Got an ipad 3, very disappointed - it's just not that great for an Indian context

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Ico i think its already here. Intel's atom based Soc's currently uses x86 instructions instead of ARM. The atom z2460 codenamed medfield is a single hyperthreaded core using 32nm fab and has powerVR sgx 540 as the graphics. Similarly the upcoming clover trail will be a dual core soc with hyperthreading and will have updated graphics i.e powerVR sgx 544.

Source

Lennovo ideapad k2110 is using that intel SoC but runs android. Owing for x86 instruction support, i guess you uses linux distros like gnome but never seen one working in real life ( lennovo run ics 4.0)

Source

AFAIK GNOME is a shell(GUI) and not a distro.

And IMO Ico is talking about ULV like those in Ultrabook or maybe Likes of AMD Trinity.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
AFAIK GNOME is a shell(GUI) and not a distro.

And IMO Ico is talking about ULV like those in Ultrabook.

Yeah you're right mate (post edited :) ). It runs on top of the os. But to use it, the underlying os has to be unix based isn't it?

But what i meant is that these x86 Soc's should have the power to run linux in a tablet form factor.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Yeah you're right mate (post edited :) ). It runs on top of the os. But to use it, the underlying os has to be unix based isn't it?

But what i meant is that these x86 Soc's should have the power to run linux in a tablet form factor.

But as of now neither Xolo nor Lenovo is running on linux distro.
Maybe sometime soon.
Still 3yrs is too long..and as you said we are almost there IMO.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Similarly the upcoming clover trail will be a dual core soc with hyperthreading and will have updated graphics i.e powerVR sgx 544.
The biggest deal - PowerVR graphics = crapfest for Linux. PowerVR does not have a working Linux driver. AND ANDROID IS NOT GNU/LINUX. To run Linux distros fine, first thing Intel needs is to dump PowerVR which will take a year.
Lennovo ideapad k2110 is using that intel SoC but runs android. Owing for x86 instruction support, i guess you can run linux distros and use gnome but never seen one working in real life ( lennovo run ics 4.0)
Medfield will choke if I start to use it as a desktop replacement.
There's also a smart phone "lava xolo" that uses medfield soc and available around 20k here in india.( i guess you told me about this over phone once)
Very well aware of that.

Ideally what I'd want is an x86 tablet running Linux + GNOME 3 Shell off a very low power AMD/Intel APU. We're still 3 years away from there. When that arrives, I'll jump the ship.
Talking of Llano Mobile level performance in very low TDP. I am talking of desktop replacement tablets here. Old laptop performance in iPad's form factor.

Screw this mobile - can't copy text properly. :|

Sujeet

Undead!!!
The biggest deal - PowerVR graphics = crapfest for Linux. PowerVR does not have a working Linux driver. AND ANDROID IS NOT GNU/LINUX. To run Linux distros fine, first thing Intel needs is to dump PowerVR which will take a year.

Very well aware of that.

Talking of Llano Mobile level performance in very low TDP. I am talking of desktop replacement tablets here. Old laptop performance in iPad's form factor.

AMD Trinity is meant to be something like that only ..isnt it???TDP is though still high for a tablet.Good for Ultrabook IMO.

nishantarya98

Right off the assembly line
you have badly mistook an iPad for a laptop,
you should not expect a 'Tablet' to fit in your pocket, please go and buy an iPhone or a good android mobile
tablets certainly do not come with dvd drive
everything has to be synced nowadays, so this fact should have been known
and i accept that 16 is is less, you should have gone for a 32 gb or 64
yes, the new iPad is not really good except for the screen, so you should have gone for iPad 2, and India doesn't actually have 4G implemented right now, so it didn't really make sense choosing between iPad 2 or iPad
if you want to be a pirate and get free things for your iPad go and jailbreak :|
i have used the new iPad, and there was absolutely no problem with the touch sensitivity
typing on it is nice, have you tried to split the keyboard ?
you need a back button for what ? everything on iOS is app based, so the home button is enough, and if needed, then there is a back button in the app itself
you cannot expect any tablet to have computer like multitasking
safari is good to use, and i think they have tabbed browsing support for the iPad...
and remember, it is not a pc, you cannot run pc games like diablo
and please, now every charger is USB based -_-
there is a reason people make albums which act like folders...
you do not need a file manager as everything is stored as an app
for most of your other problems, iPad 2 was better
and really, you did not think before buying it ? read any reviews, read information or anything, most apple products are to be used under apple's limitations, if you can't live with that, sorry iDevices are not for you :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMD Trinity is meant to be something like that only ..isnt it???TDP is though still high for a tablet.Good for Ultrabook IMO.
ya, TDP needs to be cut down more.

I want this - Tablet running a proper OS. Not a mobile OS. Fast enough to run desktop apps and desktop games. In iPad's form factor. Even iPad 1's form factor would do.

Basically what the OP wants.

Sujeet

Undead!!!

Very well aware of that.

Screw this mobile - can't copy text properly. :|
According to you PowerSGX GPUs in Intel Medfield Platform cant handle GNOME whereas Intel is preping its new Dual Core Z2580 medfield chip for upcoming windows 8 Tablets.

Though Windows AeroGLASS has been removed from Windows Aero Interface as per latest Blog reports but still if Intel believes their PowerSGX based solution can handle the Whole Metro UI + Windows Aero then why cant it handle. GNOME???:confused:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to you PowerSGX GPUs in Intel Medfield Platform cant handle GNOME whereas Intel is preping its new Dual Core Z2580 medfield chip for upcoming windows 8 Tablets.
erm no no no. It doesn't have a proper (working) driver for Linux. I haven't said it can't handle - not even once. :|

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^

[Phoronix] Intel Is Planning To Drop PowerVR Graphics (after the dual core Medfield)

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Thats nice.
Intel doing it to Support Open Source Platforms.According to that link intel will focus on Better OpenGL performance in their post dual core Medfield SoCs which clearly means better Linux GFX performance and smoother GNOME.OpenGL Support=One step closer to the tablet which can prove to be a worthy desktop replacement.

Though that will happen only incase they bring Ivy Bridge type GPU solution referred to as gen7 in that article.

The primary proposal of reverting to older pre-sandy bridge GMA solution dont seems promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom