GPU for around 14k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only the LOAD temp is long term gaming makes little higher not much

Did u try FURMARK & see the Load temp !

I currently don't have Furmark installed but tried OCCT & Kombustor. Load temp reaches avg 81-82C with the fan speed at 77% (default). Turning the fan at 100% help it lower at couple of degrees. Of course, these are stress tests - in real world gaming it remains around 70-72C. Idle is 45-46C.

What are the temps of your 560Ti? It must be cooler than this.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
I believe U r becoming a FanBoi , Off-course me too !:razz: ANyway HD 6950 1Gb is also nice card , Only cooler is little hot !

^^ Yes, 560Ti FTW..... It's not that i am biased towards NVIDIA, but 560 with that price point surely a nice deal and Jaz knows this. But still his FANBOI'SM is not letting him choose Green over Red. (juz kidding)

IMO 560 runs lot cooler than it's Red rivals....

want me to prove my point:p :-D

dont suggest the 560Ti, he don't like it...huge thread here shows that.. :p

its different about hating and preferring. i never said 560 is hateful..infact very nice card but i prefer 6950 over it anyday.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends. If you don't mind going for a slightly older but high end product then the 5870 from Lynx is a killer deal at 12K. if you are just willing to pay 12K and want something newer and don't mind slightly lower performance/lower game settings then go for 6870. If you are hungry for more, go for 6950 or 560.

Last edited:
OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@toad_frog

here are a few reviews i saw -

*www.anandtech.com/show/4135/nvidias-geforce-gtx-560-ti-upsetting-the-250-market
*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gf114,2845.html
*www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-vs-geforce-gtx-560-ti-review/
*www.guru3d.com/article/msi-n560gtx-ti-twin-frozer-ii-review/1
*www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_560_Ti/
*techgage.com/article/amd_hd_6950_1gb_vs_nvidia_gtx_560_ti_overclocking/

*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6990-geforce-gtx-590,2912-4.html
*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6990-geforce-gtx-590,2912-7.html

some of games i preferred -
metro2033
crysis
battlefield bad company 2
stalker COP
CIV5
etc

and of course there was a huge thread of variable opinions and attacks - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/136238-gtx-560-discussion.html

many other reviews are available like that of 6950 twin frozr III and 6950 twin frozr II and gtx560ti hawk etc etc etc...

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
Depends. If you don't mind going for a slightly older but high end product then the 5870 from Lynx is a killer deal at 12K. if you are just willing to pay 12K and want something newer and don't mind slightly lower performance/lower game settings then go for 6870. If you are hungry for more, go for 6950 or 560.

Are you sure the product is with free shipping? And is the price tax inclusive? Cause if its not, then i thinkits better to pay a few bucks more and get 6950.
When i first saw the card 5870 on the website, i was like man what a typo!..

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you sure the product is with free shipping? And is the price tax inclusive? Cause if its not, then i thinkits better to pay a few bucks more and get 6950.
When i first saw the card 5870 on the website, i was like man what a typo!..

That's what they have written. Although I don't know about the taxes. Even with 5% VAT it comes to 12.6K. Some 2K below the 6950 1gb. Still a great deal if you are restricted by your budget. Another thing, the 5870 is lengthier than 6950 1gb. That may be important for some.

5870 @ 12k...... ??? Is 5870>6850?

Definitely. If you remember the 68xx series was supposed to be 67xx series and the current 69xx series was supposed to be 68xx series. So 5870 is definitely better than 6850 although the latter has better tessellation. So in DX11 games which will use heavy tessellation the gap would be smaller. But in shader heavy games the 5870 will kill the 6850.

Cilus

laborare est orare
HD 5870 is even better than HD 6870 although 6800 cards have better Tessellation performance. HD 6870 actually sits between HD 5850 and HD 5870. But I am not able to find it at 12K in anywhere of Lynx-india. Could anybody post the link?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's no link as such, you have to contact them through email. I have already posted it here:-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-c...ted-general-queries-here-447.html#post1383119

The Lynx announcement is here:-

*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?ukey=news&blog_id=3984

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
want me to prove my point:p :-D

its different about hating and preferring. i never said 560 is hateful..infact very nice card but i prefer 6950 over it anyday.

You dont need to prove - If u r not using Linux / Have extra money sure get Msi HD 6950 2GB Twin frozr (i personally like this card very much)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Buddy he is talking about the 1gb version. Where's the question of extra money arises?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ jaskanwar

Buddy have a look at msi gtx 560 hawk. Its factory overclocked to a whooping 950mhz core clock and is definitely equally as fast as 69502gb out of the box. The cooler is great and temps stay much cooler than the reference model even with such a high pre overclock.

