Goddamn worm!!!!

paul.rohit

Broken In
i unwittingly had clicked on a suspicious facebook link which led to my computer being affected by a worm called the "slenfbot.gen!g".quick heal did not detect anything. this led to two things happening.

1) i got alerts from windows action centre about the worm and had the option to delete or quarantine it. I removed the worm but every time i turn on the machine/ restart it the worm cropped up again. i updated windows definitions and after a native boot scan by quick heal that no longer happens.

2)but the 2nd pop up that used to appear saying "c/windows/SysWOW64/svchost.exe" is trying to send emails and is not a trusted email client. ive always clicked no to this option. im pretty sure this is because of the worm as well.when i scan this file with quick heal it says its virus free which im sure is not true.

please help and advise me on what to do.

doomgiver

Warframe
download "Unlocker" software.
go to task manager
find the offending worm process (look under the image path name column, it will be something like "c/windows/SysWOW64/svchost.exe")
kill the process
immediately right click the program/worm in windows explorer, and select unlocker option
then, choose the "delete" option from the drop down menu, or if it shows a large screen with multiple lines and processes, choose "kill process" and "unlock all" along with delete option.

this will delete the worm 7/10 times.

do this preferrably in safe mode.

reboot and see if it remains

and yeah, **** anti-viruses. i've never used one, and im still virus-free.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@paul: get an anivirus which has all the features of spyware/adware etc (if need be paid one)
but remove quick heal...

update the virus definitions to the latest & scan full system

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
try anti spyware
combofix is good
so is spybot

run 2-3 scans from 2-3 diff software one after the other

also maybe use registry mechanic after the above depending on the severity

Top Bottom