Google Nexus 4 Thread

rider

as Kratos
@dan4u Samsung GS3 has a quad core Mali-400 GPU not Adreno 225. It is still the best phone with warranty for 27k.

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
well its not widespread, I've been following Nexus 4 threads and honestly hardly anyone is complaining about the throttle issue. and most of the throttling threads were from November/December and there isn't a lot of discussion, but even then the issue doesn't effect normal usage. I saw the video you posted, in it she say's that there's throttling only in graphic intensive games and that too after 30 Minutes, I and I believe many other people don't intend to play graphic intensive games for more than 30 Minutes on a phone, but even after 30 Minutes NFS was totally playable.*

The throttling is mostly noticeable in benchmarks, and benchmarks don't emulate real world apps. so like I said, the so called issue doesn't effect normal usage. I'll get one in 2-3 weeks and I'll give an update on whether its a problem.

The nexus 4 handles GLBenchmark 2.5 Egypt HD better than the note 2 (its says so in the video), the Adreno 320 is nearly twice as fast as the Adreno 225(found on the SG SIII) and so I personally think that its a good thing that it throttles, it'll keep the cpu/gpu from destroying itself :wink:..............all in all its a great phone, and we'd all get one if we could , I haven't read anywhere (reviews/forums/articles) where people said not to get this phone, if only Google and LG hadn't underestimated the demand we'd see it launch in India and elsewhere earlier.

Where are you getting it from?

I agree with you that its a great phone :) No doubt about it! :) Its a bloody amazing piece of tech for $350. I was 100% inclined to get my hands on it. I would buy one too if I found a reliable way to acquire it. The adreno 320 is a much faster GPU than the one in note2, but the throttling doesnt let it reach its full potential. Which may not be an issue now, but when games get more demanding the throttling will not let the adreno 320 stretch its legs completely. Even though the adreno 320 is faster than the note 2, the note 2 does not skip frames in NFS because even though its slower, its performance is consistent. There are threads discussing throttling/overheating issue even till february.

The Optimus G which is basically the same phone as the nexus 4 also overheats but not as much as the N4 and the throttling is not that pronounced on that phone, hence it performs much better in benchmarks too. Some say that the Optimus G has an "eco mode" built in which handles the overheating much better than the stock Android in the Nexus. The xperia z which also has the same chipset and is on Jellybean is currently the benchmarking king! With an antutu score of over 20k and quadrant over 8k. Even S3 beats the nexus 4. Why is that? It because Sony have tweaked the phone design and their firmware to handle the issue. Google claims that the heating issue is because of bad assembly and that some people have got their issues resolved after replacing the defective unit. I agree benchmarks dont reflect day-to-day performance, but it can reflect gaming performance. I dont care much about benchmarks myself as long as the device performs as per my expectations, I dont mind if its not the highest benchmarker but still scoring half the score of other phone with same chipset?

All this aside, I must say most users wont notice any of the issues in normal usage. Nexus 4 has the most fluid UI than any other Android device. Its only in high end gaming/benchmarking and future titles that you will notice the effects, but even with gps and navigation with 3g and other trivial usage people have complained. Check out "Issue 40334: Nexus Overheating" below is the link:
*code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40334
People have exchanged their phones even 3 times before getting one that didnt overheat. Now in India without warranty what will we do?

No phone is perfect, the iphone 4 had antenna-gate issue, sensation had wifi-reception issues and theres no denying that the nexus 4 also has issues with overheating and aggressive throttling.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
@dan4u Samsung GS3 has a quad core Mali-400 GPU not Adreno 225. It is still the best phone with warranty for 27k.
sorry, yea the International version has the Mali-400 GPU, but the US and Japan version has Adreno 225. Adreno 225~Mali-400. I was looking at anandtech's review :wink:. even then the 320 gives nearly twice performance, at least as far as benchmarks are concerned. In real world usage you'll hardly feel the difference.

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
sorry, yea the International version has the Mali-400 GPU, but the US and Japan version has Adreno 225. Adreno 225~Mali-400. I was looking at anandtech's review :wink:. even then the 320 gives nearly twice performance, at least as far as benchmarks are concerned. In real world usage you'll hardly feel the difference.

I never said that the adreno 320 is not as good as the older Mali/Adreno in S3. Its just not reaching its full potential in the Nexus 4. The Note 2 ends up being a better gaming device than the Nexus 4.
Even in the Anandtech review, the differences between the freezer scores and the normal temp scores are huge in several cases, while the Optimus G giving almost same performance without being kept in a freezer. Also this was before the xperia z was launched.
Also the xperia Z has a full HD display which means it has more pixels to render, which should stress the GPU even more! But it glides through without much overheating and throttling. That shows the true potential of the S4 pro with adreno 320.

Did you check out "Issue 40334: Nexus Overheating" ?

Just search for the word "India" There are 6 posts by Indian users who now cannot get it replaced. Not while gaming, even while handling calls and using camera. Is that a risk worth taking? We are talking about Rs.25k without any warranty.

Last edited:

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Where are you getting it from?

I agree with you that its a great phone :) No doubt about it! :) Its a bloody amazing piece of tech for $350. I was 100% inclined to get my hands on it. I would buy one too if I found a reliable way to acquire it. The adreno 320 is a much faster GPU than the one in note2, but the throttling doesnt let it reach its full potential. Which may not be an issue now, but when games get more demanding the throttling will not let the adreno 320 stretch its legs completely. Even though the adreno 320 is faster than the note 2, the note 2 does not skip frames in NFS because even though its slower, its performance is consistent. There are threads discussing throttling/overheating issue even till february.

The Optimus G which is basically the same phone as the nexus 4 also overheats but not as much as the N4 and the throttling is not that pronounced on that phone, hence it performs much better in benchmarks too. Some say that the Optimus G has an "eco mode" built in which handles the overheating much better than the stock Android in the Nexus. The xperia z which also has the same chipset and is on Jellybean is currently the benchmarking king! With an antutu score of over 20k and quadrant over 8k. Even S3 beats the nexus 4. Why is that? It because Sony have tweaked the phone design and their firmware to handle the issue. Google claims that the heating issue is because of bad assembly and that some people have got their issues resolved after replacing the defective unit. I agree benchmarks dont reflect day-to-day performance, but it can reflect gaming performance. I dont care much about benchmarks myself as long as the device performs as per my expectations, I dont mind if its not the highest benchmarker but still scoring half the score of other phone with same chipset?

All this aside, I must say most users wont notice any of the issues in normal usage. Nexus 4 has the most fluid UI than any other Android device. Its only in high end gaming/benchmarking and future titles that you will notice the effects, but even with gps and navigation with 3g and other trivial usage people have complained. Check out "Issue 40334: Nexus Overheating" below is the link:
People have exchanged their phones even 3 times before getting one that didnt overheat. Now in India without warranty what will we do?

No phone is perfect, the iphone 4 had antenna-gate issue, sensation had wifi-reception issues and theres no denying that the nexus 4 also has issues with overheating and aggressive throttling.

I'm in Melbourne right now, will be here till next year, so ordered it through Google play store. anyways I don't intend to play Graphic intensive games on the phone, I use my pc for that :wink:, but nonetheless I'll check for the issue once I get it.

I mentioned it earlier, Google and LG vastly underestimated the demand for the Nexus 4, I have a waiting period of 2-3 weeks and its directly being shipped from the factory, none of the play store's have it in-stock. I wanted to get it from India, and I remember there was a listing on ebay a couple of months ago, for 22k, but that turned out to be bogus.

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
*chn.ge/Y5Msyx

Signed! I urge you to spread this in the forum! Many people will sign this for sure. I dont know if Google will actually be receiving this petition or read it but its worth a shot!!

I'm in Melbourne right now, will be here till next year, so ordered it through Google play store. anyways I don't intend to play Graphic intensive games on the phone, I use my pc for that :wink:, but nonetheless I'll check for the issue once I get it.

I mentioned it earlier, Google and LG vastly underestimated the demand for the Nexus 4, I have a waiting period of 2-3 weeks and its directly being shipped from the factory, none of the play store's have it in-stock. I wanted to get it from India, and I remember there was a listing on ebay a couple of months ago, for 22k, but that turned out to be bogus.

Oh, so its safe for you to buy it since you are in a country which has official Play store devices support and you can get your device replaced if needed. Congrats on your purchase. Let us know of your first impressions :)

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Oh, so its safe for you to buy it since you are in a country which has official Play store devices support and you can get your device replaced if needed. Congrats on your purchase. Let us know of your first impressions :)

yep, will do that :)....its a long wait though :twisted:

rider

as Kratos
It doesn't work, just a time pass. :D

I arranged a seller. He is selling me his imported (US playstore) Google Nexus 4 16GB in sealed condition for 26.5k. Get it or forget it? :?

tkin

Back to school!!
It doesn't work, just a time pass. :D

I arranged a seller. He is selling me his imported (US playstore) Google Nexus 4 16GB in sealed condition for 26.5k. Get it or forget it? :?
Get it, with increased duties, nexus 4 will surely cost 24-25k in future, 1.5k extra without the hassle of waiting/proxy etc is worth it.

rider

as Kratos
For those who wants Nexus 4 with a proper third party warranty (Serve Pro).
LG NEXUS 4 E960 PURE GOOGLE ANDROID 4.2 JELLY BEAN 16GB IPS TOUCH BLACK MOBILE | eBay

dan4u

Took Off!!!
For those who wants Nexus 4 with a proper third party warranty (Serve Pro).
LG NEXUS 4 E960 PURE GOOGLE ANDROID 4.2 JELLY BEAN 16GB IPS TOUCH BLACK MOBILE | eBay
Lol they put market price as Rs 59999 :facepalm:. if you want warranty this is a good option, but its nearly 10k costlier than getting from ppobox ...

Top Bottom