Future in Space?

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Hi guys,
I need a bit of help with the topic in the title for a project and one of the things needed is a survey. Can you people please fill this?

*docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGFsQUZ5UGY1QUVlMURoUnF6b1VKRGc6MQ

Also feel free to discuss the topic, I'll join in a lot too.

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ Replied.

We won't get to see this in or lifetime, to reach the nearest habitable planet we need FTL technology, such things are so far away, specially with earths depleting resources, maybe a settlement in mars and moon will be made withing 50 yrs. But no Pandora(from Avatar)

OP
SlashDK

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
@tkin
Not necessarily on mars or moon, we can have something stationary wrt earth in space.

@Anorion
Underwater is too dirty and high pressured, space would be easier to reach :D

And thanks for filling it guys :D

tkin

Back to school!!
@tkin
Not necessarily on mars or moon, we can have something stationary wrt earth in space.

@Anorion
Underwater is too dirty and high pressured, space would be easier to reach :D

And thanks for filling it guys :D
Not enough space, the sky is clouded with satellites etc, not enough space, maybe around moon.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Eventually man will make this planet inhabitable in another 20 years and nature will spew its revenge , so its a rage against time.

OP
SlashDK

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
@tkin
I meant outside any of the orbits. Just free floating in space, somewhere between the earth and moon or sun

tkin

Back to school!!
@tkin
I meant outside any of the orbits. Just free floating in space, somewhere between the earth and moon or sun
Too risky, from asteroids(a small hit can destroy the ship, not to mention the kinetic energy transfer will cause the ship to gain momentum and may destabilize it from its trajectory, correctional thrusters may take care of that but once the fuel runs out...), then the issue of transferring oxygen, water, food, to mitigate all that we will be needing a gigantic spacecraft that can house an entire miniature ecosystem(watch an episode of Dr. Who where there was a forest inside a spacecraft), not feasible in this economy.

OP
SlashDK

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
^^ Check out Lagrangian points. As for the sustainable ecosystem, why not? I mean its possible to have a sustainable ecosystem without forests (growing food doesn't always need soil).

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
^^ Check out Lagrangian points. As for the sustainable ecosystem, why not? I mean its possible to have a sustainable ecosystem without forests (growing food doesn't always need soil).
Bacteria could be used to prepare food.

OP
SlashDK

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
^^ Why not :) we could probably use mineral infused water for growing plants too. Transporting minerals in solid state should be easy enough from earth.

Last edited:

ashutosh_jain

Broken In
Replied. Humanity future is in Space; no two ways about it. It's better we spend money on research, set up space stations, moon base and then spread out to other planets. That's the way forward. Also we should work on preserving the consciousnesses without the fragile human body as it is not ideally suited for space travel. cyborg could be the way out.

Cyborg-1-C2Y4DQXD5Y-1024x768-12.jpg

OP
SlashDK

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
^^ thats a scary proposition. I agree with the first part that humans must expand, but cyborgs *brrrrrr* just feel morally wrong

doomgiver

Warframe
why is being a cyborg "morally" wrong? dont we have prosthetics and artificial limbs and even artificial hearts?
this body is just a vessel for the brain.

i'd gladly give up this weak shell of meat for a more durable one made of metal and synthetics.

do you realize how much time and effort is "wasted" just in taking care of our bodies?
we brush, eat food, clip nails, bathe, take medicines jsut to be "presentable".

billions of dollars of research is done each year, just to make the human body more "safe". this includes crash testing cars, researching medicine, etc.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
ok let's say we have spaces in space designed for a load of humans
these structures will be highly compact, and very economical in terms of space
so you can expect meat and grain farms, office quarters, living quarters and energy sources, computation centers and waste disposal in one place
such economical use of space, combined with isolation will be much more beneficial on land than in space, so, we are stuck here, at least till the sun goes nova
we have so many options, it is better to terraform first then occupy, instead of occupy first then terraform. nine, good, varied planets to test this on first. if we can colonies space, we can colonise mercury, venus, jupiter, saturn and pluto... phew... the benefits of these are over and beyond extreme, we instantly have more in elemental supplies than mankind will require before the sun goes nova
the farms are more likely to go in space before humans
underwater is next, just because it's a little more economical than space, plus it simulates most of it's conditions, so if ever outer space colonisation happens, underwater colonisation is the cheaper option
much cheaper is using land we have in a more economical way

doomgiver

Warframe
mercury... colonize?
what about the radiation? temperature? how will anything be able to survive?
same about jupiter. insane pressures, gaseous nature, huge size. all but impossible.
pluto can be done, but the only problem will be the temperature. maybe explode a few nukes :evil:

mars is the only viable terraforming candidate, taking into account current and projected technology levels for the next 50 years.
venus might be doable, but that would require buttloads of perseverance and some way of dispelling all that gas from the atmosphere.

how about living in space and having hydroponic farms on earth, in stacks of soil, each of which is several hectares in size? or vice versa?
we could strip-mine asteroids and some planets to provide the required materials.

energy could be had by having permanent solar collectors in orbit. we could heatup/cool down areas of earth by making giant lenses/mirrors and focusing/defocusing on particular areas.

imho, we should have a ecological experiment, where we test out a biosphere thats made out of only a small amount of species. like, only a small percentage of the species, so that ecological disasters can be mitigated. this will also help with reducing food shortages, coz then we'd not have to worry about over harvesting a particular species.

Top Bottom