File transfer in Virtual Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,I installed VB today and installed XP and its running too smooth till now but the only prob is that i cant transfer fiels btw my ubutnu partitions and XP on virtual PC.how do i do that??
Help wud be appreciated:D

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
i had same prob with my VMware in XP which was running ubuntu.. Still couldn't figure how to do it, so using ma pen drive :))

i cant use a 4 GB pendrive to transfer fugging 6GB games!! :mad:

BTW does VM use its own proccy,GPU etc or it uses the real components coz it automatically detected sound card without installing any drivers?

@giga u can use vmplayer to transfer files btw host and guest OS by just dragging and dropping

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Open virtual box. Right click on the virtual machine and select Settings. Now on the left pane select "Shared folders". Share a folder on your physical drive.

Now boot into the guest OS. Once booted, press the "Focus out" key (right ctrl key by default), then goto Devices Menu and select "install guest addons".

The shared folder will now appear as a Network shared folder in Windows. Mount it and share files between the guest and host OS.

adn what abt transferring files from guest to host?
i dont wanna create another thread so im asking this question here-
can u tell me any scheduler for ubutnu?i wanna plan my DLs as i have a NU plan.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Guest to Host and vice versa. Unless you make the physical folder read-only in guest file transfer to and fro is possible.

Scheduler? Cron! The most powerful! Don't ask me how to use it, tho :D

Open virtual box. Right click on the virtual machine and select Settings. Now on the left pane select "Shared folders". Share a folder on your physical drive.

Now boot into the guest OS. Once booted, press the "Focus out" key (right ctrl key by default), then goto Devices Menu and select "install guest addons".

The shared folder will now appear as a Network shared folder in Windows. Mount it and share files between the guest and host OS.
It shows me only my filesystem partition but not the other ones :(

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
gnome-schedule, it uses cron.
Actually it's easy to use cron unless you want to do complicated stuff. I usually use cron to edit signatures attached to my mails.
It goes something like this
Code:
crontab -e
Code:
0 0 * * *         ~/.mutt/signature
~/.mutt/signature is the path to script which generates my signature.

mehulved

To start a GUI program at midnight, it would be something like this
Code:
0 0 * * *      DISPLAY = :0.0 /usr/bin/deluge

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
samba config is easy :)

*2tap.com/2007/04/22/sharing-files-between-a-windows-guest-and-ubuntu-host-using-vmware-and-samba/

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@Sunny
There are 2 versions of Virtual Box

1) Binary (available from sun's website)
2) Opensource edition (OSE) in ubuntu repos. Which one are you using?

This guide may help you: *ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/02/01/how-to-do-seamless-window-integration-with-ubuntu-virtualbox/

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
someone suggested setting up samba server between host and guest :?
No need.The shared folder thing suggested by infra works fine for me in OSE edition.
@ Sunny: you will need to install Guest additions in XP and not in Ubuntu.
[offtopic]Me is thinking of installing opensolaris express as guest in Ubuntu.Have got vacations, so too much free time nowadays :D Any solaris user can share his experience with it here.?[/offtopic]

mehulved

I have just started with OpenSolaris. But haven't explored further due to lack of time. But, it's too slow on my 2GHz proccy. I have allocated 768MB of RAM to it, that's good enough. But, my processor always hangs around 95-100%. And firefox didn't even start after 20 mins both the times I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom