GPU NEWS Channel

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
ashish bro MARS was on the news previously as well :D i guess you only served it up here in TDF :D

Review: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti GHz Edition - Graphics - HEXUS.net

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Alleged NVIDIA Maxwell Architectural Specifications Unveiled

"Allegedly new information regarding the NVIDIA Maxwell based chips and their architecture have been leaked by a random user on pastebin. Their have been various rumors flying by regarding the chips and don’t take this news too seriously since it could be made up too but some of the information is highly plausible so we will take a look at it nevertheless....

Its common knowledge that NVIDIA is going to introduce their latest Maxwell architecture next year which will introduce a robust new architecture design featuring new levels of graphics performance in both gaming and the compute world. NVIDIA has plans to introduce four chips next year which include GM100, GM104, GM106 and the GM108. Compared to Kepler, these new NVIDIA Maxwell chips would feature a slightly enhanced SMX unit structure and made some optimizations so that the double-precision algorithm logic unit can now be used for the Single-precision too supporting all the new SP instructions"

NVIDIA Maxwell GM100:
8 GPCs/24 SMX/6144 Cuda Cores/384 TMU/64 ROPs/512-bit upto 8 GB GDDR5

NVIDIA Maxwell GM104:
5 GPCs/15 SMX/3840 Cuda Cores/240 TMUs/40 ROPs/320-bit 3 GB VRAM

NVIDIA Maxwell GM106:
2304 ALUs/144 TMUs/24 ROPs/192-bit 3 GB VRAM

NVIDIA Maxwell GM108:
1024 ALUs/64 TMUs/16 ROPs/128-bit 2 GB VRAM

Full Story

Source- OCN

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
saw that and he has almost touched 2 Ghz .. another achievements in his long record list ;)

BTW, check out this sexy looking WC for R9 290x which can save the gpu from meltdown be reducing temp by 50c :D
NZXT Kraken G10 GPU Water Cooler Review on an AMD Radeon R9 290X - Page 4 of 6 - Legit ReviewsAMD Radeon R9 290X Water Cooled Temperature Testing

ASHISH65

Technomancer
saw that and he has almost touched 2 Ghz .. another achievements in his long record list ;)

BTW, check out this sexy looking WC for R9 290x which can save the gpu from meltdown be reducing temp by 50c :D
NZXT Kraken G10 GPU Water Cooler Review on an AMD Radeon R9 290X - Page 4 of 6 - Legit ReviewsAMD Radeon R9 290X Water Cooled Temperature Testing

Now that's Really sexy:-D.Temps are Unbelievable :cool:

Nvidia G-Sync Technology Preview - Monitors - Tom's Hardware :-D

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Now that's Really sexy:-D.Temps are Unbelievable :cool:

Nvidia G-Sync Technology Preview - Monitors - Tom's Hardware :-D

Anybody who is flaming over who is better: AMD or nVidia, is clearly missing the point. With nVidia's G-Sync, and AMD's Mantle, we have, for the first time in a while, real market competition in the GPU space. What does that mean for consumers? Lower prices, better products.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anybody who is flaming over who is better: AMD or nVidia, is clearly missing the point. With nVidia's G-Sync, and AMD's Mantle, we have, for the first time in a while, real market competition in the GPU space. What does that mean for consumers? Lower prices, better products.

Not so easy, if they remain proprietary. So far the indications are they will remain proprietary for some time to come. BTW, AMD is also developing technology like adaptive sync/G-Sync, although no one knows when it will come.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
the lower money AND better product theory is long gone, its obsolete now, Flame wars and controversies and heated discussions are always part of the hardware ecosystem, who's better at times and not, but it has been proved statistically from market review, that growth margin of any product sales, got heavily dependent on either arrival of a new technology which irrespective of high price, provides incredible performance, or a product which is so exceptionally well priced that it can outweigh some shortcomings. its not lower price AND better product now, its already a good product compared to the competition, better when it also meets up to its lacking parts,

as for nvidia, no doubt delivered revolutionary GPUS, but at mammoth price, an nvidia product WILL be a better product if they price it like "we expect it to be" individually from one user to one user, not what everyone expects it to be. we are not everyone, not even close, the first and second world mass have bought a awful amount of overpriced cards in last 2-3 years from the day they arrived,still buying and will buy. and that contributes,

An AMD card will be a better card if they lose their "pursuit for low price" adventure spree and provide better cooling/build in their cards against a fair premium, people will still buy it no one will complain, in bulk, for there is no question that they have GPUs which have extraordinary performance potential, the very silly issues like "card is hot, fan loud, wait for driver, slap EK block, third party cooler" is barring a hell lot of people to go and buy these superb cards from a shop the day they are released, and that contributes too.

so better product has become more relative now, low price, good cooling, dazzling performance alone can not decide a products fate right now. Its on the choice of the user now.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Exceptionally well written. Straight to the point.

