Good PC PSUs under Rs.2500.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Look, the difference among the Silver, old and bronze is little bit different, its not only about the amount of power they can deliver and the build quality or warranty they provide. It is mainly based on efficiency that how often they can deliver performance over their rated efficiency in different load conditions.

The Bronze series of PSUs can mainly provide efficiency over their rated efficiency only when system load is higher side. In idle or normal load conditions their efficiency is just the rated one or may be slightly lower.

in case of Gold or Silver PSUs, in load conditions they provide far better efficiency than their rated one...a 80+ can provide almost 92-96% efficiency in load time for Silver rated PSUs. But also in idle or minimal load conditions their efficiency is also higher than the rated one...like 86% for a 80% PSU, even in the idle conditions.
But in Load conditions almost all the good PSus provide better efficiency than their rated value.
For more information check the Toms Hardware PSU raound up sections. You will get a better idea.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
PSUs are rated at (and are most efficient at) 50% load.
A Gold PSU (90%) can fall down to 80% or even lower efficiency at idle or full load.

Cilus

laborare est orare
That's what make them Gold or silver....the amount of efficiency they can provide at idle conditions. A gold PSU can fall but in case of best of lot, they still provide dloghtly better efficiency that their rated value even at 50% load. There are some weird scenario also. For example Coller Master Silent Pro provide almost 87% efficiency at 50% load, 85.3% @ 20% load, but surprisingly only 85% @ 100% load.

*media.bestofmicro.com/J/H/162701/original/chart_coolermaster_silentpro500.png

Silverston SST-ST70F is another example of good efficiency in lower power consumption situation

*media.bestofmicro.com/J/P/162709/original/chart_silverstone_sst-st70f.png

Last edited:
OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
My friend wants to buy a PSU for his PC. He wants atleast a 500w. He doesnt have a graphx crd now but will add a 9500gt or Radeon 4650 or 4670 later. He wants a PSU but under Rs.1200. He wants to get a Intex, Frontech, IBall or Zebronics 500w one. These are readily available here in BBSR around Rs. 800. Are these good PSUs. Should he go for these brands.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Bronze means 80-85%
Silver means 85-90%
Gold means 90-100%

The 80 Plus Gold standard requires 90% efficiency at 50% of rated load, and 87% efficiency at both 20% load and full rated load.

My friend wants to buy a PSU for his PC. He wants atleast a 500w. He doesnt have a graphx crd now but will add a 9500gt or Radeon 4650 or 4670 later. He wants a PSU but under Rs.1200. He wants to get a Intex, Frontech, IBall or Zebronics 500w one. These are readily available here in BBSR around Rs. 800. Are these good PSUs. Should he go for these brands.
No these brands are bad.
Go for FSP SagaII 500W for Rs 2000.

And don't buy any of those graphic cards.

EDIT: You are the OP. Read the thread.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
He wants to get a Intex, Frontech, IBall or Zebronics 500w one. These are readily available here in BBSR around Rs. 800. Are these good PSUs. Should he go for these brands.
Definitely no. He's actually risking the life of his machine if he goes for an El Cheapo PSU.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Corsair ax 1200 is a fine example of gold rated psu. There is also a platinum rating and the ax 1200 just fell short of a platinum rating in the reviews i had read. The efficiency at load were above 95% of the rating consistently. Its a terrific psu and its oem is flextronics. Check its review HERE.

@ Saswat23

Order online. Don't buy intex, frontech or zebronics psu's from bbsr. Order online from kolkata. Check deltapage and techshop.in

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
i just received the wrong Motherboard from Bitfang.com
Informed them and they are working on it now.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ saswat23

fsp saga II 350 IS GOOD AT 1.5K. Try that. Its an overkill for 9500gt but will handle future upgrades.

Top Bottom