fedora 7 from digit DVD to my DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninad_mhatre85

Journeyman
hey just received digit DVD today i was lokking for fedora7 from many days now my que is how can i write another DVD that will have only fedora7 and not other stuff . can i simply copy files and burn it in DVD or is there any other way ?

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Make ISO archive of the DVD. Then remove all files other than Fedora 7 Files. Then burn the ISO.

Last edited:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
BlackBerry7100g said:
stylesheet folder belongs to fedora ?
It may be for some HTML help. Usually it does not have such things. I have downloaded ISOs of FC-6. They didn't have any such thing. :)

BBThumbHealer

BlackBerry Guru ! :)
Hey buddies, i burned all the available folders n files on Fedora 7 Provided by digit dvd but fedora isn't booting up.....

here's list of files n folders present in burned DVD :::

*img152.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=80232_1_122_814lo.jpg

plz help...i wanna switch over to linux as soon as possible....

BBThumbHealer

BlackBerry Guru ! :)
i don't get any error ..... when i select to boot from DVD Writer ...it just doesn't show any thing...my Vista's bootloader loads....

@ mehul...readme doesn't contains ne relative knowledge.. :(

din

Tribal Boy
BlackBerry7100g said:
plz help...i wanna switch over to linux as soon as possible....

Sorry, I am not sure how to do it, but if you wanna switch to linux rt now, why not using the Digit DVD itself, I think its bootable isn't it ?

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
there are a couple of things to check in general -

1. check if boot from CD is enabled in bios
2. varify that the [strike]boob[/strike] boot sector is copied to the new image u r creating from the digit dvd.

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
Rollercoaster said:
there are a couple of things to check in general -

1. check if boot from CD is enabled in bios
2. varify that the boob sector is copied to the new image u r creating from the digit dvd.

LOL, sorry offtopic and I know its just a typo but couldn't resist my laugh - which sector ? ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Rollercoaster said:
2. varify that the boob sector is copied to the new image u r creating from the digit dvd.
hehe.. exactly! the "boob" sector is the culprit. even if u haf correctly identified the fedora installation files and burnt to the dvd it won't boot unless u haf the correct "boot" sector. you haf 2 options.

using ur cd/dvd burning software make an iso of the digit dvd. now use an iso editing software like isobuster, winiso, magic iso etc. to remove the files other than fedora installation files as suggested above.

you haf one more choice. if u are sure that you've correctly identified all the fedora installation files then add these to the root of a new compiltion. pop in digit dvd and extract the boot sector (again using isobuster, winiso, winimage, magiciso etc.). now in ur new compilation make it a bootable dvd and point the boot sector to the file which is extracted from the digit dvd.

rohandhruva

Broken In
There is a way, but I am not sure it will work. If it does, it's the easiest way.

1) Make an iso of the digit DVD, and name it EXACTLY - F-7-i386-DVD.iso Save this file in any suitable location
2) Download the DVD torrent of Fedora 7 from - *torrent.fedoraproject.org/torrents//Fedora-7-i386.torrent
3) Open the torrent in a bittorrent client (e.g. utorrent - *utorrent.com/ for windows), and it will ask you for the location to download the file
4) Direct the bittorrent client to download the file in the same location where you saved F-7-i386-DVD.iso
5) The bittorrent client will check the complete ISO file, and "repair" the "broken" bits- in this case the "broken" bits are the extra files which digit added, because they are not contained in official Fedora 7 DVD torrent.

I'd suggest using this method, as this will give you a bootable DVD iso with the perfect MD5SUM match as the torrent provided by fedora project.

If it does not work, and the torrent client tries to download the complete 2.7gb repeat the same procedure, but this time use the ISO you created (the one which does not boot), and not the ISO of the digit dvd. Follow the steps exactly, especially the naming part. Basically, we are just ensuring that the torrent client checks the existing file, and doesn't start a new download.

Hope that helps :)

rohandhruva

Broken In
No, HE DOES NOT have a point. When you just copy data off the dvd and burn it, the BOOT SECTOR OF THE DVD IS NOT COPIED. Either use the method I said, which is bound to work, or use the digit dvd itself.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
The Unknown said:
Stop laughing. RollerCoaster has the point.
yeah, we all fully agree wid him.... but i think you missed out something.. ;) rollercoster sure has a 'point' :D or a region i must say!!! :D :D :D

@ninad_mhatre85
is ur problem solved now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom