Gaming PC 55k

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Which one would you all buy....

FX8350 + M5A97 Evo + HD 7970 OC = Rs 47100

or

i5 3570K + Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H + HD7950 = Rs 48500

Yep will get fx 8350 + 7970 anyday.gpu is all matter in gaming than cpu.

Intel Z77 mainboard or Z75m45Lk ?,now who would suggest that cheap mainboard with questionable build quality actually built by the untouchable Foxconn. We all know Intel is exiting Mainboard business,that is another reason to avoid it,warranty will be an issue.You are cutting essential corners and suggesting cheap components to proove you point not good!

Dude no body has suggested here z75 mobo to go with i5 3570k cpu.

i suggested z75 mobo for non-oc cpu - i5 3470.even though mobo supports turbo boost.

Regarding price/performance in op's case with 60k budget i5 + 7950 is defiently wise option:)

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
Oh and as far as your mobo problem goes, its not our falt that most amd cpu's have 125w tdp and need more vrm's to just run stably at stock. i5's dont need high frequencies or power to perform good. With intel its almost guaranteed any mobo will run at stock without throttling. With amd cheaper ones will burn if you put fx 8350 in them. An i7 can be accomondated on h61, cant say the same for amd can we? Of course not because it uses twice as much power!

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Provide me any link that tri gate tech is the reason for lower clocks instead of cheap paste.
Oh! lord fight is over pls...
FX8350+7970GHz will kill
any i7 + 7950/7870xt in games

Oh and as far as your mobo problem goes, its not our falt that most amd cpu's have 125w tdp and need more vrm's to just run stably at stock. i5's dont need high frequencies or power to perform good. With intel its almost guaranteed any mobo will run at stock without throttling. With amd cheaper ones will burn if you put fx 8350 in them. An i7 can be accomondated on h61, cant say the same for amd can we? Of course not because it uses twice as much power!

Ah! please Check Wht you want to say ...(there are no VRMs theres just one Voltage regulator module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Designers aren't lame enough to design a socket of 10W for a 125W proccy..
All MobO manufacturers do check this point in design stage itself...

BTW can't you recall old days of power hungry C2Q running on cheap MobOs??
Also according to my arithmetic 95*2 is not 125W
neither is 84*2 = 125W

FX 8350 consumes just 28.5% more as compared to IVY
& 48% as compared to Haswell So its nowhere near 200%

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
Fyi intel and amd measure tdp in different ways. An overclocked fx takes more than 200w underload. I meant powerphase designs. Intel proccy can run on 4+1 stably whereas amd cant. Amd's low share+ high energy requirements result into no good enough mobo under 5k.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Yes, you are right. running a 8 Core FX-8350, only boards over 5K are recommended and for overclocking, the 6K + boards are advised. Intel does have an advantage if you are buying an very cheap mobo, provided you're not doing any overclocking. But the thing is Op's budget permits him to get a 7K Motherboard which can easily handle the highest end FX processors. So no point of discussing that advantage here.
It is not an AMD Vs Intel thread, it is all about what OP can get for his money.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Huh? yes fx can oc with stock cooler to some extent.But in overall overclocking i5 and i7 will have edge anyday.

According to anandtech,Guru 3d,x-bit labs max oc they achieved for i5 was 4.7 while fx was 4.7-4.8

Fx 8350 comes factory clocked at 4.0Ghz. What if the 3570k were factory clocked at 4.0Ghz? it would Beaten the 8350 even more so.@stock i5 is faster than fx 8350 then Being that a 3570, 8350 all overclock to around 4.7Ghz/4.8ghz(fx), with the 8350 you can get a 0.8Ghz advantage, but with the 3570k you get a 1.3Ghz advantage.That's 0.5Ghz(500mhz) of an advantage the Intel's have over AMD :)

Then buddy by your logic why buy a i5 when you can overclock a P4 to 5GHz and be happy

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Then buddy by your logic why buy a i5 when you can overclock a P4 to 5GHz and be happy

Dude read properly i did not said that what you mean.what i mean is if we overclock both i5 3570k and fx 8350 to 4.7/4.8ghz you will get 500 mhz advantage over fx 8350 as fx 8350 is already clocked @4.0ghz while i5 @3.4ghz.that benefit of 500 mhz is usefull in cpu intensive games + ipc (instruction per clock/cycle) of i5 is way better than fx 8350.so conclusion is i5 will be more faster than fx 8350.

if i can buy any i7, i can buy the 7970 as well
and i5 + 7970 is better VFM

Agreed. very true:)

if anyone on budget or want Vfm yes fx 8350 is best for him as he will get better gpu.But there are people who have budget of 100k-150k so spending extra money on i5 rig will be not big deal as they will get slight faster cpu + low power consumption + less heat.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Fyi intel and amd measure tdp in different ways. An overclocked fx takes more than 200w underload. I meant powerphase designs. Intel proccy can run on 4+1 stably whereas amd cant. Amd's low share+ high energy requirements result into no good enough mobo under 5k.
whoa that's a good comparison?
for AMD mobo you are taking into the account overclocking but for Intel stock clocks. err

BTW just compare a 6k AM3+ board with a 6k Intel board you will notice the difference.

