Free Software Compulsory in India!

Status
Not open for further replies.

din

Tribal Boy
They are learning

Open office (writer, calc, impress etc), GIMP, Xpaint (or the paint tool in Lin), HTML editor in Lin, Browsers - All are open source.

Just coz they are not learning about Linux does not mean that they are not learning opensource things. Yes, all these will work in Win but

Win OS = Rs.3500 or high per PC

Lin OS = Rs 30 or less (CD cost) and it is for all PCs

Simple isn't it ? (This is not the only reason too)

This is just a beginning. They may introduce CLI or more about Linux etc, but not right now. Of course, you know how sloe the Govt changes syllabus etc.

PS : Please do not think I am supporting Govt forcing sudents. I am not in favor of that. I was just explaining why OS does not matter in this case. And as per the syllabus we can't tell it is forcing too. Thats the point I wanted to tell.

praka123

left this forum longback
^but they are asking why do we left windows afterall windows is everything! we need to pay/pirate windows to help IT industry growing//sarcasm :rolleyes:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
it is completely wrong to associate communism with FOSS.this is software freedom what RMS & co proposing.we must acknowledge his fight against the devil(microsoft) like ppl throwing stones at Jamra while in Mecca.

heaven forbid me, attaching communism is to linux is a shame infact its ms who is more like commie. coz just like communits they beleieve in total control over everything. Linux is all abut democracy and freedom. Its just by chance that Linux is being implemented by commies.

@infra -
to cut down the cost incurred in purchasing windows!
@praka
I hope all the pcs transferred to Linux+oss softwares,it saves money,ppl learns community support and the basic of FOSS ideology.above all a superior Operating system with Linux.

Would movement return the money already spent, No. Then why not just use Linux on new systems where money is not yet spent to buy windows. Why move all and waste public money on movement process. Even if Linux is free, movement is going to cost is it not.

30 Rs + the money they have to pay to those who should install and maintain the system;) They spent 3500 to buy windows and sy 500bucks for installation etc. Now they spend 500 more(leave the CD out). Why? We are the people who paid tax. Are they not responsible to us.

I hope he read Linux is NOT Windows article,@kumarmohit must read this!
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Thanks for the link, just FYI I am also related to a particular FOSS project called ReactOS. So I know abt the difference. Please keep evangelization aside for a moment.

but they are asking why do we left windows afterall windows is everything! we need to pay/pirate windows to help IT industry growing//sarcasm

Why do you think in extremes, like a sith lord, if you are not with me, you are my enemy. I am not against Linux but I am more with Freedom of choice and govt accountability. It is the tax money they are wasting in moving the systems to linux, when the same FOSS solutions are available for all other platforms.

I will again make my points clear:

1. The act of government forcing Linux down the throat is wrong. Linux and Foss are about choice, not monopoly and that too forced.

2. If you do not want to teach linux at this point, why waste public money on moving the systems when the same new FOSS solutions are available on all presently used platforms. Just make sure that all the new systems come with linux. We do not have money to waste like this.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
kumarmohit said:
Thanks for the link, just FYI I am also related to a particular FOSS project called ReactOS. So I know abt the difference. Please keep evangelization aside for a moment.
What/How are you contributing?

din

Tribal Boy
kumarmohit said:
1. The act of government forcing Linux down the throat is wrong. Linux and Foss are about choice, not monopoly and that too forced.

OK, I got where you are confused

1. Govt is not forcing schools or students NOT to buy Windows. If the schools has money, there is no problem, they can buy. Thats it. Now, the present scenario. The huge majority of the PCs which were running on Win 2-3 yrs back - were all pirated !! I am not saying 100%, but a huge majority. The schools ask for quotes and local computer shop people get the PCs and you know it very well - how many will have Genuine Win. And not all schools bought all PCs. They are still buying it, so it is not like all PCs are there alreay, only OS is new. Not like that.

Practical test (final IT exam) will be on Lin platform. thats the main thing. And as I mentioned before, it does not matter much. Coz the apps matter not OS.

kumarmohit said:
2. If you do not want to teach linux at this point, why waste public money on moving the systems when the same new FOSS solutions are available on all presently used platforms. Just make sure that all the new systems come with linux. We do not have money to waste like this.

First, as I mentioned before, it is not really a shift from Rs.3500 waste to Rs.30 ! Its just a shift from piracy to Lin ;)

Regarding open source. As you very well know opensource is not just Linux operating system. The apps are open source too. They are learning opensource apps and not learning Lin - does not mean that theres no movement.

See, the Govt introduced the IT in curriculum just 3 yrs (If I remember corectly) back only. And all these people (ministers, top officials etc) do not know much on this, NGOs, ILUG people, various orgranizations etc help Govt to make it a success. So it will take some time to modify the present syllabus, add more etc.

And it is never a waste. If we can't complete a big task in a single day - does not mean that that day is wasted. Its a good beginning and sure it wil ltake time.

If Govt need a 50-50 for Lin n Win, they will have to spend a lot of $$$ for schools for buying Win. So schools also will be happy now !

One more thing - Whats so wrong in teaching the apps alone ? Should we force all students to learn internals of Linux or CLI ? 100 % of the students will go to computer field after the school days ? I do not think so. But on the other hand, majority of these students will be using computers in various fields. May be for office work, may be for internet, graphics or something. So evenif they are not learning everything about Linux in school, its a good thing they learn how to use the apps.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@kumarmohit
and you know how frequently the school PCs are upgraded or get new ones! so keeping the current ones as it is and getting linux wid new PCs may take a long long and long time. as din said, most of the windows installation (yes, even in my school) are pirated. so i think its a good move.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
infra_red_dude said:
@kumarmohit
and you know how frequently the school PCs are upgraded or get new ones! so keeping the current ones as it is and getting linux wid new PCs may take a long long and long time. as din said, most of the windows installation (yes, even in my school) are pirated. so i think its a good move.
Very true...
Piracy is got into the roots
All my system in my college are running pirated windows
when i asked my teacher about this she said "Do we need to pay for software also?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
mehulved said:
What/How are you contributing?

By publicising the product., its not that only people who know programming can contribute. If I remember correctly I was one of the first persons who brot the attention of this forum and digit to reactos.

@ Rest of All:

If it is coz z the windows or watever they use is pirated, than I am totally with it. After all it is implementation of law against piracy.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Going a bit OT from this discussion. I happened to have a look at my sister's computer book. I was surprised to even see the mention of linux and solaris within Operating Systems. They've even mentioned linux as a GUI OS. Even the word GPL has found a mention. There's also a mention of KDE as a GUI, but not of GNOME or others though. Still, quite a big thing of mentioning even this much to students of BBI. And much better than what it was at out time. Our professor had told us that "Windows NT is the best server OS created so far."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom