Graphic Card Overclock List and Discussion

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
excellent results considering it's a laptop .. may be it can be OCed better in chilling weather of Siberia :D

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
excellent results considering it's a laptop .. may be it can be OCed better in chilling weather of Siberia :D

exactly my thought, but u just need to do R&D for cooling, if you know how to do and have the enthusiasm and proper resources, you can do wonder with this laptop no doubt.

Hrishi

^ I don't own a similiar laptop . Have something comparatively inferior specs to it , but still using a decent cooling mechanism and mod , I am now able to keep the max temps under 70C now , for graphic intensive games like GRFS , MEtro LL , BF3 , Crysis 3.
It'll be shocking to note though , that the increase is from 625Mhz to 860Mhz in Core clock ( increase of 235Mhz , approximately 35% !!) , and 900-1050Mhz for memory clock.
Temps stay under 70C for GPU even after overclock., ( it's winters though , where room temps are ~22C , so in idle state with lappy cooler on , the lowest temps dips below 25C for some cores in the 3610QM. And without cooler it stays around 32-35C. )

THat laptop cooler mod is doing hell of a job for cooling the GPU.

So the analogy simply states that laptop coolers works best in winters , since the air being pushed inside is cool. The faster your cooler's fan blows the better the results.
In summers it doesn't make much of a difference due to the higher room temp.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
like i said, anyone with a little DIY spirit can do a lot of modding for increasing effectiveness in laptop cooling. Rishi can you give a link of the mod you did ?, i need to see and check if i can try replicate something out of it.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
even I want to have look at the DiY work of Rishi and @Rishi - do post the benchmark of your excellent OC in deatils . I waant to get it listed.

Hrishi

even I want to have look at the DiY work of Rishi and @Rishi - do post the benchmark of your excellent OC in deatils . I waant to get it listed.
I lost my cellphone yesterday , so unable to take the pics. I have some old pics of the mod , which I will post in detail.
You'll have the information in the thread by the weekend.

like i said, anyone with a little DIY spirit can do a lot of modding for increasing effectiveness in laptop cooling. Rishi can you give a link of the mod you did ?, i need to see and check if i can try replicate something out of it.

Will post it in detail by this Weekend.

It seems winters are best for overclocking. :p

For the moment , These are the snaps of HWmonitor I was talking about in my previous post.
First one is without the Cooling mechanism and the second pic with cooling mechanism.
Notice the lowest temps of the core. Such difference at idle is considerably good. :)
Although the GPU temps. should not be considered as the GPU temps stops working as soon it goes in idle.

idletemps_without_Cooler.jpgidletemps_with_cooler.jpg
1.*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12775&d=1385084655

2.*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12776&d=1385084666...

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
those core temps after cooling are great and unheard of! But it also makes me think that i can OC harder with my current cooling just by lowering down the ambient temp a bit more , simulating a winter like room temp profile. Those core temps i can easily achieve with haswell, yes its remarkably cool while also being annoyingly un-OC'able, but since am more concentrating on GPU OC and its temps, my core temps will not affect the thermal signature of the GPU sink-fan assembly much as those two are differently situated. again to mention after OCing the max Load temp of my GPU touched 87 while testing, but in gaming it can go upto 93 in occasions. So if i lower the ambient temp a bit more and increase the fan speed in the cooler, i think i can touch the 1Ghz with GPU boost.

Hrishi

those core temps after cooling are great and unheard of! But it also makes me think that i can OC harder with my current cooling just by lowering down the ambient temp a bit more , simulating a winter like room temp profile. Those core temps i can easily achieve with haswell, yes its remarkably cool while also being annoyingly un-OC'able, but since am more concentrating on GPU OC and its temps, my core temps will not affect the thermal signature of the GPU sink-fan assembly much as those two are differently situated. again to mention after OCing the max Load temp of my GPU touched 87 while testing, but in gaming it can go upto 93 in occasions. So if i lower the ambient temp a bit more and increase the fan speed in the cooler, i think i can touch the 1Ghz with GPU boost.
TBH , the extra cooling I have provided in the first place is to prevent the other components from being damaged due to extra heat being produced resulting from overclocking and not just to lower the GPU temps.

93C temperatures are way too high and it seems you are touching the Upper limit. AFAIK , Nvidia GPUs have max temp of casing -98C.
It I were you , I would try to limit the temps under 85C by any means possible. DO you have any vents just below the laptop , not being covered by fans or speakers. ? They may be of great help if you have dedicated fans for GPu as well as CPU.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have uploaded three different pics.
Used application for benchmarking : 3DMark06 Free Version.

1.Base profile : 710Mhz Maximum Core Clock after GPU Boost.
900Mhz memory clock.
Maximum Temperature recorded : 65C.
Laptop Cooler On.

2.Overclock Profile : 810Mhz Maximum Core Clock frequency.
1050Mhz memory clock.
Maximum Temperature recorded : 75C
No external cooling used.

3.Overclock Profile : 810Mhz Maximum Core Clock frequency.
1050Mhz memory Clock.
Maximum temperature recorded : 65C
Laptop Cooler on.

You'll notice that after using the cooler , the benchmark results also increased for the same profile. Lower temp , lesser resistance , lesser throttling , better results at same clock.

The CPU temperatures still makes me cry though. No matter what kind of cooling I use , it still torches to 90c just like that when stressed hard ( I.e. 30W+ power)
It doesn't throttles though , but still 90C is bad for silicon in a long run. I guess IVB CPUs are just like that , hot and crazy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

after_overclock_with_cooler.jpgoverclock_without_cooler.jpgwith_cooler_at-base_clock.jpg

Next time , I am going to post results with upto 880-900Mhz for the Core Clock.

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
After almost 2 weeks of testing, overheating, cooling and making custom laptop coolers I am ready to post my benchmarks. I was able to achieve a 36.7% increase in core clock and 25.75 in memory clock.

CPU :- Core i7 3632QM.
Cooler:- Custom
PSU:-180W
Ram:- 8GB.
SSD:- Plextor M5M 128GB
HDD:- 1 TB.

GPU:- GT 650M SLI.

GPU Stock Speed : 790 Mhz
GPU Overclocked Speed : 1080
GPU Core Volt : Stock

vRam Type : GDDR5
vRam Stock Speed : 2000 MHz
vRam OCed Speed : 2515MHz
vRam Volt : Stock

Bios:- Custom Bios coded by slv7 from techinferno.

Software used for OC :- MSI Afterburner that came with Digit DVD.

Max temps (after 1 hour of continuous AC IV at max)
Main GPU:-74 degrees centigrade.
Slave GPU:- 83 degrees centigrade.

CPU:- 75 degrees centigrade. I was blessed to have a 35w TDP CPU which is cooler than the 3630QM @ 45w TDP.

Playable Games at max settings:-
AC IV = 25-32 FPS.(TXAA 4x)
BF4- 27-30 FPS.(Supersampling off)
COD Ghosts - 25-40 FPS.
Bioshock Infinite:- 30-60 FPS.

Unplayable games at max settings:-
Crysis 3 :- 20 FPS.
Hitman Absolution :- 20 FPS.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Hrishi

After almost 2 weeks of testing, overheating, cooling and making custom laptop coolers I am ready to post my benchmarks. I was able to achieve a 36.7% increase in core clock and 25.75 in memory clock.

CPU :- Core i7 3632QM.
Cooler:- Custom
PSU:-180W
Ram:- 8GB.
SSD:- Plextor M5M 128GB
HDD:- 1 TB.

GPU:- GT 650M SLI.

GPU Stock Speed : 790 Mhz
GPU Overclocked Speed : 1080
GPU Core Volt : Stock

vRam Type : GDDR5
vRam Stock Speed : 2000 MHz
vRam OCed Speed : 2515MHz
vRam Volt : Stock

Bios:- Custom Bios coded by slv7 from techinferno.

Software used for OC :- MSI Afterburner that came with Digit DVD.

Max temps (after 1 hour of continuous AC IV at max)
Main GPU:-74 degrees centigrade.
Slave GPU:- 83 degrees centigrade.

CPU:- 75 degrees centigrade. I was blessed to have a 35w TDP CPU which is cooler than the 3630QM @ 45w TDP.

Playable Games at max settings:-
AC IV = 25-32 FPS.(TXAA 4x)
BF4- 27-30 FPS.(Supersampling off)
COD Ghosts - 25-40 FPS.
Bioshock Infinite:- 30-60 FPS.

Unplayable games at max settings:-
Crysis 3 :- 20 FPS.
Hitman Absolution :- 20 FPS.

View attachment 13516

THat's a nice overclock but I was wondering that without cooler what is the temps. you get ??
Your GPU dies seems very nicely binned.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
THat's a nice overclock but I was wondering that without cooler what is the temps. you get ??
Your GPU dies seems very nicely binned.

I think my main GPU has a pretty good thermal paste, couple that with above average ASIC quality and you get a cool GPU. The second one gets hot, I tried to open it once to put some more thermal paste but ended up stripping the main screw and it was an epic fail.

Without cooler eh?

I have seen it go as high as 91-92 degrees centigrade without the fan.

Earlier when I didn't even had a stand I was +135 Mhz core and +500 Mhz memory and the GPU easily reached 91. Now if I remove the whole cooler then prolly gonna have a thermal shutdown.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
are u using svl7 modded vBIOS? coz that gives u more freedom on the power target, if u have unchecked the temp priority of 92-93, then your card can go more miles without throttling, nevertheless commonsense will prevail, don't let it past over 95 in any case. those cards are already performing very well, and i wont hesitate to say, you don have the best pair ( best binned, best cooled) of them. settle down with a market cooler after some time.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
are u using svl7 modded vBIOS? coz that gives u more freedom on the power target, if u have unchecked the temp priority of 92-93, then your card can go more miles without throttling, nevertheless commonsense will prevail, don't let it past over 95 in any case. those cards are already performing very well, and i wont hesitate to say, you don have the best pair ( best binned, best cooled) of them. settle down with a market cooler after some time.

I have not increased the voltage nor do I intend to. If I go above these clocks then gpu starts artifacing and above that, the kernel crashes.
And market cooler is not required as this one is working better than anything available in the local market - chiefly intex and other local brands. The best I could find was zebronics lol.

Hrishi

^aren't market laptop cooler nothing but just gimmick .?? A piece of book does work better than them considering the size of hole they burn in your pocket.
Better to make one yourself using DIY stuff available around.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
^aren't market laptop cooler nothing but just gimmick .?? A piece of book does work better than them considering the size of hole they burn in your pocket.
Better to make one yourself using DIY stuff available around.

Exactly.

Here are 3DMARK 11 benchmarks.

Extreme:-
3d MARK 11.jpg

Performance:-
performance.jpg

The median for GTX 770m 3dmark 11 score is 5066 so mine beats it by a slim margin. GTX 770m is still the better card because it is free of the problems of SLI but considering I am getting 1.5lakh INR performance in a sub 90k INR (including SSD) package, I am quite happy.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's what SLi / CF is all about .. in the cost of heat and power consumption you get better performance for lower price :D Anyway, your OC looks very good but why Boost clock and base clock is same ? May be it's due to custom bios ? Use the most recent version of gpu-z and give Nvidia Inspector a try to see if it can make any difference.

Top Bottom