[Games] Newbie Questions Regarding Nintendo Box and PS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Hello everyone

I need your help and advice. First I would like to tell you that I'm not a gamer. I never play games on computer but sometimes I play the good old video games.

Now since I don't play games, I don't have much knowledge about Nintendo, PS2, PS3, Xbox, etc. Thats why I need your help.

Actually I wanted to gift a Video Game to my 11 years niece but I decided to give her something more advance and new. I have read and have seen a few videos on Youtube about "Nintendo" box which look like old Video game boxes but are more advanced.

So let me ask a few simple questions which I know will be very easy for you to reply: :)

1. Are Nintendo box available in market and if yes, how much do they cost?

2. I have seen in many videos that we can use Genie codes to change game settings, use cheats, play any desired level in games. Is it true? Can we enter those alphanumeric codes using its remote or are they only for computer use?

3. Is there any 64 version available for Nintendo? How much does it cost?

4. Can Nintendo box play old Video game cassettes?

5. Now come to PS2. How much does it cost? I asked in market. Here it costs approx. 6K in my city.

6. Can we use computer game CD in PS2?

7. Can we download games from net, burn games CD using Nero and use in PS2? Will it detect it? (Sorry if its illegal, I have no idea.)

Sorry for these newbie questions. I'm really a noob when you talk about Games. ;)

abhi.eternal

In search of light...
well i dont know about Nintendo but here are the answers for the PS2.

5. The Sony World price in B'lore is 6990/-
6. No, the formats are different.
7. Yes, but I doubt that you'll find any free game (i hope you get the message ;))

As for Nintendo, check out Nintendo DS.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
7. Can we download games from net, burn games CD using Nero and use in PS2? Will it detect it? (Sorry if its illegal, I have no idea.)

Hail Modchip . Ues El La Daemon tools (not lite ) r Alcohol 120% for Da burning way of DvDs .

Swap Magic also does the same

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I am not too much in sync with Nintendo since ages now so won't be able to answer any Nintendo queries.But since I now own a Playstation 2 can help you out with the same.
5. Now come to PS2. How much does it cost? I asked in market. Here it costs approx. 6K in my city.
A modded one costs anywhere from 6k to 7.5k.An official one costs Rs.6,999.

6. Can we use computer game CD in PS2?
No you can't.Both platforms are different.

Yes you can.If you have a modded console then it is possible.

Sorry for these newbie questions. I'm really a noob when you talk about Games. ;)
Don't worry about it pal.That's why we have everyone guiding each other on this forum.:D

If you are getting your Niece a gift then better get a Ninetendo one as they have a lot of games which are very well saturated for kiddy audience like the Mario spin offs & tons of other which will appeal a lot to her.Playstation 2 has got very limited titles in this regards & these are very difficult to pick up in normal market as they stock only major selling titles which have excess gore & action which is today's generations forte.Try for a handheld Nintendo DS if possible.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Well if budget is no bar then why don't you give ur niece Nintendo Wii? Its got high gameplay fun factor for everybody and kiddies just love it.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Not that I am an extra on gaming but PS2 (Moded) with its price seems tobe idle option :D

* Games are available on the back way of internet :p
* Rs. 5k (round more or less 500) for the consol :D
* Good availibility :D
* Plays DVD (xvid / divx) too :D

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Thanks a lot guys for your replies. I really appreciate it. :)

Now I'm planning to give her Nintendo box. Since I don't have much idea, can you guys pls provide replies to following questions:

2. I have seen in many videos that we can use Genie codes to change game settings, use cheats, play any desired level in games. Is it true? Can we enter those alphanumeric codes using its remote or are they only for computer use?

Thanks again.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^1.I don't think nintendo cube(this is what it is called iirc,:D) was ever released in India,so availability might be a problem.

2.I guess thats possible,but most of the games for cube has fun value and cheats aren't exactly needed.

3.wtf 64 version?

4.Of course no! I am sure you meant that those nes and snes cassettes,you should be ashamed for asking this question,:p.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Box? Which one? Game Cube or some older nintendo version? If you mean Game Cube then I doubt it's availibility right now.It's never been very popular on the Indian front so no clue about it's availibility.Though a Wii(which is Nintendo's latest console offering) is available in the market.

Sorry can't help you out on this one.

You mean the nintendo 64 a.k.a N64 right? Nope.None that I have seen so far.

Nope.If you mean compatible with the Game Cube then no it won't as the Game Cube used the Properitary Game disc & would not accept ROM cartridges.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!

Genie Codes are like Action Replay max or gameshark codes like in ps2 , it modifies the memory of the system (to cheat)

My choice will be DS or a PlaystationPortable (fat one with IR) . kids love playing games (or watching movies , or some other movies . even more movies ) in their bed time (or in bed , or in school or in toilet or in terrace , or on moon or above the picnic table or riding a lama or in train or in plane , during exams etc etc . ) or Some mitashi Virtual reality games .

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Guys

As I earlier said I don't have much idea about these Gaming consoles. I have not used or seen Nintendo games in real, I have just watched a few videos of Nintendo consoles on Youtube which show how they can use genie codes to play Mario games and others from any world, how codes can be used to make the game character (like Mario) invincible, etc.

Thats why I decided to gift Nintendo console which is better than the Media Video games.

So I want to know which Nintendo console is good and what is DS? Sorry again for this question if it sounds noobish. :)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
How old is your niece? Nintendo DS or the DS Lite is a handheld gaming console which has a dual screen & touch screen capabilities.It's very easy to get adjusted to as compared to video game consoles which may not be as easy if she has never used one in her life.

You can use this link to get a better insight on it:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS

And it's games out here:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_DS_games

You will find that it has a good library of kiddy games.This handle is very much available & hence is more recommended.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^wii is your only choice.

a modded wii console with controllers et all costs about 20-21k in delhi,kinda steep i would say.

for a 11 year old,I would say DS is a perfect choicek,its cool and fun but can't be used to play games on TV which seems to be your primary criterion.

ps2 is what seems to be the best option IMO,cheap and millions and millions of gaming titles.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
A Nintendo Wii would probably be a good idea but then again it was very pricey.The older nintendo's would include those 8-bit variants I guess.The Nintendo Wii would be a bit tricky to use considering the controller it uses, better known as WiiMote.It all depends on her age & ease of use.Else get the older versions of the Nintendo console if they are still available.

Also just out of curiosity, Why a gaming console? You don't have to answer this if you don't want to.:)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Thanks. I decided to gift Nintendo as she is very fond of playing video games on TV and I wanted to give something better and advance. Now I think Nintendo DS is the best option for me. :)

PS: How much do the older Nintendo console cost?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
The older as in the 8-bit versions? They should be dirt cheap by now.Haven't checked any price recently but will look up for it locally if you want to.Nintendo DS is a better choice because it will provide a good portable gaming solution.If she can use it carefully then I reckon it would be an ideal choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom