Good Old Indian Television!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
^nice one :)
i was born in 88 ,so i have very less memmory.When did you get your tv in 80s ?
we bought solidaire tv 1989 :lol:

quan chi

mortal kombat
Super human samurai syber squad

Yep it was awesome.:D

& almost all the titles I wanted to say are already posted. Yes its true those days we had some good variety of serials. Though its not Indian but I loved watching & reading this too Goosebumps (TV Series 1995?1998) - IMDb

*img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110412050850/goosebumps/images/2/27/Goosebumps-logo.gif

Last edited:

RBX

In the zone
There used to be a show called Peecha Karo with Jatin Kanakia as lead. I don't remember it much, but I think it used to be among my favorites.

Other than that, a show called Kohinoor used to air in 2005, it holds a high rank in my favorites list.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
^nice one :)
i was born in 88 ,so i have very less memmory.When did you get your tv in 80s ?
we bought solidaire tv 1989 :lol:

don't remember exactly, but sometime between 85-87 is my guess; or may have had prior that.

EDIT: it was before/around Asia '82 that our first TV was got! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yep it was awesome.:D

& almost all the titles I wanted to say are already posted. Yes its true those days we had some good variety of serials. Though its not Indian but I loved watching & reading this too Goosebumps (TV Series 1995?1998) - IMDb

*img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110412050850/goosebumps/images/2/27/Goosebumps-logo.gif

haven't watched the show, but i had 2-3 books of it, gifted to me by my uncle who had got them from london from a trip.

- - - Updated - - -

There used to be a show called Peecha Karo with Jatin Kanakia as lead. I don't remember it much, but I think it used to be among my favorites.

Other than that, a show called Kohinoor used to air in 2005, it holds a high rank in my favorites list.

as soon as i read 'Peechha karo', the title-track started playing in my head! :D
didn't know about Kohinoor.

- - - Updated - - -

does anyone remember the 'lotpot' series, the comics-series adapted to TV show?

apart from the shows, the ads of those times too are of vintage-value!

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I can never Captain Vyom... yes you already mentioned it GhorMaanas, thanks. :D

But I can't even find the intro song to Captain Vyom on Youtube. :'(

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
I can never Captain Vyom... yes you already mentioned it GhorMaanas, thanks. :D

But I can't even find the intro song to Captain Vyom on Youtube. :'(

yes, only a fan-made remake; albeit the original song could be found, in my mind. its playing right now! :grin:

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone remember a show called Qile Ka rahasya ?

i do, i do! :number1:
though only the title...don't recall the content. but, but, wasn't that the name of an episode of Byomkesh Bakshi?! i have an episode by that name.

- - - Updated - - -

had any of you watched this?

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=IGD-WrRBV9M[/YOUTUBE]

i had missed it! found about its existence some months back by chance on YT. it seems to be so bad, that it would be a crime not to watch it! hence i implore all ye oldies to give it a view, and drive the gloom out from your lives for a few minutes! :D

P.S. 1 - the title-track is of 'Gupt'! :rofl:

P.S. 2 - i had spotted this 'Nagraj' at Alfa, Andheri some months back, who had come there to shop with his family. seemed in a hurry to pay and leave.

RBX

In the zone
^ This show was ahead of its time. Excellent production quality, storyline, and music. Yet, in all these years this 45 seconds long title song is all I've found. The show ended abruptly, and was never telecasted again, and Sahara One hasn't uploaded it anywhere. I guess someone else holds the rights.

RBX

In the zone
I have no idea who the owner is, but if that information is available somewhere, rest assured that multitude of people would have done that already because I've seen many people saying that they've written to Sahara One asking them to bring back the show.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
There is a Petition request to bring back Captain Vyom.. please sign everyone...
*www.change.org/p/maya-digital-studio-release-captain-vyom-on-dvd-or-internet

And a Quora thread:
*www.quora.com/Where-can-you-watch-Captain-Vyom-episodes

Also found a Reddit thread, though I can't seem to add a reply there:
Where can I find Captain Vyom? : india

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, a complete list of all programs of Doordarshan:
List of Old Doordarshan TV shows and Serials ? AbhiSays.com

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Some of my favorites:

Flopshow
Phatichar
Karamchand
Mungerilal Ke Haseen Sapne
Meri Awaaz Suno
Didi's Comedy Show
Secrets Of the Sea

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
I have no idea who the owner is, but if that information is available somewhere, rest assured that multitude of people would have done that already because I've seen many people saying that they've written to Sahara One asking them to bring back the show.

hmm. i guess then it would've no effect now. Sahara is itself in duress.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a Petition request to bring back Captain Vyom.. please sign everyone...
*www.change.org/p/maya-digital-studio-release-captain-vyom-on-dvd-or-internet

And a Quora thread:
*www.quora.com/Where-can-you-watch-Captain-Vyom-episodes

Also found a Reddit thread, though I can't seem to add a reply there:
Where can I find Captain Vyom? : india

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, a complete list of all programs of Doordarshan:
List of Old Doordarshan TV shows and Serials ? AbhiSays.com

thanks for the links!

