Google Nexus owners thread

101gamzer

Ambassador of Buzz
thanks guys.

guys can someone make a list of must hv apps/games for Nexus 4 ???

MX Player
Whatsapp
Opera
BBC
AVG antivirus must has phone locator so you could find your phone when its lost.
Many others are there ATM no time to write :sly:

rider

as Kratos
thanks guys.

guys can someone make a list of must hv apps/games for Nexus 4 ???

Blackmart (best third party app store)
9GAG
AccuWeather
AirDroid
Aldiko Premium
Barcode Reader
Battery Doctor (Must have)
Battery Guru (Awesome app by snapdragon)
Chrome Beta
Camera Zoom FX
ebay
Advance Dictionary
File Manager
Evernote
Image2Wallpaper (to make wallpaper without cropping)
Keep
Makemytrip
Perfectly Clear
Pixlr Express
Poweramp (best app for music)
Shazam
Tapatalk
UC Browser
Viber
utorrent
And rest download the social networking sites that you use. :)

guru_urug

iGoogle
also guys pls suggest earphones that you are using for Nexus 4....
I recently purchased Soundmagic E10, no complaints loving the music experience :)

From where you guys are buying google products??
Some have purchased from ebay.in, some have asked relatives from US to purchase for them. You can even use international Parcel-forwarding services like hopshopgo to purchase directly from US. The nexus 7 is officially available in India now on the Play store. Nexus 4 is available in some local shops, I got mine from alfa in Mumbai.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
I recently purchased Soundmagic E10, no complaints loving the music experience :)

Some have purchased from ebay.in, some have asked relatives from US to purchase for them. You can even use international Parcel-forwarding services like hopshopgo to purchase directly from US. The nexus 7 is officially available in India now on the Play store. Nexus 4 is available in some local shops, I got mine from alfa in Mumbai.
Thanks for the info. Wt is the cost of nexus 4 when you bought it?

rider

as Kratos
The only problem with my Nexus 4 is that the battery doesn't last much in wi-fi.
If I keep using nonstop it lasts only about 6 hours. :/
Can anyone please find out which custom ROM, kernel and any other modifying stuff would be the best for boosting battery life? Till date it's pure phone out of the box.

MANOfJosh

QA Professional
The only problem with my Nexus 4 is that the battery doesn't last much in wi-fi.
Can anyone please find out which custom ROM, kernel and any other modifying stuff would be the best for boosting battery life? Till date it's pure phone out of the box.

6 hours of Screen On Time is nearly the maximum juice you can get on this phone. It's not just wi-fi that eats battery. You are having that 4.7 inch 1280x720 screen up for the same time. Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

rider

as Kratos
6 hours of Screen On Time is nearly the maximum juice you can get on this phone. It's not just wi-fi that eats battery. You are having that 4.7 inch 1280x720 screen up for the same time. Hope this is helpful. Cheers!

So how all new HTC One with 1920x1080 screen gives battery backup of 9hrs 58min in web browsing test of gsmarena?

OP
thetechfreak

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
So how all new HTC One with 1920x1080 screen gives battery backup of 9hrs 58min in web browsing test of gsmarena?

It has a somewhat beefier 2300 mah battery.
HTC have probably completely reworked the internals of Android to give a better battery life.

rider

as Kratos
It has a somewhat beefier 2300 mah battery.
HTC have probably completely reworked the internals of Android to give a better battery life.

Why google themselves don't work great for their own android? I guess upcoming android would be better optimized for battery life.

guru_urug

iGoogle
Thanks for the info. Wt is the cost of nexus 4 when you bought it?

Bought mine for 25k

Yes, I agree...the battery life is not the best. But considering that its running a big screen with a power-guzzling quad core processor, it is average I would say. You can increase battery life significantly by changing the kernel. Since most power-saving and scheduling is dictated by the kernel, it is enough to just flash a custom kernel even on stock ROM. Just root and flash franco's kernel from XDA and enjoy better battery life.

another problem with Nexus 4 is it heats up pretty fast

Yes, it heats up. But it heats up just as much as any other phone. The effect is more pronounced because of the glass back. Thermal conductivity of glass >> plastic. And this heating is seen on all phones with the S4 krait processor. Qualcomm's closed-source proprietary "MPDecision" governor is not doing a good job, as explained by faux, one of the kernel developers on XDA. Qualcomm stated that it will fix this in one of the later android revisions. Read more about it in the link below:

*github.com/bibanon/android-development-codex/wiki/N4-Performance

Flashing a custom kernel greatly reduces heat by using better governors and under-volting tweaks. Also remember that the nexus 4 internal design is such that the heat is quickly transferred to the battery which then causes the device to throttle(throttling occurs according to battery temp). Higher battery temperature means higher resistance which equates to battery draining more quickly. Still rest assured that this heating is not a nexus 4 specific issue, it is a combination of the glass back and qualcomms governor. Infact the xperia Z heats up just as much and throttles even more than the nexus 4.

Check the Youtube link below, it gives a good idea of what the relative temperatures of 5 phones running stability test: LG Nexus 4, Sony Xperia Z, Samsung Galaxy S 3, Meizu MX2, Sony Xperia T.

Ð￾агрев Nexus 4, Xperia Z, Galaxy S 3, Meizu MX2, Xperia T - YouTube

I was most interested in the comparison between the Nexus 4 and the xperia Z since they have similar specifications with same SOC and amount of RAM. Also both have glass at the back and voila, both heat up nearly the same. Infact the Xperia Z underclocks to as much as 702Mhz to maintain temperatures, while the nexus only lowers its clock rate to 1134Mhz. I have compiled below a brief synopsis of the video in an image:

Capture.JPG

As can be seen, the nexus 4 has slightly higher temperatures, but is also running at a higher clock frequency which explains the higher temperatures. The good part is that the Nexus did very well in the benchmarking aspect of this test. The scores are number of runs per core and RAM(core 1, core 2, core 3, core 4, RAM). The Nexus has more runs and hence is the best performer. I have personally run Stability test and the temperature after 15 mins was 45.8C which is good considering its summer now

Last edited:

dan4u

Took Off!!!

well you can check out franco kernel or faux123 kernel....both are good, faux has an option to reduce the lowest frequency from 384mhz to 162mhz and an option to use only 2 cores at all times. both kernel's have options to undervolt the cpu and underclock the cpu, I'm on franco right now. as far as I can tell franco gives the best battery-performance, while faux might give better battery but takes a hit on the performance, either way both are way better than the stock kernel in Wi-Fi.

Top Bottom