Here in India though, the scene always shifts to the lower price spectrum.
The term "value" means a lot here and eventually decides the fate of a product.

A 35k R9-290 is going to get lots of second glances than an under performing 50k Gtx 780 (Not the ghz edition).
Definitely true VFM. People can ignore the other shortcomings like cooling, if the price difference is this large and that too more performance.

Same applies between R9-290X and 780-ti, but in this case the latter outperforms and has more oc potential than the radeon. Though must say that AMD should have fixed these issues right from launch rather than relying on board makers to come up with their versions.
The reference model should be good.

That said, here's an interesting article that should throw more some more light into the topic on hand:

HARDOCP - Introduction - 4 Weeks with Radeon R9 290X CrossFire

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
well yes, and in india, right now, dont know how price cut from nvidia missed the train big time, but here 780 50-55K, and 780ti 59K! all over newegg, amazon e-bay in a lil more west even HOF/classy versions are 500USD+, with whatever inflation, absurd tax going on a 780 after these many days, CAN NOT be priced at 50K in india !! its absurd.

quad_core

CyberdyneSystems Model101
@sam_738844 : good points there. Exactly the reason why I didn't go for R9 290. I saw the videos of the stock cooler. The noise. The buggy drivers. All these things put me off. Nvidia really makes some quality GPUs and drivers. I waited quite some time for custom cooled 290 thenI had almost placed an order for 290(stock). But I wasn't quite convinced with the operating temps and the fan noise. Agreed custom cooled cards would solve the issue. But I lost the interest in amd cards. And I went for gtx770. I know 290 is faster then 770. But I wanted a really silent card with good drivers. That gtx770 is completely inaudible when while gaming. That's what I liked the most. And yes I will OC it . I know nvidia is over priced . My gtx770 is priced dangerously close to 290. but then you get really good , robust and a cool GPU with good driver support.(in my case , the gtx770) . so its really upon the buyer .

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
I just don't understand how these people go on saying buggy drivers. I have been using my 6970 since 1.5 years without a single driver issue!

Anyways, MSI Radeon R9 290X Twin Frozr 4S OC Gaming Edition Graphic Card Spotted

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
@sam_738844 : good points there. Exactly the reason why I didn't go for R9 290. I saw the videos of the stock cooler. The noise. The buggy drivers. All these things put me off. Nvidia really makes some quality GPUs and drivers. I waited quite some time for custom cooled 290 thenI had almost placed an order for 290(stock). But I wasn't quite convinced with the operating temps and the fan noise. Agreed custom cooled cards would solve the issue. But I lost the interest in amd cards. And I went for gtx770. I know 290 is faster then 770. But I wanted a really silent card with good drivers. That gtx770 is completely inaudible when while gaming. That's what I liked the most. And yes I will OC it . I know nvidia is over priced . My gtx770 is priced dangerously close to 290. but then you get really good , robust and a cool GPU with good driver support.(in my case , the gtx770) . so its really upon the buyer .

buggy driver is old news mate for AMD, they have pretty good driver support right now, only in few instance of CFX frame pacing is lurking in some handful of games. The new driver for R9-290 increasing fan speed cant be called an issue, yes it definitely makes the fan louder but it does so for the card not to throttle. The Real point is even not with the Noise, i mean when u get a 400$ card against that performance, you can forget about noise, but things go in mind when people looking for a card is

A. Is the price correct --> no doubt
B. is performance/dollar justified--> Absolutely
C. Temperature--> High
D. i want to buy this card now or about a in a week, are board makers ready with custom cooled versions in my country-- > no
E. Is it really piece of cake if i can slap a WB in a jiffy without voiding the warranty --> no

See when a potential buyer thinks to buy a card, one can not expect him to be much into HW, who can do all these WB things just like that one fine morning and get rid of the temp issue, throttle or not, fan speed PWM, they dont know all these, they go into a tech review site , see that "mentioning" of 90+ temp and their faces turning blue, temperature is never a good thing, never, so buyer starts to think of alternative, they go for R9-280X, they go for 780 with 100 bucks more. coz they already have cooled versions, ready, its about readiness too, if AMD have a card ready like DCU2 or vaporX for 290 with a max temp of even 89 deg, it will trigger into buyer's mind very fast that its less than that 90, because he wants desperately to see that figure in his mind and he will buy it instantaneously.

again its on the buyer, if he knows how to live with a lil high temp and noise with superb perf/bucks , he wins in his way, if a buyer dont like this idea and pays 100 bucks more for his satisfaction of the card performing same in less temp, he wins too.

There is NO BAD processing unit made by any of the camp right now, no significant game-killer driver issues too, every GPU is remarkably powerful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom