First look on Antilles or 6990. Its humongous

rchi84

In the zone
Let me take things a bit further.

In the current gen of cards, i find it really hard to justify a purchase of a 6970 or 570. Anyone who owns a 6950 can unlock the additional shaders and OC it at stock voltages to match the GPU speed of the 6970 (880 MHZ) with a bit of tweaking. Memory speed depends on the chip you've chosen, but usually, a 6950 from Asus or Powercolor can be memory OCd to match the memory on the 6970.

Cards like the Gigabyte SOC, Zotac Amp or even the Direct CU II 560 can match the performance of the 570, a solid 5-6K Rupees cheaper, which is a substantial amount of saving. I know that an OCd 570 will outrace an OCd 560 and almost match the 580, but if it saves me 6000 Rupees, then that's a compromise i can easily live with. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why these cards aren't so easy to get on the market.

All this is valid at at gaming around the resolution of 1200. But if you go higher, then both the 6970 and 570 don't match the performance of a 580 or even a 470 SLI. They're caught in a weird position, as they're too costly for the 1200 res gaming market, and too weak for the higher resolution market. That's why I can't see how long both Nvidia and AMD can hope to move bigger numbers on these cards without a drastic price drop.

The 6990 and the 590 are more useful as proof of concept, to show the maximum performance limits of the current architecture, rather than actually become sales leaders.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^what i think is its always best to get a stock card with a good cooler so that you can oc later when performance isnt up to the mark. oc reduces life of the components too along with other limits.

moreover if we consider sli or crossfire then always 6850 in cf better then 570 or 6970 and 6870 in cf better than 580 at same price levels. but that level of pertformnce want be noticeable and single have their benefits a lot lot lot. (470 sli sucks IMO).

and why shouldnt people with budget go for them.
eg as the games become more demanding higher cards benefit as in metro2033.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Your pic of info is not totally correct. only 1st released batch of HD 6950 cards can be unlocked to HD 6970, not all the cards. So if you want to buy now, I think you have to go for a HD 6970.

And you are very much true about GTX 560 factory Oced models, but their availability in Indian market is questionable and even if they are available, their price won't be 6K cheaper. There are lot of users, who, when purchasing a powerful nvidia card, want a little more in gaming... say PhysX.

now if you enable PhysX in a GTX 560, gaming performance will be a direct hit, which in case of 570 is not true.
And the thing is if you purchase a powerful enough card of your current gen, then it can stay in the gaming zone for a longer time in future. May be they won't be able to run the future games in their highest settings, but can run them with decent settings.

For example, people having cards like GTX 285, HD 4890 can still play all the current generation games with decent setting although they are more than 2 Years old.
So buying a little performance cards will make it also a little future proof.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ absolutely correct cilus. you nailed it bro. Going for a faster card always means a bit more futureproofing.

If one can afford a fast card, then he/she should go for it.

rchi84

In the zone
^^ I wasn't talking about flashing a 6970 Bios on a 6950 which was seriously dangerous and people didn't realise it. I am talking about using the Radeon bios Editor to extract the current 6950 Bios, do some tweaking to unlock the additional shaders, save the config in a new Bios which can then be flashed back onto the 6950.

This method has worked 100 % because it modifies the Bios the manufacturer bundled it with. Flashing the 6970 Bios is dangerous because the 6970 ships with much higher quality Memory which is also clocked and volted higher than the 6950.

What I tried to convey, is that the performance difference between a 560 and a 570 or a 6950 and 6970 is so less that it doesn't justify the price delta. The same as investing in a 580 wouldn't make sense when two cards from current gen or the mainstream card of the next gen will match its performance at the same price in the first case and much lower price in the latter.

now Bragging rights is something totally different and I agree there's a niche market of people who bought an i7 980 and felt like chumps when an i5 2500K outperforms it ;)

Gah! Vicky posted something when i was composing my reply to Cilus lol

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
rchi84, you got it wrong buddy.. for unlocking the Shades, you have to flash it with a HD 6970'sBIOS. And Using RBE or Radeon BIos Editor is a step for it. Without flashing it, you can just modify the Core clock speed and the memory speed, nothing else actually.
And now flashing the BIOS of any HD 69XX card is not at all dangerous. They have dual bios and a hardware switch to switch between them. So if anything goes wrong, just press the switch.... everything will be fine again.

