gaming rig for 85k

Sarath

iDota
I got myself a HD 6970 simply because it was the most powerful one I could afford. The 560ti was more VFM but I didnt see a reason why I should go for it when I can afford a higher one.
I couldn't get the 580 as it was 9k more. Now its 26k, down from 29k. There is a 4k difference now.

If they are coming out in September then thats a long wait. Its a vicious cycle. Never wait for new components, IMO they take you on a eternal ride.

Sarath

iDota
:) Lol I must say I envy you bro. Happy gaming.

As a small advice, after buying that stop checking for new developments and releases in graphics cards ;-) It will pinch less to know that something better is available at the same/lower price point in the coming months. But since thats universal when coming to gfx cards, your card is not alone.

Get a good PSU to power that beast. And a good cabbie.

Also if you in bangalore, where are you buying your stuff?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
@ OP:

Get a 2600k, GTX 580, 2x4GB 1600Mhz RAM and base the rest of the setup around that.

If they are coming out in September then thats a long wait. Its a vicious cycle. Never wait for new components, IMO they take you on a eternal ride.

Totally agree with this. unless its less than a month of waiting, dont wait. I got the i7 960 albeit 2600k was out lol.

@anyone who says @1080/1200p 6970 is more value for money: Are you kidding me? I have stated previously many examples through which I showed that at 1080p the 580 is total VFM, especially so now, that it has dropped in price. Crysis 2 got updated to DX11 now, and its one beautiful looking game (even better than Metro 2033 now). Its one GPU hungry SOB and it manages to tax my system ( i get drops to 40fps even at particle heavy scenes). He is going future-proof and the 580 is his best bet, unless he can stretch and fit a 6990/590.

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Are you kidding me? I have stated previously many examples through which I showed that at 1080p the 580 is total VFM, especially so now, that it has dropped in price.

Thank god somebody agrees to me.

tkin

Back to school!!
@ OP:

Get a 2600k, GTX 580, 2x4GB 1600Mhz RAM and base the rest of the setup around that.

Totally agree with this. unless its less than a month of waiting, dont wait. I got the i7 960 albeit 2600k was out lol.

@anyone who says @1080/1200p 6970 is more value for money: Are you kidding me? I have stated previously many examples through which I showed that at 1080p the 580 is total VFM, especially so now, that it has dropped in price. Crysis 2 got updated to DX11 now, and its one beautiful looking game (even better than Metro 2033 now). Its one GPU hungry SOB and it manages to tax my system ( i get drops to 40fps even at particle heavy scenes). He is going future-proof and the 580 is his best bet, unless he can stretch and fit a 6990/590.
Gulp :???:, wonder what will happen to me, you have a 580 sli system and get 40FPS drops, will I get drops to 20?

All of you speculating whether GTX680 will be twice as fast as GTX580 or 7950 will be twice as fast as 6950 forgot one impotant thing, do you think it will be priced the same if they perform twice as fast, put some analogy here, compare prices of 4850 and 5850, compare prices of 4870 and 5870(do not draw nvidia GTX280 and 8800GTX into this, at that time ati sucked and nvidia had no competition), now that market had stabilized prices will depend on both manufacturers and trust me you'll get 20-30% max performance boost at same price point, if 680=2x580 then price of 680 will be 1.7x price of 580(atleast 50% more), same with 6950 and 7950 etc.

Bottom line, at this time of "Not so much financial success" ati/nvdia will not give you 2x performance boost at same price point, they need cash badly.

So if you keep waiting for 2x performance, see you when 9xx or 9xxx comes out.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
^:+1:

Very nicely put...placats many a tensed heart(with spanking new GTX500series and HD6000 series gpus ;) )

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Gulp , wonder what will happen to me, you have a 580 sli system and get 40FPS drops, will I get drops to 20?

dont worry, it only happens in the particle heavy section. You should get a meaty 35 FPS on average.
I get on average 1.65GB-1.8 of VRAM usage.
A friend of mine reported his min to be 26fps on a single Evga 580.

Your price analogy is correct...only if you look at their immediate prices. like when the 680 is released expect 32k and the 580 will cost 21-23k... lol.

Anyhow, I would choose the 480 over a 570, simply because of the higher VRAM. it may take more power and make more heat and OC not as well as the 570, but its the better choice in the long term.
I stated that in case OP wanted a cheaper GPU. obviously 6970 would make more sense here.

tkin

Back to school!!
dont worry, it only happens in the particle heavy section. You should get a meaty 35 FPS on average.
I get on average 1.65GB-1.8 of VRAM usage.
A friend of mine reported his min to be 26fps on a single Evga 580.

Your price analogy is correct...only if you look at their immediate prices. like when the 680 is released expect 32k and the 580 will cost 21-23k... lol.

Anyhow, I would choose the 480 over a 570, simply because of the higher VRAM. it may take more power and make more heat and OC not as well as the 570, but its the better choice in the long term.
I stated that in case OP wanted a cheaper GPU. obviously 6970 would make more sense here.
No, compare launch prices, a similarity is there as well, if 680 does give 2x580 then I expect it to be 700$ atleast, so 40k here.

