Good Old Indian Television!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^worldwide, the trend is an increase viewer ship for bouquet channels (discovery, nat geo, travel and living types). Basically , niche infotainment.

solution is simple. Don't get cable or DTH. DD is the only channel available.
It feels like time travel, there is no choice to change.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
hehe. yes. i dropped off those bouquet-channels long back (only used to watch 'ndtv good times' among them), reduced the no. of news channels, and have kept only movie-channels for personal viewing. rest are whatever come with the pkg, unnecessary baggage.
though because of internet, even having just DD and 1-2 of its offsprings should suffice. :rolleyes:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think DD needs to be on par with BBC. But mostly because of lower budget, that is not so.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Here is a more in depth article regarding why India cannot have something like BBC.

Why India can?t have its BBC - Economic Times

Why can't Doordarshan's programmes improve in quality? The answer lies partly in the inability of Prasar Bharati to infuse fresh blood and update practices, as no new blood has entered the body in the last 20 years. Most employees have not even received a single promotion in even longer periods: thus morale, motivation, imagination and skills are at their lowest ebb....
The Pitroda Committee made an analysis of the percentage of total spending that is for building good 'content'. It found that while Japan's broadcaster spends 75% and BBC 71%, Prasar Bharati is able to spend just 13% on content. So, quality is obviously at stake. This committee also discovered that while India's broadcaster earns about 40% of its revenues from commercial sources, BBC's equivalent figure is just 20%.

Last edited:

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Mr. Pramod Mathur, the maker of the famous DD show 'aisa bhi ho sakta hai', had told that he had plans to revive/continue the show, and even plans to bring in novel concepts for new shows i think, but he had to forego all of them as DD simply didn't seem interested, and due to the prevailing corruption.

Perhaps we could create a petition, citing the link above, and ask the Govt. to look into the matter, and help infuse a new life and vigour into this ailing elephant, and either bring back those superb shows from the annals of history, or/and give chance and space to talent in the industry to create similar shows, a league apart from what other channels have been dishing out. when the viewership of DD would increase, other channels might be forced to rethink, and we may then see a change in the overall scenario for good!

But, being too optimistic perhaps! :|

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
There was a cop show in DD-1 during the 80's which i believe was one of the first cop shows in indian television, if not the first. Does anyone know or remember the name? I keep trying to remember the name without success!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There was a cop show in DD-1 during the 80's which i believe was one of the first cop shows in indian television, if not the first. Does anyone know or remember the name? I keep trying to remember the name without success!

Raja Rancho? :D

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
you may be writing about Udaan. it was a famous show, but then, which show of those times was/is not famous! :rolleyes:

RBX

In the zone
Yug probably used to be among my favorites, I have only faint memories of it, and the only character I can remember from it is Inspector Hamilton.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
you may be writing about Udaan. it was a famous show, but then, which show of those times was/is not famous! :rolleyes:

I remember Udaan. But that was not it. Udaan was about a lady cop, this was more like a cop show ( NYPD blue --like). It ran along with nukad. One of the lead cop always used to wear a ray ban glass!.That much i remember.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Suddenly I remembered Raja Rancho.. googled and watched the very first episode of Raja Rancho. Then I watched Episode 16 of Raja Rancho since the detective in it was more familiar (maybe cast changed after few episodes). Still a great show than the sh!t going on today on cable.

Then I ended up watching first two episodes of Shaktimaan. :p Damn, the starting of Shaktimaan, with the Universe and him getting all the elements of Fire, Air, Water, Earth and Sky felt nicely done. Such graphics decades ago!

#Nostalgia

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
I remember Udaan. But that was not it. Udaan was about a lady cop, this was more like a cop show ( NYPD blue --like). It ran along with nukad. One of the lead cop always used to wear a ray ban glass!.That much i remember.

now i also seem to be getting a very faint recollection of such a show. check in this link if you can identify the name. since it ran alongside 'nukkad', it must've been aired in 1986-87. was it 'police file se'? or 'super six'?

- - - Updated - - -

some other shows:

Didi's comedy show
zamaana badal gaya

remember only the name of 'yug', not the content.

Last edited:
OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
now i also seem to be getting a very faint recollection of such a show. check in this link if you can identify the name. since it ran alongside 'nukkad', it must've been aired in 1986-87. was it 'police file se'? or 'super six'?

Thanks! It was police file se.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
One of the best Ad's that was shown in indian television !. There are people who still remember it.(Sorry for the quality !).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom