got a ipod 4th gen shuffle. Sound quality sucks.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Hi guys i just received a ipod shuffle 4th gen which i ordered for my bro from flipkart and the sound quality sucks totally. The bundled earphones are worthless. And my old nokia e63 plays better music than this. I was wondering if there was a way i could get an exchange . ??? for something better. and although the sound is pretty okay using my grado sr60 and philips shp 1900. i was wondering if there was a way i could change this for something better. anyone here who has some experience in these matters? please help :mad:

tkin

Back to school!!
If the sound quality still sucks using a SR60, then it will suck all the way, try getting a Cowon.

OP
NoasArcAngel

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
cowon e2 ?

sending an email to flipkart literally begging them to take the stuff back. God be with me

UPDATE : apparently there is someway you can get eq on the shuffle. trying that now. just to make sure only bass is activated.

apparently there is some change so i believe the eq system works and the sound i am getting now is pretty good.

Last edited:

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
use rockbox custom firmware to get more features, codecs support and as others say "better sound quality" but it will void warranty...

OP
NoasArcAngel

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
use rockbox custom firmware to get more features, codecs support and as others say "better sound quality" but it will void warranty...

rockbox is not supported for ipod shuffle .

i am overall pretty happy with the EQ though. and with the volume levels boosted the sound is pretty good now. The only concern is that this will lead to decrease in battery life.

so according to cnet it clocks in at about 18 hours. apple rates it at 15 hours. so i guess with the eq turned up it will last 15 hours.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I have only experienced iPod shuffle when it used to be rectangular. Felt it was pretty good. Maybe the newer generations have defects, or I am not a very good music judge....

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
The quality is awesome. But when you compare 'em with the new ones by Cowon, you'll feel the difference. I own Cowon iAudio E2. And I have spent considerable amount of time with iPod Nano (Latest Generation).

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
Till 3rd gen I pods were good for SQ but started degrading later on.
Some cowons may be bulky & Ugly but for sheer SQ nothing can beats them IMHO.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
If the sound quality is the prime concern go for Cowon.....nothing else can come near it. It got BBE support and plethora of settings/tweak/eq in the bundled firmware/OS.

Got myself Cowon D2+ 16GB almost 2 years ago during 'Stock clearance sell" (already back dated/obsolete then) from Cowon India (FK was not born then), and it still rocks....It got 1600mah battery (correct me) which is hard to deplete even today. I never fill the need to flash it with different firmware like Rock Box.

Before that I got 3rd Gen Ipod Nano 8 GB....which is sound okish in compare to D2+.

Cowon player may not be as good looking and suitable for flashing around friends & colleagues, but it always pleases your ear once you power them on, thats guarantee.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^no dont think it is worth it, coz you still get 80% of the functionality with a d2+ and there is no real use of the added functionality (eg: flash player is not used on the d2+ at all)
this is only audio tho, the pods are better for vids
have ipod, iphone 3gs and cowon d2+
not one song on the idevices, use saavn or shoutcast for music, all songs on d2+, the biggest advantage is that you can listen to music for like a week, and the battery does not die :) it's built like a brick, but it's a srs mp3 player
it's also, really cheap atm

Top Bottom