GPU Nvidia 580gtx OR Radeon 6970

RocknRolla

Broken In
hello i will buying my gaming rig next month So i want to buy a good gpu and i am in between the Nvidia 580GTX and Radeon 6970. Do suggest me a good gpu for faster performance and please no Radeon 6850 or Nvidia 560Ti

boddunan

Broken In
If you are not planning for playing in 3D in near future go for 6970 which gives very good performance and value for money IMHO.

However 3D gaming is luxury for nVidians at least now. I know radeon can do it as well but nothing beats 3D Vision for now.

Edit: I heard few guys unlocking 6950 to 6970, may be someone else clarify it?

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze
if OP wants HD 6970 or GTX 580, then he should get HD 6970 as it has best VFM than GTX 580.In the other hand, if he wants real performance, he must get GTX 580.As Jaskanwar said, a mid range multi gpu setup always delivers best performance than a high end single gpu at the same price or less price. So go for GTX 560 (Non Ti) SLI or HD 6870 X Fire. My personal choice is go for MSI HD 6870 Twin Frozr II X Fire. Otherwise single gpu like MSI GTX 580 Lightning will be devastating :)

d3p

PowerHouse
What PSU you have ???? Which Motherboard & Cabinet do you own currently or planned to have ????

If you have some 850w reputed brand then go with MSI HD6950 TF III CF [16k * 2], which beats 570 SLI & 580 SLI.

If lesser than 800w & greater than 700 then consider buying a 6970 2GB. Complete VFM.

Remember SLI or CF requires a mobo with SLI or CF support & a good PSU to handle the needs.

A spacious cabinet to provide additional Coolings & a better monitor of 24 inch minimum to take advantage out of it.

OP
R

RocknRolla

Broken In
OK i have a corsair 850w smps and i think i would be buying the nvidia 580gtx as for now then after 6 months another one So i think that sli combination should beat 6970 crossfire in all way

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually HD 6970 CF performs same/slightly better than GTX 580 SLI. Check here. But listen to me very carefully before going for Multi-GPU setup of today's highest cards. HD 6970 CF or GTX 580 SLI are actually targeted for resolution of 2560X1600 in case of single monitor setup or Multi-monitor setup (AMD Eysefinity or nVidia Surround Display) and only on those resolution this kind of powerful cards' power is going to be utilized and let you play all the games in highest setting.

But if you are planning to use 1920X1080 or Full HD resolution then above mentioned Multi-GPU solutions are simple waste of money. The reason is there is no such current games or may be the near future games simply don't need that much of fire power to run them, even their highest settings. You won't see any difference at all.

And one thing you should know..currently AMD Crossfire scaling is better than nVidia's SLI scaling and in high resolution AMD cards perform better with high level of Anti-Aliasing enabled.

If 1080P is the resolution for you, then just buy a MSI HD 6950 2 GB Twinfrozer III card (highly factory overclocked) @ 16K for now and add another card down the line. Save the money.

OP
R

RocknRolla

Broken In
GPU

Hiiiiiiiii i will be buying my gaming rig next month so still can't decide on a GPU. I am in between Nvidia gtx 560 ti SLI, Ati Radeon HD6950 crossfire, Ati Radeon HD6970 and Nvidia gtx 580. Please help me can't decide anything. Now my head is paining seeing all these things. I am leaning towards a single gtx580 gpu as for now after 6 months i will get another one. But still suggest me

D

Deleted member 118788

Re: GPU

Hiiiiiiiii i will be buying my gaming rig next month so still can't decide on a GPU. I am in between Nvidia gtx 560 ti SLI, Ati Radeon HD6950 crossfire, Ati Radeon HD6970 and Nvidia gtx 580. Please help me can't decide anything. Now my head is paining seeing all these things. I am leaning towards a single gtx580 gpu as for now after 6 months i will get another one. But still suggest me

MSI R6950 Twin Froz III Power Edition/OC @ 15990 Into Crossfire.

tkin

Back to school!!

If you are sure that you will buy a GTX580 later then get it, GTX580 SLI is the fastest config around.

Death_Knight

True Evil Never Dies

If you are sure that you will buy a GTX580 later then get it, GTX580 SLI is the fastest config around.

The "later" better be quicker, or you'll find yourself stranded with your single card with the second identical counterpart nowhere to find. More so if they are MSI custom ones. Ask me, I am a sufferer :-x
And forget price drop, they are usually marginal, since by the current trend they are phased out quicker than that. The excess (huge) power supply will go to waste.

Go for 580 x 2 if you can get the second before they are out of market. Else (for complete peace of mind) 6950 x 2 all the way. Go for the MSI Twin Frozr III version as GWL stated.
560ti x 2 only if you can't live without the Physx.

tkin

Back to school!!

The "later" better be quicker, or you'll find yourself stranded with your single card with the second identical counterpart nowhere to find. More so if they are MSI custom ones. Ask me, I am a sufferer :-x
And forget price drop, they are usually marginal, since by the current trend they are phased out quicker than that. The excess (huge) power supply will go to waste.

Go for 580 x 2 if you can get the second before they are out of market. Else (for complete peace of mind) 6950 x 2 all the way. Go for the MSI Twin Frozr III version as GWL stated.
560ti x 2 only if you can't live without the Physx.
I'm not talking about lightning, get the normal GTX580 and SLI, standard GTX460s are still available, custom cards phase out soon.

OP
R

RocknRolla

Broken In

Please please do not pull me in this and that i think will be buying the msi nvidia 580gtx twin frozer 2 as for now. But any one who is supporting the radeon hd 6950*2 CF can give me a link which shows its benchmark is higher than a gtx 580 sli or a single gtx 580 or for a peace of mind for 2 years

D

Deleted member 118788

Please please do not pull me in this and that i think will be buying the msi nvidia 580gtx twin frozer 2 as for now. But any one who is supporting the radeon hd 6950*2 CF can give me a link which shows its benchmark is higher than a gtx 580 sli or a single gtx 580 or for a peace of mind for 2 years

*img191.imageshack.us/img191/5714/selection002w.png

tkin

Back to school!!

6950CFX may be faster but for peace of mind, get the GTX580, cheaper and no multi gpu scaling issue, plus you get physx. Later if you get another 580 it will be the fastest config ever.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ But its almost double the price. So not worth at fullhd resolutions. Grab a 6950 or better still a 6970 and you are covered.

Cilus's suggestion is good imo. Grab a 6950 twin frozr III power edition @ 16k. Down the line, add another by saving up. They will decimate a gtx 580 in pure performance and even perform well at 2560x 1600 resolution.

Now don't say 580 sli will beat a 6950cf hands down. The prices will be doubled here and the value term will go out of the window.

D

Deleted member 118788

My Advice is go for msi r6950 twin frozr III power edition oc @ 15890 into crossfire

Top Bottom