Gaming PC 55k

@vkl sandy uses solder b/w chip and ihs. the thermal conductivity of solder is far better than thermal paste. At ocn people who used a thermals paste callled coolaboratory its almost is a liquid metal paste had way better temps than generic thermal pastes b/w the tim and ihs.
true. SB used 'fluxless solder' between the chip and IHS. Ivy Bridge uses thermal paste instead. And its also true some many guys separated the IHS ans replaces the thermal paste by something I don't remember, and the temperatures were quite lower. Does haswell too used thermal paste instead of fluxless solder?

varun004

Journeyman
yes and if anyone is buying haswell chips i strongly suggest not to it is so bad at overclocking ivy had heat problem at vcore above 1.3, haswell starts firing at 1.25. The overclocking is complicated with chip with memory. Go for ivy 5-10% perfromance increase is not worth all this problems. Ivy chips are cheaper mobo are cheaper and are a year old with better dies. Go for chips manufactured in costa rica they are known to overclock better.

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
yes and if anyone is buying haswell chips i strongly suggest not to it is so bad at overclocking ivy had heat problem at vcore above 1.3, haswell starts firing at 1.25. The overclocking is complicated with chip with memory. Go for ivy 5-10% perfromance increase is not worth all this problems. Ivy chips are cheaper mobo are cheaper and are a year old with better dies. Go for chips manufactured in costa rica they are known to overclock better.

Actully haswell performs approx 15% faster so at 4ghz, ivy needs to be clocked at 4.6ghz to match it. Every site I read till now clocked their i7 atleast at 4.4ghz, mostly 4.6-4.7. That kind of jump cant be beaten by overclocking + z87 mobos are a lot better. So I think the early buyer premium is justified by a grand or two.

Actully haswell performs approx 15% faster so at 4ghz, ivy needs to be clocked at 4.6ghz to match it. Every site I read till now clocked their i7 atleast at 4.4ghz, mostly 4.6-4.7. That kind of jump cant be beaten by overclocking + z87 mobos are a lot better. So I think the early buyer premium is justified by a grand or two.
And how did you get to that?

vaibhavs800

Journeyman
And how did you get to that?
Uhmm by taking 15% of 4.4 and adding XP

Actually the second gen chips clock the highest. Most haswell chips should atleast get 4.3-4.4ghz reported by intel itself. Haswell was around 4.4-4.5, so its a modest 100mhz downclock.

Haswell can be anything from lower single digits to 20% faster said by anandtech. Especially in quick sync supported tasks it can be even faster. Z87 boards get addition 4 sata 6gbps ports. With probably support for another generation, these think easily value over 2k. I would have given 2k myself for sata ports only as I am already running two 128gb ssd.

What's a major issue that just came to my eye limited overclocking on non k i5 and i7 proccys gone :-\ Why intel why?? :facepalm:

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@vkl sandy uses solder b/w chip and ihs. the thermal conductivity of solder is far better than thermal paste. At ocn people who used a thermals paste callled coolaboratory its almost is a liquid metal paste had way better temps than generic thermal pastes. I mean if they just soldered that goddamn chip to ihs there would ve not been any heat problems.

Yeah,that's what I wrote and implied.
This is a very informative thread on that:Delidded my i7-3770K, loaded temperatures drop by 20°C at 4.7GHz
After delidding the temperature drops like 20 degree Celsius and more are a direct result of distance reduction between CPU die and IHS.You will notice that the default TIM even outperformed noctua NT-H1 in those tests.Yes,a better TIM would see some degree drop in temperatures.But majority of drop comes from distance reduction in case of ivy bridge.

Had soldering been used in place of TIM paste,or IHS to CPU die gap was lesser then it would have been much better.They wanted to cheap out or cut cost,mostly a cost cutting measure or may be to reduce design complexity.

Top Bottom