@op unless you are going for a multi card setup you are pretty much safe & future proof with AMD

Dude read properly i did not said that what you mean.what i mean is if we overclock both i5 3570k and fx 8350 to 4.7/4.8ghz you will get 500 mhz advantage over fx 8350 as fx 8350 is already clocked @4.0ghz while i5 @3.4ghz.that benefit of 500 mhz is usefull in cpu intensive games + ipc (instruction per clock/cycle) of i5 is way better than fx 8350.so conclusion is i5 will be more faster than fx 8350.

Agreed. very true:)

if anyone on budget or want Vfm yes fx 8350 is best for him as he will get better gpu.But there are people who have budget of 100k-150k so spending extra money on i5 rig will be not big deal as they will get slight faster cpu + low power consumption + less heat.

how can you compare two different microarchitechture in clock-to-clock basis????

if i can buy any i7, i can buy the 7970 as well
and i5 + 7970 is better VFM
if budget is no issue then get a i7(K haswell)+z87 + 780. You will be very much future proof(next generation) with that card & setup.

for lesser bill go with a i5 or 8350 with 780. I am saying 780 cause as you can see new AAA games(few) @full HD resolution with high details(not ultra) with last gen top of the line from both camps are getting below 50fps. At ultra dropping below 30(min).

But, then again at full hd with medium quality with x16AF graphics look very good for complaining. So a 7970(Gigabyte windforce version is too good) is also a very good choice.

Last edited:

ASHISH65

Technomancer
how can you compare two different microarchitechture in clock-to-clock basis????

Intel architechture is way better than amd.that is why you see in gaming intel cpu performs better than amd.The reason behind is Intel has superior IPC than amd in past few years. The more IPC a CPU can execute per 1MHz, the faster it can potentially be.

IPC stands for how much work can a CPU do per Ghz/Hz/etc. A CPU with a higher IPC can do more work, or be more powerful, than a CPU with a lower IPC if both are clocked the same.

An example would be how a 3Ghz Core i5 Quad can beat a 3 ghz phenom quad, as the i5 has a design with a higher IPC.

Hope you understand :)

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I do not agree on your Instruction Per Cycle theory for the AMD and Intel. Could you elaborate a bit taking in to account the native architecture of the two AMD and Intel.

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
I do not agree on your Instruction Per Cycle theory for the AMD and Intel. Could you elaborate a bit taking in to account the native architecture of the two AMD and Intel.

Ipc is instructions per cycle, which is different for amd and intel due to differences in their architecture. Per cycle intel i series do a lot more work than amd. Amd with higher clcoks and more cores try to negate this factor. Ashish65 was right that if you take even a sb and ivy bridge processor at same clockspeed, ivy will be around 10% faster and this is due to more efficient ipc. The same goes for piledriver and bulldozer. But as can be seen by various benchmarks in gaming and links provided by ashish, an i5 can reach same clockspeeds and games are not 8 threaded. So both amd's strategies flunk and i5's smoke fx 8350. Amd's answer to everything is add more cores and increase clockspeed, that is why fx are not at all efficient. If we take sb which was at 95w on 32nm, There is still a big difference underload like 50w between fx and i series. I am not saying fx 8350 is crap, it will and can win in highly multithreaded tasks against a normal i5 but gaming is not one of them. And if we take a i5 3570k, with higher speeds its ipc will make it even more faster. Ultimately its what benchmarks you choose between the two will influence your decision but for a normal prosumer, i5 is fast enough in well threaded apps, excellent in legacy programs and is more efficient wuth great performance in gaming.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Lets not discuss about architecture and stuffs, just discuss what OP can get in his budget.
Just quoting from Incinerator's post
FX8350 + M5A97 Evo + HD 7970 OC = Rs 47100

or

i5 3570K + Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H + HD7950 = Rs 48500

Which one looks better for Op's budget?
And you are not taking one factor under consideration while stating about clock to clock performance, running a i5 3570K at 4 GHz speed, you need a cooler which will add another 2.5K. So lets consider the stock to stock performance for now.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Lets not discuss about architecture and stuffs, just discuss what OP can get in his budget.
Just quoting from Incinerator's post

Which one looks better for Op's budget?
And you are not taking one factor under consideration while stating about clock to clock performance, running a i5 3570K at 4 GHz speed, you need a cooler which will add another 2.5K. So lets consider the stock to stock performance for now.

+10 For HD 7970 OC + FX8350

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, you are not getting the point. Whatever budget OP has, he can fit a better Graphics card with the AMD configuration which is actually crucial for gaming performance.

Top Bottom