games on it. You have to play either at a lower resolution or lower detailing.
Though if you can SLI it later, it does perform near or may surpass the HD4870 in some games. That is considering you have an SLI board.
If you have a crossfire board, definitely beg with your family to get the sonic 4850. A crossfire of them will give some outrageous performance enough to last you over an year in pretty good detailing in good resolutions. ;)
If you have just one slot, i would say try and get the Palit Sonic HD4850. Its around 9.5K (i guess). If your family persists, IMO get the 9600GT AMP!/sonic. :)

Guys,

Am trying to get a good gaming PC (with tight budget). Please help me out with a configuration. I was waiting for the pujas to get the PC, but as you all know the market crashed and the prices went up. Am planning to get the PC on the Children's Day weekend (nothing special for the occasion ;), will be returning to Kolkata that time).
I need your opinion as to if it is fine to get the PC at this time? or should i wait more? :(
Market really is not showing any signs of getting up. Am a big fan on NFS and want to be ready when Undercover comes out. :cool:

Thinking of:

Proccy: E8400/E8500
Mobo: MSI P45 Zilent/Asus P5Q Pro
RAM: (2X1GB) corsair dual channel ram 800 Mhz
HDD: 500GB Seagate/WD with 32 Mb cache
PSU: dont want to spend a fortune on it but need a good one. Please suggest
Cabby: Zebronics Bijli (anything else good but cheap?) need one with good air flow
GCard: 512 MB HD4850 Sonic/HD4870 Sonic (not decided)
[PS: actually was thinking of HD4850 sonic, but it requires an 8pin PCIe connector, for which i require a costly PSU. but for HD4870 sonic, i need 2 6 pin PCIe connectors, which i can get from a PSU at a cheaper price and higher power. So in a stiff]
Mon: 19" with good contrast ratio and low response time, but not very costly. Was thinking Samsung McKinley mons, but quite confused there too.
All this plus a DVD writer.. Asus may be.

Please send recomendations to optimize my selection. Also if i should buy on 14th Nov or should wait even more?

Thanks in advance :)

E8400
ASUS P5Q Pro
2x2GB Transcend DDR2 800MHz RAM
Palit HD4870 1GB SONIC
Corsair HX520W PSU
WD Caviar SE16 640GB HDD
CM Elite 330 Cabby
Dell 198WFP 19" LCD Monitor
LG H55n DVD-RW
Logitech Gaming G1 Desktop (kbd/mouse)
Altec Lansing BXR1121 2.1 speakers

Mike84

Broken In

Thanks... thats one solid system.
Actually was thinking of lowering the budget. I mean i am allowed to use 50-55K max(that should be including tax).
The 1 GB version with CM cabby and corsair PSU(which actually i needed it for HD4850 sonic) puts it beyond that at present. I already have a pretty good keyboard and mice pair(non-gaming but served me well in many games :) ). So wont go for that. I have a sony headphone (a good one), so wont require speakers(as of now).
Any idea how to optimize the selection within 50-55K? Cant go beyond :(

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.

Thanks... thats one solid system.
Actually was thinking of lowering the budget. I mean i am allowed to use 50-55K max(that should be including tax).
The 1 GB version with CM cabby and corsair PSU(which actually i needed it for HD4850 sonic) puts it beyond that at present. I already have a pretty good keyboard and mice pair(non-gaming but served me well in many games :) ). So wont go for that. I have a sony headphone (a good one), so wont require speakers(as of now).
Any idea how to optimize the selection within 50-55K? Cant go beyond :(

E8400
MSI P45 Neo-F
2x2GB DDR2 800MHz
WD Caviar SE16 640GB HDD
Palit HD4850 SONIC
Cosair HX520W
CM Elite 330 cabinet
Dell E198WFP 19" LCD

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot

Well my config is in my siggy, do you think I would have got the same performance as I'm getting now at much lower price. Price list when I bought was:

1. Processor- E8400 - 7,850
  2. Mobo- ASUS P5QC -10,000
  3. GPU- MSI R4850 - 10,200
  4. RAM- Patriot 2x2GB 800MHz DDR2 - 3,500
  5. HDD - WD 640 AACS- 3,600
  6. Cabinet- CM690 - 3,800
  7. PSU- Corsair TX750 - 7,500
  8. UPS- APC 1KVA Smart Series - 12,500
Just wanted to know if had down sized it a bit then could've saved money for a a display or not? ;) :D

Vaibhav Bishnoi

Broken In

So Mike84 I would not be able to play new games at high resolution with 9600GT then its a waste. So probably I am gona wait a little for 4850. Well which brand would be the cheapest for 1GB 4850. Any Benefits of 1GB????????
Thanks for da suggestion.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^ Not much benefit as of now. Cheapest should be XpretVision or Zotac or Palit. Sapphire is the best in terms of quality. You can go for MSI or ASUS if you are ready to pay more.

Ei8t

Journeyman

hey guys i need some help.. i want to update my lappy's gpu driver but i m not getting the appropriate one in the websites. its nvidia 8400M GS. searched many sites even nvidia's but coudn't find any.. can u please tell where can i get it... thanks...

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard

well, u won't too. Download the latest forceware, get Mobility Modder, use it on the latest Driver files, and then install them. That's it!

Mike84

Broken In

Hi Vaibhav,
What is the exact resolution that you would be playing your games in? If it is like 1280X1024 or less a 9600GT sonic is quite enough for ~30+ fps.
HD4850 1 GB has a small performance gain over the 512 MB version. The card has better design(architecture) making much it cooler than the referrance 512MB version. Also, if you can get one with a non-referance cooler, it shows a very high overclockability which was uncommon for the ATI cards. The higher frame buffer though comes into playonly where huge amounts of texture and all are loaded at the same time(games like Crysis and Far Cry). For the rest, without overclocking, i would prefer the 512MB HD4850 sonic or toxic editions over the stock 1GB version.

E8400
MSI P45 Neo-F
2x2GB DDR2 800MHz
WD Caviar SE16 640GB HDD
Palit HD4850 SONIC
Cosair HX520W
CM Elite 330 cabinet
Dell E198WFP 19" LCD

@ Kpower

Thanks, but i do want a crossfire mobo. I would certainly want the option for getting GTX280+ performance in near future when the card becomes a lil cheaper and games become more demanding :cool: . First question regarding this. Is the CM Elite 330 cabinet really required? I don't know the price but won't a cheaper zebrnic bijli or shaadi cabinet do good at around 1K?I mean they seem to have good airflow with front and back fans(with blue led too :D ). Second question, with 32 bit operating systems recognizing only upto 3GB of ram, will it better to get the 2X2GB Transcend sticks or the 2X1GB corsair dual channel paired ram sticks. I mean which one will perform better?

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

^^ I have Zebronics Geforce cabinet with 400W PSU and I changed the PSU thrice in 2years.

The connectors fail a lot. Get CoolerMaster cabinet and SMPS.

RAM: Go for Kingston atleast. RAM is not just about speed and price. A good RAM will have lower access times and tighter timings, stability on overclock, longer life. I would suggest Kingston for value and OCZ/Corsair for performance.

P45Neo-F is not a crossfire mobo. It has terrific VFM.

you want to buy GTX280 in the future?? Get other components that can support it. having such a powerful card combined with value hardware does not make any sense at all. Believe me, you will be looking at better hardware to get more out of GTX280 if you get cheap hardware now.

hey guys i need some help.. i want to update my lappy's gpu driver but i m not getting the appropriate one in the websites. its nvidia 8400M GS. searched many sites even nvidia's but coudn't find any.. can u please tell where can i get it... thanks...

What is the model number of your laptop?

Last edited:
Top Bottom