2ndly the 100% success rate of HD6950->HD6970 Conversion is only with the 1st batch of cards... I've read the review too. Now a days the chance it very less.

RBE or radeon Bios Editor is not at all any authorized tool for editing Radeon cards' BIOS and its not at all easy. Once I have used it to flash my normal HD 5770's BIOS with an Oced one and I was successful, but the steps are very critical.
But in case of HD 6950 BIOS flashing the things are pretty much complex, you have to go for Command promt, once you finihed Bios flashing using RBE>

rchi84

In the zone
@cilus This isn't relevant to the 6990, but still, just to clear up the doubts.

You can unlock any 6950 std reference model (2 GB) by using a combination of AtiWinflash to dump your existing Bios somewhere, then downloading the solution posted on Entry number 381 on the following page:
How to enable additional shaders on Radeon HD 6950 - Page 16 - techPowerUp! Forums

You extract the files, run the necessary scripts on the dumped BIOS which is then modified to enable the additional Shaders and you use Winflash to Flash your BIOS with the newly created modified Bios. This does not require you to flash a 6970 BIOS on your 6950. Since the 6970 Bios already has all the shaders unlocked, Running the RBE is redundant in those cases.

Yeah the dual BIOS is great but some people ran into problems as running on a 6970 BIOS fried their memory when they OCd it to beyond the limits of the 6950. Plus, people tried to run an XFX 6970 bios on a Sapphire card for eg, forgetting that specifications change between manufacturers, which is the main source of problems.

That's why this approach is safer. It uses the same vendor BIOS, unlocks the shader and then you just OC it like a normal card.

My apologies to Nvidia fans who have zero interest in the 6950 unlock problems :D

I agree RBE isn't official, nor is it easy, but when has that ever stopped us from trying to get a better deal? lol

Cilus

laborare est orare
rchi84, the problem is I don't have any doubt, so please stop mentioning clearing up doubts. I did not use a single word for HD 6990 and the card is not yet released.
And the process you've mentioned is just valid for the 1st batch of HD 6950. I have read the process too. Ya, mistakenly told about the HD 6970 BIos flashing, thanks for correcting me out.

The 1st batch of HD 6950s are actually HD 6970 with extra shader units disabled through BIOS. So by some BIOS hacking that can be unlocked. It is same like unlocking the Shader processors of GTX 465 to a GTX 470.

But after that the new batch of HD 6950 has the shader processors removed through laser cut, they are not disabled through BIOS. Since there are no extra shaders, you can't unlock them.

rchi84

In the zone
^^ Hey sure. My bad.Sorry.

It makes sense. AMD can't afford to give too many freebies. I hope we can fall back on the pencil trick, if the worst comes to pass.

Back to antilles then. 6 Tflops! 4 GB DDR5! (2 Gb effective). 300/30 power consumption! Almost too good to be true. What price range do you think it will occupy? 500-600 or 600+?

My mind goes numb when i think of the crossfire possibilities..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's just wait for some reviews of both GTX595 and HD6970 ( in Crysis 2 ) side by side - it will make everything clear.

BTW, can somebody post a little bit more details on HD6990 - like mem and clock speed and SP counts etc.

rchi84

In the zone
Here's something to whet your appetites lol

Introduction - AMD Radeon HD 6990 "Antilles" Sneek Peek | [H]ard|OCP

Man, what a tease..

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Wat do AMD think ??
They want to produce a stove instead of graphics card - look @ the card 2 X caymen chip has awesome cooling fan , i think load temperature must be ^100deg.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also think the stock cooler may not be sufficient ( remember summer is coming ) though cards with custom cooler may deal with temps well.

rchi84

In the zone
Another tease guys. Take a look at this :

fg - Imgur

Not sure if it's legit though. Could be a prank for all I know.

Top Bottom