- - - Updated - - -

Some of my favorites:

Flopshow
Phatichar
Karamchand
Mungerilal Ke Haseen Sapne
Meri Awaaz Suno
Didi's Comedy Show
Secrets Of the Sea

didn't know about 3 out of the 7 shows listed (the last 3). BTW, saw Mungerilal's episodes on YT y'day.

- - - Updated - - -

apart from the shows, don't forget about the ads too. YT has a good collection of them; one is even of 2 hrs, a good collection! when you search for those, you would also come across episodes of some old shows on the right pane there.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
It's funny that even if you go category wise, there is nothing to beat DD1 of old days!. I mean do you have any thing playing now to beat the old Ramayana or Mahabharath? (Don't even think of the new mahabharat on Star. It's a joke!). Or cultural program like Surabhi or one of the first musical reality shows Meri Awaaz Suno. I mean how is that with N number of channels with higher budget or more people in TV industry they can't come up something worthwhile that will be remembered after couple of years?. Only satyameva Jayate seems to be an exception.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
as time will progress, quantity & mediocrity will follow.
now there's so much bombardment of info & overstimulation of senses from all sides, that the scenario's becoming increasingly repulsive & sickening, to probably the point of rendering the mind numb at times!

RBX

In the zone
It's funny that even if you go category wise, there is nothing to beat DD1 of old days!. I mean do you have any thing playing now to beat the old Ramayana or Mahabharath? (Don't even think of the new mahabharat on Star. It's a joke!). Or cultural program like Surabhi or one of the first musical reality shows Meri Awaaz Suno. I mean how is that with N number of channels with higher budget or more people in TV industry they can't come up something worthwhile that will be remembered after couple of years?. Only satyameva Jayate seems to be an exception.

You should try 'Devon Ke Dev...Mahadev'. They've done a really good job.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
as time will progress, quantity & mediocrity will follow.
now there's so much bombardment of info & overstimulation of senses from all sides, that the scenario's becoming increasingly repulsive & sickening, to probably the point of rendering the mind numb at times!

Well then it should be universal then right? which is not the case. You can take any number of tv series in U.S which are far good even now, say like True Detective or Breaking Bad and many others

- - - Updated - - -

You should try 'Devon Ke Dev...Mahadev'. They've done a really good job.

It's a good show. I agree.!

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Well then it should be universal then right? which is not the case. You can take any number of tv series in U.S which are far good even now, say like True Detective or Breaking Bad and many others

yes, but even there, mediocrity has flooded in. they may have their good shows (even we have some good contemporary shows, though far less), but even there, the number of bad shows seems to have increased terribly. i don't watch the English TV shows (have only had glimpses of some), but i suppose most of the bad ones there are invariably from that one voluminous box, which is also one more gift from Amerikah to the world - 'Reality TV' (supremely stupid shows like jershey shore, catching up with the kardashians, etc., etc.). this genre can alone account for the degrade in TV-entertainment there, while the rest, likes the ones you have mentioned, form the section of shows there that are still good.

same (or perhaps worse) is the case in south america (particularly, brasil; they've been taking inspiration from their northern neighbours as well as from the daily soaps from here too; double whammy!).
compared to the shows in the 80s and 90s, which felt to be providing a 'novelty' factor to the audiences, these ones look outright bland & chaotic (i think there was one documentary too, on what was entertainment like in the retro-times/80s)!
when quantity increases, the competition gets fiercer, and more often than not, the USP of 'uniqueness' commits Harakiri by jumping out of the window as a consequence. here, we try to ape the west in many ways, and create a mess when adapting the TV show themes from the west (mostly the reality tv).

i would've personally liked for the TV to have just a few shows, and provide unchaotic doses of entertainment, instead of bombarding the viewers with batteries of them. but can't help. 'consume & consume on' is the order of the day, the resultant being what we are seeing (and lamenting!).

in the info & entertainment category, more than TV shows though, i follow documentaries and music, and in these, there's undoubtedly been a steady decline world-over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom