Google Nexus 4 Thread

tkin

Back to school!!
Snagged the L9 about right time, those guys waiting for new phones to launch in MWC are royally screwed :p :p

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
^^ Nice find :-D

But have never heard of this site.. how reliable is it? and Why does it say preorder? Does it mean that delivery will take a long time?
They seem to have a 30-day return policy too which is good.

Anyway Ive given up on the nexus 4 now, many people are reporting overheating and thermal throttling issues with it. Will wait till March 14th for S4 launch to ruffle a few feathers. Will wait for my perfect one(phone) :wink:

dan4u

Took Off!!!

But have never heard of this site.. how reliable is it? and Why does it say preorder? Does it mean that delivery will take a long time?

Anyway Ive given up on the nexus 4 now, many people are reporting overheating and thermal throttling issues with it. Will wait till March 14th for S4 launch to ruffle a few feathers. Will wait for my perfect one(phone) :wink:

could you give any source for that?

rider

as Kratos

there are hundreds of these unpopular and fishy sites claim money back and good price tag. Take money from the buyer by saying pre-order and cheat them by delivering very late.
P.S. Sorry but your avatar is annoying. Please change it.

rider

as Kratos

Every phone gets heat-up in intense use like a laptop. The phone has glass panel so it gets heats in playing high end games for a long time. Every phone has pros and cons. But for the price of Nexus 4 everything is perfect.

Last edited:

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Every phone gets heats up in intense use like a laptop. The phone has glass panel so it gets heats in playing high end games for a long time.

yep that I agree with, its not a problem with the Nexus 4. just Google, "Galaxy S III heating problem" or "HTC One X heating problem" etc you're bound to find a couple of articles/forums discussing about it.....just because some are facing issues doesn't mean everyone has it, right? :wink:

vipul619

whodiswhodat
Exactly!
And I haven't come across any fake sites yet, so not really sure about that!
But even saholic pushed back their date so a pre-order with amount that too after a 5% hike in mobile does seem fishy :/

Also, regarding the innocent squirtle.. :p

*assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/DealWithIt/_Deal_with_it_dog.gif

vipul619

whodiswhodat
Guys,
Google "Shopyourworld"
The first page says it all, epic fraud website!
Sorry for the false excitement, lets get back to discussing XS vs Grand vs S2 in that price range.. :p

rider

as Kratos
Guys,
Google "Shopyourworld"
The first page says it all, epic fraud website!
Sorry for the false excitement, lets get back to discussing XS vs Grand vs S2 in that price range.. :p

God gave me a super power to know what is fishy. :p

Honestly I didn't know about this site, never googled and never read any its bad review but I assumed exactly right. :D

*date-masters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Success-Kid-Pumps-Himself-Up.jpg

vipul619

whodiswhodat
God gave me a super power to know what is fishy. :p

Honestly I didn't know about this site, never googled and never read any its bad review but I assumed exactly right. :D

*date-masters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Success-Kid-Pumps-Himself-Up.jpg

My friend is taking me out for a sundae at gianis coz I saved his money xD
Virtual Ice cream for all here :p

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle

Every phone gets heat-up in intense use like a laptop. The phone has glass panel so it gets heats in playing high end games for a long time. Every phone has pros and cons. But for the price of Nexus 4 everything is perfect.

No, its much more than normal heating. I agree that all electronics (Phones,Laptops,etc) heat up and any phone in the market will get hot/warm when used for a long time. But the case is rather bad for the nexus 4, it throttles(lowers its cpu clock and Gpu clock) significantly. The case is so bad that it heats upto 60 deg Cel under constant load(no other tested smartphone reached that high, read video description) and actually shuts off.
Here is the video:
A: Google Nexus 4 overheating and shutting down during full load - S4 Pro not so power efficient? - YouTube

Now one may argue that no one is gonna keep the mobile stressed so much that it will heat so much and shut down. So here is a normal gaming/benchmarking scenario in which GPU throttling causes skipped frames.
B: *www.youtube.com/watch?v=abf7nPiUUE8
C: Nexus 4 Thermal Throttling Test - YouTube

I agree that for the price the nexus 4 is still perfect value for money, but here we are paying much more than the actual Play Store cost and that too without warranty.
I don't mind the heating that much but it starts to affect performance in games and lowers the battery backup significantly which is an issue

yep that I agree with, its not a problem with the Nexus 4. just Google, "Galaxy S III heating problem" or "HTC One X heating problem" etc you're bound to find a couple of articles/forums discussing about it.....just because some are facing issues doesn't mean everyone has it, right? :wink:

I think you should Google "Nexus 4 throttling" or "Nexus 4 overheating". There are more than just a couple of articles, forums discussing it. And that too forums like XDA, on Nexus 4 page itself you will find atleast 10 threads. There are official complaints from thousands of users on Google's official bug report page for Nexus 4. And Anandtech, one of the most reputed tech sites has done in depth analysis of this issue. Also youtube videos show real world proof of that issue existing.
There are actually mods on the XDA page in which people have opened their N4 back panel and performed detailed analysis and tried applying thermal paste :shock: and actual copper piece to spread the heat. See below:
Nexus 4; Investigating thermal throttling [HardMod] - xda-developers
I will post more links if needed.

Like I said I still love this phone and would own it in a heartbeat if given at a reasonable price and with warranty (since many people are returning their overheating phones for exchange). I was not kidding when I said that I have read many articles and threads on Nexus 4, since this purchase meant a lot to me. Most reviews don't show this problem since only people who have owned and used the device for a few days start to notice this issue, even with simple web browsing. For hardcore gaming this phone is not the best, since within minutes it starts to throttle its GPU and it affects frame-rate (Video B). Also most users are in much cooler climate countries than India. Here it would be worse.
Only solutions are:
1) Tinker with the throttle limits(after rooting) by editing a config file and risk harming the phone. No warranty or return policy for us.
2) Root, install custom kernel and a few "Snapdragon" mods to undervolt the CPU and underclock the GPU. Even disable 2 cores! But that kinda beats the purpose of owning a high end S4 quad phone, doesnt it? I was not planning to mod my nexus 4 so much( I dont mind plain rooting though) since that was the point of owning a nexus device that I get to use it the pure way Google intended and that it should work flawlessly.

Guys I'm not trying to start a flame war here.. Just trying to summarize what I have read. Cheers :-D

Last edited:

dan4u

Took Off!!!
No, its much more than normal heating. I agree that all electronics (Phones,Laptops,etc) heat up and any phone in the market will get hot/warm when used for a long time. But the case is rather bad for the nexus 4, it throttles(lowers its cpu clock and Gpu clock) significantly. The case is so bad that it heats upto 60 deg Cel under constant load(no other tested smartphone reached that high, read video description) and actually shuts off.
Here is the video:
A: Google Nexus 4 overheating and shutting down during full load - S4 Pro not so power efficient? - YouTube

Now one may argue that no one is gonna keep the mobile stressed so much that it will heat so much and shut down. So here is a normal gaming/benchmarking scenario in which GPU throttling causes skipped frames.
B: *www.youtube.com/watch?v=abf7nPiUUE8
C: Nexus 4 Thermal Throttling Test - YouTube

I agree that for the price the nexus 4 is still perfect value for money, but here we are paying much more than the actual Play Store cost and that too without warranty.
I don't mind the heating that much but it starts to affect performance in games and lowers the battery backup significantly which is an issue

I think you should Google "Nexus 4 throttling" or "Nexus 4 overheating". There are more than just a couple of articles, forums discussing it. And that too forums like XDA, on Nexus 4 page itself you will find atleast 10 threads. There are official complaints from thousands of users on Google's official bug report page for Nexus 4. And Anandtech, one of the most reputed tech sites has done in depth analysis of this issue. Also youtube videos show real world proof of that issue existing.
There are actually mods on the XDA page in which people have opened their N4 back panel and performed detailed analysis and tried applying thermal paste :shock: and actual copper piece to spread the heat. See below:
Nexus 4; Investigating thermal throttling [HardMod] - xda-developers
I will post more links if needed.

Like I said I still love this phone and would own it in a heartbeat if given at a reasonable price and with warranty (since many people are returning their overheating phones for exchange). I was not kidding when I said that I have read many articles and threads on Nexus 4, since this purchase meant a lot to me. Most reviews don't show this problem since only people who have owned and used the device for a few days start to notice this issue, even with simple web browsing. For hardcore gaming this phone is not the best, since within minutes it starts to throttle its GPU and it affects frame-rate (Video B). Also most users are in much cooler climate countries than India. Here it would be worse.
Only solutions are:
1) Tinker with the throttle limits(after rooting) by editing a config file and risk harming the phone. No warranty or return policy for us.
2) Root, install custom kernel and a few "Snapdragon" mods to undervolt the CPU and underclock the GPU. Even disable 2 cores! But that kinda beats the purpose of owning a high end S4 quad phone, doesnt it? I was not planning to mod my nexus 4 so much( I dont mind plain rooting though) since that was the point of owning a nexus device that I get to use it the pure way Google intended and that it should work flawlessly.

Guys I'm not trying to start a flame war here.. Just trying to summarize what I have read. Cheers :-D

well its not widespread, I've been following Nexus 4 threads and honestly hardly anyone is complaining about the throttle issue. and most of the throttling threads were from November/December and there isn't a lot of discussion, but even then the issue doesn't effect normal usage. I saw the video you posted, in it she say's that there's throttling only in graphic intensive games and that too after 30 Minutes, I and I believe many other people don't intend to play graphic intensive games for more than 30 Minutes on a phone, but even after 30 Minutes NFS was totally playable.*

The throttling is mostly noticeable in benchmarks, and benchmarks don't emulate real world apps. so like I said, the so called issue doesn't effect normal usage. I'll get one in 2-3 weeks and I'll give an update on whether its a problem.

The nexus 4 handles GLBenchmark 2.5 Egypt HD better than the note 2 (its says so in the video), the Adreno 320 is nearly twice as fast as the Adreno 225(found on the SG SIII) and so I personally think that its a good thing that it throttles, it'll keep the cpu/gpu from destroying itself :wink:..............all in all its a great phone, and we'd all get one if we could , I haven't read anywhere (reviews/forums/articles) where people said not to get this phone, if only Google and LG hadn't underestimated the demand we'd see it launch in India and elsewhere earlier.

Top Bottom