File copying prob !

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
*s1.postimage.org/ghv0l5q7t/Untitled.png​

U saw that ?? This is with my PC - Specs in my signature

I have a dell Studio 15 and it takes file copying at 15MB/sec ( I use the same teracopy there also )

copy was from HDD to Pen drive

Why is it so ???
Is there something wrong with my PC ??

I don't have any malware !

Last edited:

MAK5577

Broken In
Hi bro its me mak better u try to uninstall tera copy and reinstall tera copy if it does not fix the problem then install the previous version of tera copy then it will work smoothly without ny issues........have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!:) AND ALSO U CAN GET ALL OLDER AND LATEST VERSIONS OF TERA COPY ON WWW.FILEHIPPO.COM

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
First of all, no one can ever be sure that they don't have any malware. Just because your AV doesn't find any, it doesn't mean that you don't have them. I'm not saying that your problem is caused by malware, but it's something to keep in mind.

You left out one piece of info: What are the source and destination of the file you're copying? Are they both in the same HDD, HDD to HDD, thumb drive to HDD, DVD to HDD, etc.?

Even 14 MB/s is quite slow. My configuration (AMD 7750+ & 4GB) is roughly comparable to yours and I get 40-55 MB/s copying partition-to-partition within the same HDD. Copying to and from thumb drives and CD/DVDs are much slower.

*img69.imageshack.us/img69/430/copyspeed.png

AV progs and file fragmentation can slow things down, but not to the speeds you're getting. Assuming that you're copying within the same HDD, the slow speed could be caused by a bad sector, a corrupt file system, some background task with a high CPU usage. What is your CPU usage when idle and while copying? Are other tasks also running slow?

Last edited:
OP
TheMost

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
^ I completely agree with u ...

Mistake is mine - I forgot to mention that the copy was from HDD to Pen drive !!

Regarding malware - I ain't dependent on AV solution and know what processes is running !

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Copying speed depends on pendrive write speed...
& 15MB/s is average speed..

also depends how old is the pendrive

I get 30~35MB/sec while copying

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
15MB/s is average for a USB device. Try to use the Windows file copy and take a note of the speed.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Copying to a thumb drive at 5.3 MB/s is not too slow. It's not super-fast, but it's well within reason. What makes it difficult to judge the speed is that thumb drives differ widely in speeds. I've tested drives at write speeds from less than 1 MB/s to >15 MB/s for the same file. Even different samples of the same model differ in speed.

Another thing is that write speed is always lower than read speed for the same drive. If you get a read speed of 14 MB/s and a write speed of ~5 MB/s with the same unit, that's within the normal range for thumb drives.

Still another thing is that speed can vary widely between a single large file and a number of small files.

OP
TheMost

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
Copying speed depends on pendrive write speed...
& 15MB/s is average speed..

also depends how old is the pendrive

I get 30~35MB/sec while copying

My prob is y i get low speeds in my PC when i get 15 MB/sec in my laptop ??

OP
TheMost

TheMost

Simply.. Evolution !!
Oh that makes a difference ah ?
ya i'm talking like that only ..

I get 17MB/sec on PC while i read !

Sorry guys !

:ashamed: :ashamed: :ashamed: :ashamed: :ashamed: :ashamed: :ashamed:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
does 'tera copy' copy the file faster then default copier ?
Depends. For small copying tasks, TeraCopy can actually make things slower, mostly because of the time it takes to load the prog. But for large amounts of data, it's definitely faster than the Windows copy tool.

TeraCopy has an option to make it the default copier or not. I turn it off as the default and turn it on when I want to transfer large amounts of data.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or you can tinker with the settings and turn on the scroll-lock to turn teracopy off. :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
does 'tera copy' copy the file faster then default copier ?

TeraCopy is way better than defualt copy process in windows XP but
in Windows 7 almost similar.

Teracopy claims to give a boost in speed while copying...
but it has nice features like queuing,resume etc.

For Windows XP users it is highly recommended.
but windows 7 users its optional. :grin:

Top Bottom