Good news for Intel G965 Users who use integrated graphics

mmick

Broken In
Drivers are very cool but one of the ways to increase graphics speed always was overclocking since early days of 3D boards. I got up to 50% speed increase OC both GPU & MEM.

On my GM965 (X3100) + C2D T7100 I don´t know how to overclock it and even a chipset can be OC aswell as the C2D. It doesn´t matter if it´s 5, 10 or 15%...it´s a speed increase and may well make the difference between unplayable and playable.

So...does anyone knows any way to overclock most C2D + RAM + GM965? Every single OC is good as:
- GM965 uses lots of CPU aswell
- GM965 OC also processes faster
- if RAM is faster it can feed both CPU and GPU faster
- if the bus is faster, everything benefits

DavidC1

Broken In
- GM965 uses lots of CPU aswell
- GM965 OC also processes faster
- if RAM is faster it can feed both CPU and GPU faster
- if the bus is faster, everything benefits

Hmm, there probably is a way to overclock, but I doubt it'll be easy.

GM965 only uses a lot of CPU when doing software rendering, more recent games will benefit a lot from hardware rendering so CPU will barely help here. The RAM and GPU overclocking will benefit the most. The IGP can access the RAM without having to go through the FSB so bus overclocking won't help that much either.

DavidC1

Broken In
IGP do not have channels of their own. They depend on the bus/mem speed
You are misunderstanding things here. Look at my simple drawing.

*img134.imageshack.us/img134/2493/basicor2.th.png

Older generation IGPs needed to go through FSB in order to access the memory. It no longer does.
Why do you think Intel has a 8.4GB/s(1066MHz 64-bit) bus but using 12.8GB/s(Dual Channel DDR2-800) memory??

That's because the IGP can DIRECTLY access the memory by bypassing the FSB. Intel has a name for it, called Direct Memory Access or DMA. DMA has been existing for quite a long time now.

So FSB ONLY benefits the CPU. Because its not sharing FSB bandwidth but sharing memory bandwidth. Excess memory bandwidth is used by the IGP and IGP only.

Last edited:

mmick

Broken In
Why do you think Intel has a 8.4GB/s(1066MHz 64-bit) bus but using 12.8GB/s(Dual Channel DDR2-800) memory??

That's because the IGP can DIRECTLY access the memory by bypassing the FSB.

So FSB ONLY benefits the CPU. Because its not sharing FSB bandwidth but sharing memory bandwidth. Excess memory bandwidth is used by the IGP and IGP only.

That is unreal:

- RAM work at 667MHz @ 64-bit máx (if I´m not mistaken) in laptops
- C2D bus work at 667/800MHz also which should be enough to flood the RAM with data
- Though FSB is not for the IGP, generally RAM frequency (and CPU) is set according to the FSB or PCI on most OC programs for laptop. Even if IGP uses a separate channel or scheme it depends on how fast RAM works! GPUs need hugh amounts of data between GPU <-> MEM and if the CPU is taking a lot of part of the physical data channels of the RAM, even if a second path is completely free, RAM cannot handle more than it´s dual channel 667MHz @ 64-bit (laptops).

Low-end graphics have generally dedicated RAM 600-800MHz @64-bit just for the GPU.

In the end it all depends on RAM speed (to feed the CPU + IGP) and CPU itself to handle some of the software rendering/code.

Down to the business: any software???

CircusFreak

Right off the assembly line
OK , now i'm pissed , you guys showed me that i could play Gears of war on low
so now i have the game and when i play its laggy and i get REALLY bad graphics , i cant even make a room out of al the f*cked up graphics , please help whats wrong with my pc?
i have Vista and the video card driver is 15.8.2

DavidC1

Broken In
That is unreal:

- RAM work at 667MHz @ 64-bit máx (if I´m not mistaken) in laptops
- C2D bus work at 667/800MHz also which should be enough to flood the RAM with data
- Though FSB is not for the IGP, generally RAM frequency (and CPU) is set according to the FSB or PCI on most OC programs for laptop. Even if IGP uses a separate channel or scheme it depends on how fast RAM works! GPUs need hugh amounts of data between GPU <-> MEM and if the CPU is taking a lot of part of the physical data channels of the RAM, even if a second path is completely free, RAM cannot handle more than it´s dual channel 667MHz @ 64-bit (laptops).

1. In laptops, RAM works at 667MHz Dual Channel, which is 128-bit, or nearly double the 800MHz 64-bit FSB, unless your manufacturer is cheap and puts single channel. And, due to DMA, IGP is sharing the 667MHz 128-bit connection not the 800MHz 64-bit connection called FSB. You OC FSB only CPU part of the performance will matter. Go try it. X3000 gets 10% increase by having 20% faster memory. See what 20% increase in FSB overclocking(keeping CPU/IGP/RAM at same clock) will do for your 3D performance.

Ok look, FSB alone doesn't matter for IGP. Whether your hardware will stand having everything overclocked(CPU/memory/IGP/MCH) is dependent on the quality of your hardware.

Having only FSB overclocked will only benefit your CPU. You might get negligible performance increases like 1%, but nothing like if you only overclocked your RAM. Having a faster FSB just means that the path from CPU to MCH has gone greater, but the IGP is still getting the same bandwidth due to having same non overclocked memory through DMA interface.

The CPU is likely under-utilizing the FSB running games since its only doing non-bandwidth intensive operations like integer operations(AI/talking to driver/physics), and rest of the bandwidth is likely used up by the IGP.
By CircusFreak
i have Vista and the video card driver is 15.8.2

The newer drivers have image quality problems in UT3 based games. Run on older ones like 15.7 and you won't have image quality problems. For performance, don't really expect your hardware to do better than this.

Last edited:
I

ika.dips

Is gaming ur only passion…??? Wanna be a millionaire…??? It’s the latest revolution in the gaming world… n its called vixture

CircusFreak

1. In laptops, RAM works at 667MHz Dual Channel, which is 128-bit, or nearly double the 800MHz 64-bit FSB, unless your manufacturer is cheap and puts single channel. And, due to DMA, IGP is sharing the 667MHz 128-bit connection not the 800MHz 64-bit connection called FSB. You OC FSB only CPU part of the performance will matter. Go try it. X3000 gets 10% increase by having 20% faster memory. See what 20% increase in FSB overclocking(keeping CPU/IGP/RAM at same clock) will do for your 3D performance.

Ok look, FSB alone doesn't matter for IGP. Whether your hardware will stand having everything overclocked(CPU/memory/IGP/MCH) is dependent on the quality of your hardware.

Having only FSB overclocked will only benefit your CPU. You might get negligible performance increases like 1%, but nothing like if you only overclocked your RAM. Having a faster FSB just means that the path from CPU to MCH has gone greater, but the IGP is still getting the same bandwidth due to having same non overclocked memory through DMA interface.

The CPU is likely under-utilizing the FSB running games since its only doing non-bandwidth intensive operations like integer operations(AI/talking to driver/physics), and rest of the bandwidth is likely used up by the IGP.

The newer drivers have image quality problems in UT3 based games. Run on older ones like 15.7 and you won't have image quality problems. For performance, don't really expect your hardware to do better than this.

So this will acually let me be able to play it??? because its not that i have a little image problem like a little disfigure...its really that i cant see anything..
its just some gray squares and everything...so older driver will fix this?

Last edited:

CircusFreak

is it possible to replace the video card i have now with another one , even with the fact that i'm using a laptop?

DavidC1

Broken In
So this will acually let me be able to play it??? because its not that i have a little image problem like a little disfigure...its really that i cant see anything..
its just some gray squares and everything...so older driver will fix this?

Yes, I know because I have tried the latest XP driver which had the same problem. I think some base code is shared with XP and Vista.

GameAddict

In the zone
Can anybody tell me how well Painkiller and its expansions (BOOH and Overdose) work on G965, 2 gigs of RAM and C2Duo 2 GHz?

GA

I Think Either He is a lier or Either he wrote this at 2 in night!
Cause damn man if my brother cant play Crysis with 6600GT 128MB GPU on low than how can you play it with an integrated one? See integrated Graphics Card take your system's memory and use it as their own frame buffer and at last give you some bad performance! It cant be true man!

CircusFreak

Yes, I know because I have tried the latest XP driver which had the same problem. I think some base code is shared with XP and Vista.

i have just installed the 15.7 driver version and still i get really bad to almost NO graphics on Gears of War is doesnt change a thing..there's just REALLY BAD texture..
pls help man i'm all out of ideas on how to fix it

would it be possible to put another video card in my laptop ?together with my integrated one??

Last edited:
OP
yesh1683

yesh1683

In the zone
Can anybody tell me how well Painkiller and its expansions (BOOH and Overdose) work on G965, 2 gigs of RAM and C2Duo 2 GHz?

GA

Painkiller & BOOH plays very well everything set to high at 1024x768 no graphical errors

But overdose has some minor graphical error it would show only half gun and also some objects are shown in white colour but still playable i played that wen it was released and with old drivers (havent tested with new Drivers)

I Think Either He is a lier or Either he wrote this at 2 in night!
Cause damn man if my brother cant play Crysis with 6600GT 128MB GPU on low than how can you play it with an integrated one? See integrated Graphics Card take your system's memory and use it as their own frame buffer and at last give you some bad performance! It cant be true man!

My friend has played crysis on 6600 non GT and completed the game
he played at 800 with low settings
even nvidia 6150 onboard plays crysis with low settings but at low FPS

on x3000 it plays around 10 FPS at low settings the screenshots are posted in 11th page

Last edited:

DavidC1

Broken In
i have just installed the 15.7 driver version and still i get really bad to almost NO graphics on Gears of War is doesnt change a thing..there's just REALLY BAD texture..
Hmm, try uninstalling the driver then reinstalling the driver.

DX10 Intel driver is out!!

*downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_re...32-bit+version&lang=eng&strOSs=156&submit=Go!

OP
yesh1683

yesh1683

In the zone
Hmm, try uninstalling the driver then reinstalling the driver.

DX10 Intel driver is out!!

*downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_re...32-bit+version&lang=eng&strOSs=156&submit=Go!

Thank david for the link
Updated first page with new links

Now Guitar Hero 3* game is playable according to release notes haven't tested though

GameAddict

In the zone
Painkiller & BOOH plays very well everything set to high at 1024x768 no graphical errors

But overdose has some minor graphical error it would show only half gun and also some objects are shown in white colour but still playable i played that wen it was released and with old drivers (havent tested with new Drivers)

Thanks!

Top Bottom