OP
R

RocknRolla

Broken In
dont go into gtx 680 because it hasnt been released comment on it later Till now i think a gtx 580 performs better than a hd 6970 but it consumes more power still i have no problem with that. By the way do u think the corsair h70 water cooler is a better buy than any cooler master cooler???????????????

comp@ddict

^^ Corsair H70 is a good budget solution, go ahead with it, hitch-free for 2 years after installation.

Till now i think a gtx 580 performs better than a hd 6970 but it consumes more power still i have no problem with that.

Yep, it's a trade off, but with all due respect, it's worth it.

tkin

Back to school!!
@tkin: I dont think so. Didnt the GTX 280 launch at INR 30k too?
I made a clear statement there, do not bring the GTX280 or 8800GTX in the picture, amd was cr@p back then so nvidia could charge whatever they wanted, hence the price, if 58xx series failed GTX480 would have cost 700$+ for sure. This holds true for the complete amd lineup from 48xx series.

Also compare 4xx and 5xx from nvidia, again @ same price point how much faster is 580 than a 480?

dont go into gtx 680 because it hasnt been released comment on it later Till now i think a gtx 580 performs better than a hd 6970 but it consumes more power still i have no problem with that. By the way do u think the corsair h70 water cooler is a better buy than any cooler master cooler???????????????
If the H70 leaks, by by birdie(and it leaks).
In use corsair replaces any component damaged by leaked cooler but not in India, you have to ship to US.

^^ Corsair H70 is a good budget solution, go ahead with it, hitch-free for 2 years after installation.

Yep, it's a trade off, but with all due respect, it's worth it.
I concur.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Gulp :???:, wonder what will happen to me, you have a 580 sli system and get 40FPS drops, will I get drops to 20?

All of you speculating whether GTX680 will be twice as fast as GTX580 or 7950 will be twice as fast as 6950 forgot one impotant thing, do you think it will be priced the same if they perform twice as fast, put some analogy here, compare prices of 4850 and 5850, compare prices of 4870 and 5870(do not draw nvidia GTX280 and 8800GTX into this, at that time ati sucked and nvidia had no competition), now that market had stabilized prices will depend on both manufacturers and trust me you'll get 20-30% max performance boost at same price point, if 680=2x580 then price of 680 will be 1.7x price of 580(atleast 50% more), same with 6950 and 7950 etc.

Bottom line, at this time of "Not so much financial success" ati/nvdia will not give you 2x performance boost at same price point, they need cash badly.

So if you keep waiting for 2x performance, see you when 9xx or 9xxx comes out.

Speculations aside , we will ofcourse compare that when the new gpu's arrive. The catch is the new architecture. All amd's previoulsy from series 4 followed the vliw architecture. Now its something very very different. They have borrowed ideas from the cell architecture. So expect some radical improvements.

Comparing the 480 and 580 ratio isn't gonna be same with the probable 580 : 680. 480 and 580 are both fermi whereas 680 is not. Courtesy a total new architecture in the horizon. Besides don't forget the 28nm fabrications techniques and die shrinkage that are bound to take the manufacturing costs down.

So we might see a 7970 and gtx 680 spanking their predecessors in the arse in terms of performance per watt and costing lesser.

tkin

Back to school!!
Speculations aside , we will ofcourse compare that when the new gpu's arrive. The catch is the new architecture. All amd's previoulsy from series 4 followed the vliw architecture. Now its something very very different. They have borrowed ideas from the cell architecture. So expect some radical improvements.

Comparing the 480 and 580 ratio isn't gonna be same with the probable 580 : 680. 480 and 580 are both fermi whereas 680 is not. Courtesy a total new architecture in the horizon. Besides don't forget the 28nm fabrications techniques and die shrinkage that are bound to take the manufacturing costs down.

So we might see a 7970 and gtx 680 spanking their predecessors in the arse in terms of performance per watt and costing lesser.
I'm not saying it won't be good, but I am saying they won't give you 100% boost at same price point, they will instead give you 30% at a time for 3 times, thereby enabling 3 series of cards having same price but offering 30% more performance at a time. If they give you all out @ start what will they do for the next years or so?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^I think they are well covered for next couple of years. Nvidia has maxwell and amd well indeed has something in its sleeves.

I have a feeling that the next gen gpu's that's gonna get launched coming Q4 are going to be freakishly powerful. Something radical and nothing ever seen before. Nvidia themselves stated that kepler will be 2x fermi out of the box.

Now how good is that statement has to be seen when both amd and nvidia come up with their next gen gpu's.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Everything aside, for that budget, there should be a SSD in his cabinet. What do you think guys, a 64 GB SSD for OS & 1 TB for storage?

comp@ddict

64 GB SSD for OS & 1 TB for storage?

Great option, go for the Seagate 1TB @ 2.7k

And if you can afford the 64GB SSD, then why not!

amd was cr@p "now" so "INTEL" could charge whatever they wanted

Sigh, how the scenario has changed, hasnt it?

:facepalm:

Top Bottom