Just check the prices and see if it suits your budget. You will almost get gtx 570 performance from it and it can be overclocked beyond 1ghz as well.

Check its review HERE.

A small quote:

Competition with AMD

Honestly, we expected the AMD Radeon HD 6950 to do better against the MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk. We underestimated how effective MSI's overclocking of this video card really is. Of course, we didn't overclock the Radeon HD 6950. Right now, you can get a nice XFX Radeon HD 6950 for $210 after a mail-in rebate. That's $50 less than the MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk. With that gap, the value line blurs somewhat. The HD 6950 dominated in two of our games and tied the N560GTX-Ti Hawk in two other games. In only one out of our five games (Civilization V) did it lag behind its competition. And even without the rebate, it's still $20 cheaper.

Now you would say we can overclock 6950 as well. But the fact is, out of the box, 6950's temps are 79c at full load. Now overclocking this further beyond will take the gpu core temps to alarming levels which might damage the gpu core during long term usage.

At 950mhz, msi hawk was 50c at full load. So it can be overclocked further beyond. Since you won't be crossfiring or going the multimonitor way, the hawk suits you better if the prices are okay.

Else stick with a 6950.

p.s- The review was against a 6950 2gb and not the 1gb version. 2gb version has better aa and post filtering performance than the 1gb version.

Noob question, whats the deal with linux??

For linux, nvidia is the way to go. They are much better suited for the linux platform than amd currently.

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think then this game is not going to end - starting from 6850 at 10K there's a card worthy of purchase at every 1-1.5K increase for the extra performance. Even the 6950 1gb or the 560Ti is over OP's budget.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@ jaskanwar

Buddy have a look at msi gtx 560 hawk. Its factory overclocked to a whooping 950mhz core clock and is definitely equally as fast as 69502gb out of the box. The cooler is great and temps stay much cooler than the reference model even with such a high pre overclock.

Just check the prices and see if it suits your budget. You will almost get gtx 570 performance from it and it can be overclocked beyond 1ghz as well.

Check its review HERE.

A small quote:

Now you would say we can overclock 6950 as well. But the fact is, out of the box, 6950's temps are 79c at full load. Now overclocking this further beyond will take the gpu core temps to alarming levels which might damage the gpu core during long term usage.

At 950mhz, msi hawk was 50c at full load. So it can be overclocked further beyond. Since you won't be crossfiring or going the multimonitor way, the hawk suits you better if the prices are okay.

Else stick with a 6950.

thanks for suggestion batman :)

but -

if 6950 has temp problems gtx 560 ti has power consumption probs.

*img810.imageshack.us/img810/5686/1303089660j0g8npes2o91.gif

and such high power consumption for just equaling a 6950 - doesnt actually suit me atleast.

and about ocing 6950 you can always adjust fan profiles.

example - rchi's stock cooled msi with everything unlocked and oced to 6970 levels doesnt reach more than 65C and he is happy with all settings he made like fan profile etc etc.

well guys, just to give a quick update, I've been tweaking away with Afterburner.

On stock volts (1.1V) I am able to match the stock 6970 clocks of 880/1375.

the only issue is that it isn't furmark stable BUT (get this), every other benchie like Vantage, 11, Unigine and all my games run well enough as long as powertune is set at +20%.

with a fan profile set at 70% on load, i get around 65 Degrees and the card idles around 40. Room temps are around 34 degrees so I am quite happy.

Back to gaming at 6950 clocks though its nice to know there's more under the hood.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/138854-amd-radeon-hd-6950-unlocked-2.html#post1370723

and sapphire 6950 1gb is custom cooled.

and i also dont mind a little noise in my system. (atleast i have experiance with my old p4 :-D)

another thing if normal twin frozr 560 is 14.8k at smc
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozer II/OC

hawk is twin frozr III cooler and i think it will be atleast 15.5-16k..and at 16k MSI TWIN FROZR II 6950 2GB is available. so another plus for 6950.

and my budget is not 16k but currently 12k.

but i do plan to do what piyush baba told about HD7000 -

@jas...if those speculations are true(i mean june-july thing)...then wait for them
meanwhile you will be saving money too.....and by that time , the prices will drop a bit
so its a win-win situation if you wait for july

You dont need to prove - If u r not using Linux / Have extra money sure get Msi HD 6950 2GB Twin frozr (i personally like this card very much)

thanks for suggestion:)

Noob question, whats the deal with linux??

to put it simple - nvidia - better linux drivers

did i use the word hate ? :-?

AFAIK not liking = hating
:smile:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom