Future Laptop purchase

Theodre

In the zone
I am planning to buy laptop this year end, i delayed it because of the expensive and unavailability of the ultrabooks, I was only looking into ultrabooks but then came AMD with the APU. Since i am a AMD fan makes me think twice now!

Will AMD's APU win the war between Intels ultrabook category laptops?

I need battery life (approx 6hrs above) and Above average Performance Which i tend to Store on SSD's (ie; i prefer SSD's :-D ), So is APU suitable for me?

I am able to stretch my budget from 75 to 85! So waiting for more choices of ultrabooks or APU powered laptops worth it??

Is it AMD or Intel??

I am already confused as i am in final year and is in need of a laptop but is waiting for a good one with 6hrs above battery life(which is promised by ultrabooks) and ssd. I fear my waiting for a good choice may be a wrong decision which is why i am asking for suggestions this early :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
avoid these ultrabooks. the hype is there cause its showed that way. once you start considering performance, you'll see that these are nothing but 0.8cm thick piece of crap. those can't even run a game properly.

instead opt for a 55-65k performance laptop and add a SSD and see its performance rocket to space.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Satisfy Yourself with a Mac book(ofcourse if you can live without Windows) and skip on the idea of Ultrabook-The intel only product.:wink:

OP
Theodre

Theodre

In the zone
avoid these ultrabooks. the hype is there cause its showed that way. once you start considering performance, you'll see that these are nothing but 0.8cm thick piece of crap. those can't even run a game properly.

instead opt for a 55-65k performance laptop and add a SSD and see its performance rocket to space.

Sam am not a hardcore gamer, so i wouldn't worry about that! What i need is huge battery boost of about 6hrs above :) and enough juice to play 1080p HD videos with ease :) I considered APU as it able to play directX 11 games which may help me with animation and maybe a bit gaming :) But i need to know if Ultrabooks and APU is CRAP or is worth the wait??!!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
APUs are for sure worth while waiting. But wait till reviews of ULV 17w APUs are out as I suppose these are the ones you should be targeting for as you mentioned your needs. 80k is a damn good budget and you will get a good AMD "ultrabook" in 50k or so and put in a 240GB SSD or so. In 3-4 months, the face of mobile computing is going to be much different, so don't judge it by now. Just wait and watch.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Sam am not a hardcore gamer, so i wouldn't worry about that! What i need is huge battery boost of about 6hrs above :) and enough juice to play 1080p HD videos with ease :) I considered APU as it able to play directX 11 games which may help me with animation and maybe a bit gaming :) But i need to know if Ultrabooks and APU is CRAP or is worth the wait??!!

if you can sell out 85k, you'll get some nice ultrabook with i7 + maybe graphics card from Nvidia or AMD but if you drop the idea of ultrabook, you can still get laptops that offer similar battery life but with extra horsepower as ultrabook will use 17W ULV processors that will get outdated in a year or two. SSD won't help if processor itself is slow.

APUs are for sure worth while waiting. But wait till reviews of ULV 17w APUs are out as I suppose these are the ones you should be targeting for as you mentioned your needs. 80k is a damn good budget and you will get a good AMD "ultrabook" in 50k or so and put in a 240GB SSD or so. In 3-4 months, the face of mobile computing is going to be much different, so don't judge it by now. Just wait and watch.

17W APU will be lot slower than the current A10. will perform same as the last gen A8. but Intel ULV will blow these out of water in performance test. but will a 128Gb (or 240Gb) SSD be sufficient for the task. cause i don't think these will pack additional HDD or have provision for using HDD unless you decide to remove the ODD.

OP
Theodre

Theodre

In the zone
@sam- What is your opinion on the lenovo ideapad yoga (laptop+tablet)??

This ultrabook is said to be rolled out after the windows 8 release which is now rumoured to be in october.

His requirement don't need A10, 17w will do good enough for him.

Is a10 under my budget?? If yes then its good and is better na?:wink:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@sam- What is your opinion on the lenovo ideapad yoga (laptop+tablet)??

This ultrabook is said to be rolled out after the windows 8 release which is now rumoured to be in october.

touchscreen on a laptop is the worst idea i have seen. you will use it till you realize that using keyboard + mouse is faster and your arm doesn't start to ache. over that, this laptop looks like an ultrabook and with touchscreen, it'll have a ridiculously high pricetag as well as pathetic battery life.

BTW if launched in October, don't expect this to show up here before the world ends i.e. 2012 ;)

Is a10 under my budget?? If yes then its good and is better na?:wink:

35W A10 based laptops will cost ~35k (if launched here). whereas the 17W based A10 should cost same but most likely the former A10 will have some kind of extra GPU to XFire with (read dual graphics). whereas the second A10 will be for slimbooks only.

OP
Theodre

Theodre

In the zone
Is this mean i should go for ultrabook?? And eventually also wait??
But the only best option rightnow in the ultrabook category is dell XPS13 with 2nd Gen intel processors with 128 or 256 GB SSD upto 8gb DDR3!! But the problem is that it don't have DVD drive :(

aroraanant

Explorer
^^^^
But now a days the DVD drive is very rarely used, I don't even when I used my DVD drive.It has been years and same is the case with all my friends

OP
Theodre

Theodre

In the zone
^^^^
But now a days the DVD drive is very rarely used, I don't even when I used my DVD drive.It has been years and same is the case with all my friends

Its just that i use dvd drive almost everyday and i backup all my data manually in my home itself as i don't like the thought of some company storing my data:| I still like backups in MY OWN DVD than cloud :) And also i always bump into new DVD's almost often of somekind, so it won't be sufficient for my 8Gb pendrive to hold my all backup, thats why :) And i don't have a external HDD for my backup so DVD is my only option :)

OP
Theodre

Theodre

In the zone
My friend uses macbook pro 13 and i too have used it a bit, he said its awesome with the battery life but will heat up easily and cannot be used in LAP, and i don't know am not familiar with Mac OS :-? And am not definitely lokking for a gaming rig:) This is why am so confused :) Too many choices and questions :|

Top Bottom