GPU touches 80, PC shuts down

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Guys, I'm having a bit of a problem here. It was all fine a week ago, but now when I start to play BF3, after about 20-30 minutes, the PC shuts off like there's no power. I stressed my CPU with Prime95 and the PC didn't turn off. The CPU temps were 60-61 on stress. But when I used FurMark... my GPU went all the way upto 80-81 degrees and the PC was off. So, I thought it might be GPU's problem. But I hear 80 degrees is fine for a GPU... especially for BF3. Please help!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
1 get Latest drivers if you still donot have them.
2 do a clean up of your cabinet. There is probably lots of dust on your GPU fan.

also which GPU you have?

dibya_kol

In the zone
Don't run FurMark. It might me GPU killer.
BTW, which GPU are you using?

Furmark is too bad for amd gpu. And for gpu temp, anything under 90-95c should be fine .. If prime95 runs fine then there is no issues for cpu(like to know test time with prime95).
It seems to be either psu or gpu vram problem.
Clean dusts, re-apply TIM(if possible), check/change power connector of gpu.

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ stock, 4GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz, Sapphire Radeon HD5850, CM eXtreme 600W PSU, CM Elite cabby with 3 120mm fans [*ahem* LED], MSI 870A-G54. I ran Prime95 for about 5-6 mins, my CPU and GPU idle at 45-50 degrees.

It's a PITA to apply thermal paste... atleast for me. One thing that's buggin' me is, this problem was not present a week back... it all suddenly started yesterday night when I tried to play BF3.

EDIT: And for some more, room temp's 27 degrees.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
For Room temp of 27 the GFX going to 80 is too hot. Clean dust and retim if necessary.

ps: Don't run Furmark. Its useless for normal users. Only for Bench geeks.

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
For Room temp of 27 the GFX going to 80 is too hot. Clean dust and retim if necessary.

ps: Don't run Furmark. Its useless for normal users. Only for Bench geeks.

I used it because it's equivalent to the stress put on to GPU by BF3. OK, will blow up some dust using a vacuum and let y'all know what happens.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Ehem! You are running FurMark with CM extreme power 600Watt PSU?
You will consider yourself lucky that your PSU or/and GPU haven't been burnt yet.

**Peace**

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
PSU not able to deliver sufficient power. that looks the only reason.

Instead of Furmark, run Heaven Benchmark. At least it won't kill your GPU.

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
PSU not able to deliver sufficient power. that looks the only reason.

Instead of Furmark, run Heaven Benchmark. At least it won't kill your GPU.

Ran Heaven Benchmark, cleaned the dust outta my cabby. It still happens. What to do? How to make sure sufficient power is supplied to the card by PSU?

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Get Seasonic S12II 620 @4.5k then.

Why'd you even buy the Extreme Power one?? Everyone knows that they are not so extreme. :lol:

I bought about 2 years ago. Will consider that, when I'll go for a full upgrade. Will do more tweaking and even apply some thermal paste before going to buy anything.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yes apply TIM first and foremost. If your gpu is under warranty ( i guess it is) then you can give it for RMA. You have a chance receiving a 6 or 7 series gpu in that price range or a bit less in return.

Ask them to run heaven benchmark and see the problem for themselves. But first apply TIM. If they don't witness a crash, then your psu is the culprit.

OP
N

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Guys, just got Ice Fusion thermal paste. Now, can I clean off the old paste with cotton handkerchief? Or what might a better option available in a generic house.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Use isopropyle alcohol or common surgical spirit and cotton. Wipe the old paste very carefully without touching nearby pcb.

Top Bottom