GPU Nvidia 580gtx OR Radeon 6970

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze
Re: GPU

there is not so much differences between GTX 580 SLI & HD 6950 CFX, specially when HD 6950 is unlocked, it has best VFM than anything else.

I really cant see any major differences *www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/299?vs=308

So, why spend 54K+ for GTX 580 SLI? even HD 6970 CFX is close to GTX 580 SLI.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare

Look, GTX 580 SLI is not justified unless you are going for 3D or resolution of 2500X1600 resolution or for multi-monitor setup. in 1920X1080P, a GTX 570/HD 6970 2 GB or a single GTX 580 will give you very good FPS in the highest setting all current generation games.
By seeing your comments it looks like that you are gonna Multi-GPU very sooner. Then grab a HD 6970 2 GB @ 20-22K (22K for the Oced MSI Lightning) and save the money. When you feel more power is required, simply Crossfire it. The best thing is you are gonna save couple of thousand bucks by not going for GTX 580 while getting better performance than a GTX 580 SLI. Yes...HD 6970 CF is marginally better than GTX 580 SLI.

Here is the Anandtech HD 6970 CF Vs GTX 580 SLI result.

coolguy

Right off the assembly line

Hey Death_Knight you are not a sufferer :), the msi gtx 460 hawk is still available on ebay.in

On a different note RocknRolla get a msi gtx 580 lightening and maybe another one later from ebay even if it is not available locally then :-o

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in favour of reporting this thread to the moderators as you are behaving weird.

Summing everything up.

GTX 580 = 27.5k. Fastest single GPU card and single GPU means hasslefree.
HD 6970 = 21k. Two of these in CF are almost equal to two GTX 580 in SLI at a much cheaper price. I will do the math for you, 42k vs 55k.
HD 6950 = 15k. Two of these in CF are much faster than a single GTX 580 but single GPU i.e. GTX 580 is supposedly hasslefree. I will again do the math for you, more performance in 30k vs 27.5k of GTX 580.
HD 6990 = 40k. Fastest card out there. Performance equal to cheaper two HD 6950 CF.

You want 2 GTX 580s in SLI? Get it. It's your money. But only playing at 1080p resolution with them is a waste.

Do some research on your own regarding performance, prices et cetera before creating a thread and don't create multiple threads for the same thing.

rchi84

In the zone
Hi Rocknrolla

Like everyone's told you, it's your money to spend. No one is forcing you to buy a card. What we're trying to do is to tell you that for the money you end up spending, you may not end up with the best performance.

Multi-GPU setups sound nice and fancy, but to truly make the most of the them, you have to invest in a decent monitor setup, for them to stretch their legs and perform well.

at 1080p, a card like the Geforce 560 Ti or the radeon 6950 is more than sufficient to run 90% of games today at 8xAA at max details. The odd games like Metro 2033 and Witcher 2 will remain optimised for dual video cards. But for the next two years at least, these cards will serve you very well.

Think of the 580 as a Ferrari. On our roads, the Ferrari never has the space or a stretch without bumps/potholes to run at more than 250Km/h. When you can drive it at a max of 80KM/h, you are travelling the same speed as a Maruti.

Think of the road as the monitor. You need a 2560x1600 monitor to make the 580 distance itself from the single GPUs in the market, but at it's price range, a 6950x2 crossfire setup will be ahead of it as well.

Think before you spend, because this money will be lost forever and you wont get a second chance to make a better purchase once the deal is done.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Open to online buying?

SMCinternational.in is selling MSI GTX 580 Twin Fozr II for 25.9k. The price is good.

However, if you are dead set on using a multi-GPU solution for whatsoever reason, go with what tkin suggested.

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze
I would say get two MSI HD 6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC & crossfire them to bring thunder ;) much better than GTX 570 SLI/GTX 590 & perform similar to HD 6970 CFX/HD6990.

Sarath

iDota
Open to online buying?

SMCinternational.in is selling MSI GTX 580 Twin Fozr II for 25.9k. The price is good.

However, if you are dead set on using a multi-GPU solution for whatsoever reason, go with what tkin suggested.

This looks like a good deal. Get this if you can find this.

I have a Sapphire Ati Radeon HD 6970 @ 21000. I max out all settings for now and it runs well.

But GTX 580 was 28000 when I bought this. If you are looking at VFM options then even the 6970 is not the most VFM one out there.

Top Bottom