Google 'to make bulbs and dishwashers'!

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
LONDON: After the Internet, Google is now set to foray into the domain of household appliances - it will produce bulbs, thermostats and dishwashers, and integrate them with wireless technology, the search engine giant has said.

According to Google, the new range of "almost anything electrical" household devices would be launched by the end of this year, and wireless technology will help these devices to communicate with tablets, 'The Daily Telegraph' reported.

Announcing the new initiative, codenamed Project Tungsten, at a software developers' conference in San Francisco, Google said its aim was to let a range of devices "discover, connect and communicate" with each other.

In a series of demonstrations using its Android operating system 'Android@home', Google showed a tablet that could turn lights on and off, send music from the Internet to a hifi and even a "near-field communications" chip that simply had to be touched on speakers to start them playing an album.

Although entering the crowded "home automation" market is brave move by Google, the US-based firm highlighted 400,000 Android devices are now being activated every day.

It said that apps integrated into the home environment, such as an alarm clock application that gradually raised the lights and turned on a user's radio, were the next logical extension.

The company already offers 200,000 different apps and they have been downloaded 4.5 billion times on 100 million different devices, mostly mobile phones .

Google also announced a service allowing users to rent movies online as well as to store music they already own on the Internet.

So, won't you love to have a Google Bulb in your room? :cool:

Source: Google 'to make bulbs and dishwashers' - The Economic Times

sygeek

Technomancer
It is highly unlikely of google to take this step. Can you confirm the validity of this information?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So it was true, when I heard it like a year ago, that Google is trying to take over the WORLD! o_O

Sarath

iDota
This is the Google Home Automation system i think Android@Home. Let me search for the link:

Lighting Science demos Android @ Home bulbs, promises dead-simple home automation (hands-on) -- Engadget

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
so they have handsets (as remote controls), they have OS everywhere (Android and Chrome OS) and now this, home appliances (robots) too. Just my imagination at work! :D

abhidev

Human Spambot
It is said that these features will be available when their Ice cream sandwich is rumored to be released in Q4 2011 for mobile devices.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, Alecia, we understand what you are trying to imply. We have came to realize, that since we know, Google is going to take over the World, then it is going to take over the world!
And that's horrible isn't?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Google is also going to make driverless automatic driven cars.

They are pushing to legalise in Nevada,USA.
Testing is done already.

Sarath

iDota
Google is also going to make driverless automatic driven cars.

They are pushing to legalise in Nevada,USA.
Testing is done already.

We already have that. They are called Trains.

Driveless. What a joke. People use cars for the following reasons: they are fun, they are under their control (vs public T.) and status symbol.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
One noob question: will I be able to "search" in the dishwasher while dishwashing? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

edit: sorry couldnt resist!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ :rofl: But a good one!
I think you may be able to "Search" stains so that you can destroy them, using "Google" brand detergents! :-D

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^ We maybe rolling on the grounds laughing.. but I Really think, if Google have stepped in Comsumer market, it is sure to create some buzz... and chances of being success is also very high.
Although I also think, the reason for Google to enter such market, may relate to the news about how Facebook is likely to throw Google at their own game.. Searching!

arescool

Work is So Boring...
"It said that apps integrated into the home environment, such as an alarm clock application that gradually raised the lights and turned on a user's radio, were the next logical extension."

I badly need such an app :razz:

Top Bottom